Should the Chargers relocate?

biggie.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

As long as the Spanos family own the team, don't think it would ever happen....but if the team changed ownership, San Diego would be a fantastic move-back.     It was the stadium issue, and the Spanos greed (for which we're seeing exposed with the Kroenke case), never about the fanbase or fan support.

The day the Spanos family doesn't own the Chargers, I could see momentum build if the LA affinity for  the Chargers wanes (and with a bright new stadium and a winning team with a bright young star QB at the helm, this is the time for the honeymoon phase).    But that's a long ways off IMO, if ever.   And if the Spanos family remains in control, total no-go.

the fan support is an issue, but it's a snowball effect issue from the Spanos family being the worst and that stadium being not worth the price of admission.

39 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

the fan support is an issue, but it's a snowball effect issue from the Spanos family being the worst and that stadium being not worth the price of admission.

Sure, but the misguided attempt by the Spanos family to try and get the taxpayers to give them a free stadium is what broke the relationship.    Which we now see to what extreme ownership goes to with the Kroenke lawsuit.   The fallout from that would make SD viable if the Chargers ever came calling with a more reasonable plan - but never with the Spanos family in charge.    I suspect you likely are on the same page judging by the reply, but since we're widening the lens, might as well go full angle.

Edited by Broncofan

Vegas was filled with the like 60% Chiefs fans last week yet I don’t see any threads about the Raiders moving from Vegas. 

As much as I would like them to come back to SD the sky is the limit in terms of how big they can become as an LA franchise if Herbert/Staley can make them perennial contenders. 

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Austin might be worth doing. That’s where all the money is locating to. 

I don’t think there will be another Texas team until Jerry dies. 

And even then starting fresh in Texas would be really difficult because the Cowboys are so big in the entire state. 

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Raiders have a national following, IMO. It's not Green Bay/Dallas/Pittsburgh, sure - but their following has been pretty spread out and loyal through some lean years.

I get what you're saying, but I think they'd be able to build up in the markets I've mentioned (San Antonio would be a challenge because Dallas has such a stranglehold on Texas as a whole... but there aren't plenty of Texans' fans looking for a non-Cowboys alternative, and there's money to be had in that).

I think the allure of San Antonio, if you are projecting out 10-20 years, is Austin.

30 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Vegas was filled with the like 60% Chiefs fans last week yet I don’t see any threads about the Raiders moving from Vegas. 

As much as I would like them to come back to SD the sky is the limit in terms of how big they can become as an LA franchise if Herbert/Staley can make them perennial contenders. 

The Raiders run LA and socal. It's obvious. At this point I don't think anyone can deny it. I'm in socal now and the LA fanbase is still absolutely massive. There's a reason Kroenke didn't want them to co-occupy the same stadium.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I think the allure of San Antonio, if you are projecting out 10-20 years, is Austin.

I'm all for Austin getting a team, tbh. This hypothetical 3rd franchise in Texas would probably become my primary team (unless Cal McNair sold the Texans...)

50 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The Raiders run LA and socal. It's obvious. At this point I don't think anyone can deny it. I'm in socal now and the LA fanbase is still absolutely massive. There's a reason Kroenke didn't want them to co-occupy the same stadium.

I don’t mean this in an offensive way but the bigger reason is the nfl doesn’t think the Raiders or their fanbase is a good image for the league. So they didn’t want them occupying the 2nd largest media market in the US. 

Also I don’t think any team runs LA or SoCal. Raiders may have a plurality of the fanbase but no team sniffs an outright majority. Raiders/Pats/Cowboys/Steelers/Packers/Rams/Chargers/49ers all have decent sized fanbases in SoCal. 

But my point still stands. Rams and Raiders games also regularly get taken over and it’s conveniently never talked about in media or on message boards. 

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

As long as the Spanos family own the team, don't think it would ever happen....but if the team changed ownership, San Diego would be a fantastic move-back.     It was the stadium issue, and the Spanos greed (for which we're seeing exposed with the Kroenke case), never about the fanbase or fan support.

The day the Spanos family doesn't own the Chargers, I could see momentum build if the LA affinity for  the Chargers wanes (and with a bright new stadium and a winning team with a bright young star QB at the helm, this is the time for the honeymoon phase).    But that's a long ways off IMO, if ever.   And if the Spanos family remains in control, total no-go.

Yup the Spanos family is the problem.

5 hours ago, Jeezla said:

The Chargers need new ownership that will build a new stadium in SD that the people of SD can actually be proud of and doesn't have a bunch of obstructed views.

This is the only acceptable answer. The Padres have an amazing ballpark right next to the Gaslamp District and yet have been mediocre to awful for decades (Altho they’re trending up).  Meanwhile the Chargers had some outstanding teams and get jettisoned to a city that never wanted them. It’s messed up. 

25 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

This is the only acceptable answer. The Padres have an amazing ballpark right next to the Gaslamp District and yet have been mediocre to awful for decades (Altho they’re trending up).  Meanwhile the Chargers had some outstanding teams and get jettisoned to a city that never wanted them. It’s messed up. 

I’m pretty sure Petco was taxpayer funded. And baseball stadiums in 2004 cost a fraction of what an nfl stadium costs in 2021. 

Hopefully they end up back in San Diego eventually. Herbert might be good enough to make the LA thing work in the medium term, but if there are lean years down the line it wouldn’t surprise me at all if the city gave up on them again. It’s a shame they had to move - the San Diego Chargers looks, sounds and feels right.

You could say the same about the Oakland Raiders, but that one is never reversing. The Chargers might, but not for some time.

8 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Shouldve been the Chargers in Vegas and the Raiders in LA

Personally I just think they should've stayed in San Diego so I don't have to learn a new city+team combo. But whatever Vegas fine. The most important thing is that the Raiders should've gotten L.A. The rest of the owners boned Mark Davis so hard.

17 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Personally I just think they should've stayed in San Diego so I don't have to learn a new city+team combo. But whatever Vegas fine. The most important thing is that the Raiders should've gotten L.A. The rest of the owners boned Mark Davis so hard.

Spanos is the biggest boner