Should the Chargers relocate?

biggie.

While watching last night's game, I was really irked by how bad the Chargers "home crowd" was. The cheers for Pittsburgh were noticeably louder, which reinforces how little LA cares for the Chargers.

With this in mind, should the Chargers find a new home? Portland, OR is a fast growing market and STL could use a return to football.

Edited by biggie.

24 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

With Herbo and Staley, if they keep winning... in LA a bandwagon city, fanbase will explode. 

I agree on this part - to get the LA market, you've got to win. If LAC keeps going this way, they'll start getting that sweet LA money.

41 minutes ago, biggie. said:

With this in mind, should the Chargers find a new home?

I'm of the mindset that thay should have never left San Diego, tbh. But, here we are... and you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube on this one, gotta stick it out.

If the Chargers DID move, Portland would be ideal - Justin Herbert would bring in droves of fans from his days at Oregon. If Portland was the destination, I'd take a page from the Tennessee Titans (not Nashville Titans, mind you) and brand it as "Oregon [insert team name here]"  - might as well claim the entire state, right?

• Like 3

Just now, Chiefer said:

Shouldve been the Chargers in Vegas and the Raiders in LA

Sorry to launch into a different tangent, but why Los Angeles? Sure, it's proven LA can support two teams... but it's also proven that LA can LOSE two teams, too.

Look into Portland OR, Salt Lake City UT, San Antonio TX... cities that have rabid, crazy fanbases (as evidenced by the success of the Trailblazers, Jazz and Spurs). Sheer  numbers will make Los Angeles a better financial "floor" but the flaky nature of LA fanbase will always limit the ceiling...

• Like 3

Just now, ET80 said:

Sorry to launch into a different tangent, but why Los Angeles? Sure, it's proven LA can support two teams... but it's also proven that LA can LOSE two teams, too.

Look into Portland OR, Salt Lake City UT, San Antonio TX... cities that have rabid, crazy fanbases (as evidenced by the success of the Trailblazers, Jazz and Spurs). Sheer  numbers will make Los Angeles a better financial "floor" but the flaky nature of LA fanbase will always limit the ceiling...

Raiders already have a huge built in following in LA, its why they took over Qualcomm so heavily back in the day.

• Like 1

Just now, Chiefer said:

Raiders already have a huge built in following in LA, its why they took over Qualcomm so heavily back in the day.

Raiders have a national following, IMO. It's not Green Bay/Dallas/Pittsburgh, sure - but their following has been pretty spread out and loyal through some lean years.

I get what you're saying, but I think they'd be able to build up in the markets I've mentioned (San Antonio would be a challenge because Dallas has such a stranglehold on Texas as a whole... but there aren't plenty of Texans' fans looking for a non-Cowboys alternative, and there's money to be had in that).

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Raiders have a national following, IMO. It's not Green Bay/Dallas/Pittsburgh, sure - but their following has been pretty spread out and loyal through some lean years.

I get what you're saying, but I think they'd be able to build up in the markets I've mentioned (San Antonio would be a challenge because Dallas has such a stranglehold on Texas as a whole... but there aren't plenty of Texans' fans looking for a non-Cowboys alternative, and there's money to be had in that).

Yeah but its centralized in LA specifically, and after all these terrible years the core fans are still there.

Chargers need to get out of California because theyre considered a joke there. Limped into a new stadium into a new city where nobody really wanted them. They’re gaining a following slowly but surely, just like the Clippers.

• Like 1

Maybe 15 years from now when that stadium is not state of the art but everything about LA football is trendy now.

The Chargers sell tickets, its just that lots of them go to other teams fans right now.

That changes over time when

1 - you have a good product with star players  (check)

2 - you win

3 - you get further away from the scumbag move of abandoning SD when SD and OC is part of the fanbase that would go to those games.

• Like 1

As long as the Spanos family own the team, don't think it would ever happen....but if the team changed ownership, San Diego would be a fantastic move-back.     It was the stadium issue, and the Spanos greed (for which we're seeing exposed with the Kroenke case), never about the fanbase or fan support.

The day the Spanos family doesn't own the Chargers, I could see momentum build if the LA affinity for  the Chargers wanes (and with a bright new stadium and a winning team with a bright young star QB at the helm, this is the time for the honeymoon phase).    But that's a long ways off IMO, if ever.   And if the Spanos family remains in control, total no-go.

• Like 3