Let's Talk GM/Ryan Pace

soulman

3 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Good point.  I just feel like the weirdo for not being enthusiastic  about the guy. It's like having your daughter's new boyfriend over for the first time, and no one else seems to notice or care that he keeps coming back from frequent trips the bathroom sniffing and wiping his nose and he never seems to look up from the Grindr app on his phone. And he drives a PT Cruiser. 

To me developing Fields is the top priority. If that happens then the franchise has a serious chance to own the NFC North for 10+ years. Bears have been trash for the bulk of 60 years because of its inability to develop one. Even when an all time roster was put together in the 80s the QBs still sucked and was why they missed out on numerous Super Bowls. 

Also that is a disturbingly detailed nightmare scenario.   

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 8:58 PM, Sugashane said:

Youre at least looking logically. I like to point out irrelevant facts. 

Moore still has never shaved

Daboll needs a box to step on to see, or Legolas to describe what's happening. Hes in a booster seat in the box and no one can convince me otherwise

Leftwich has asymmetrical ears 

Roman looks like he smells lile cabbage. 

McDaniels looks like he'd call the cops on your kids for being out 5 minutes past curfew

LOLOL......Bring back Da' Coach.  He only smells like pork chops and pricey cigars.  🤣

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 9:47 PM, topwop1 said:

Ok Heinz you had a point until this comment. Even if you dislike the guy there's no denying that he is a very good O coordinator. Let's be real.

I get your concerns about his time in Denver and bailing in the Colts last minute but this guy knows offensive football better than any offensive coach the Bears have ever employed in their existence. I know that's not a high bar to beat but just saying..

I think he deserves a shot.

You're telling me if Bears had the choice between Leslie Frazier and McDaniels you would go with the former?

While Heinz may be questioning McD's effectiveness as an OC I doubt most of us are.  It's his somewhat legendary arrogance and his ethics (or a lack thereof) that at least some question including myself.  Can both be restrained?  I dunno.

On 12/10/2021 at 2:11 AM, Madmike90 said:

Well yes I do know...Cutler never made it to a super bowl and wasn't an elite QB...maybe it's just the way some Bears fans are conditioned but having an "above average" QB in the NFL means you don't have much...it means you will have one or two really good years and maybe even a play off win...but you will also most be hovering around what was 9-7...McDaniels clearly didn't want that...nor should we...Tebow was terrible no doubt about it but at least Denver tried to find an elite playmaker at the position...they failed...but I would rather that than the death of a thousand cuts knows as mediocrity...

OK, let's play fair here.  Cutler came one half of one NFCC game from making it to a SB.  We don't know what the final score of that game against GB may have been had Cutler not started the game injured and then became even more injured and unable to play the 2nd half.  We lost that game 21-14 mostly due to a cheap TD GB got off a Caleb Hanie pick and we're driving when the game ended.

I would not argue that Cutler was an "elite" QB in the terms more typically used to call a QB elite but Cutler was always a far better QB than many will ever give him credit for.  Most of his career played out on marginal teams or worse and in Chicago most often without the OL and receivers most QBs require to become "elite" QBs and there are truly only a handful of those anyway.

And as far as the Tebow vs Cutler "elite" thing no one believed Tim Tebow could ever be an elite NFL playmaker and certainly not a better one that Jay Cutler was even then.  Drafting Tebow was McD's way of thumbing his nose at the NFL establishment looking to boost is own ego by actually trying to make an NFL QB out of a guy who was about as effective passing as Bobby Douglass once was.  Tebow was strictly a McD move that horrified Bronco front office which is why McD can't be the only guy running a draft.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Meh. None of us know, we are just choosing traits and weighing perceived pros and cons. Some get really passionate about one or two but whatever. Im just content to know Nagy is gone soon. 

McDaniels to me is a massive swing that will either develop Fields into a top 5 QB or we will be drafting in the top 5 for the next few years. I'd much rather take that than the "safe" picks with lower potential ceilings. 

Plus with people who may be abrasive a-holes like McDaniels and Harbaugh, we don't have to deal with them. Lol

More than anything this may be why guys like McD and/or Harbaugh may not be at the top of the Bears prospect list.

Other than old man Halas himself I don't know that the Bears have ever had a more abrasive HC than Mike Ditka.  He could test the patience of Mother Theresa but he was also the second winningest HC in Bears history and actually the winningest in the modern era.  Lovie was stubborn as an old mule but never abrasive and Trestman was like a science nerd from The Big Bang Theory.

The McCaskys, or at least Mikey, couldn't get rid of Ditka fast enough to suit themselves and have never hired another HC or GM with a similar personality.  Unless they are extremely desperate and willing to throw both caution to the wind and huge sums of money on another HC and staff I have to rate the potential for hiring a Harbaugh or McD as being lower than others.

I'm not saying I'm correct or in any way clairvoyant I'm just setting the odds in the same way any odds maker would very likely do.

21 hours ago, Sugashane said:

To me developing Fields is the top priority. If that happens then the franchise has a serious chance to own the NFC North for 10+ years. Bears have been trash for the bulk of 60 years because of its inability to develop one. Even when an all time roster was put together in the 80s the QBs still sucked and was why they missed out on numerous Super Bowls. 

Also that is a disturbingly detailed nightmare scenario.   

Freddy says high and uh.....pleasant dreams.

l-intro-1619649427.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, soulman said:

OK, let's play fair here.  Cutler came one half of one NFCC game from making it to a SB.  We don't know what the final score of that game against GB may have been had Cutler not started the game injured and then became even more injured and unable to play the 2nd half.  We lost that game 21-14 mostly due to a cheap TD GB got off a Caleb Hanie pick and we're driving when the game ended.

I would not argue that Cutler was an "elite" QB in the terms more typically used to call a QB elite but Cutler was always a far better QB than many will ever give him credit for.  Most of his career played out on marginal teams or worse and in Chicago most often without the OL and receivers most QBs require to become "elite" QBs and there are truly only a handful of those anyway.

And as far as the Tebow vs Cutler "elite" thing no one believed Tim Tebow could ever be an elite NFL playmaker and certainly not a better one that Jay Cutler was even then.  Drafting Tebow was McD's way of thumbing his nose at the NFL establishment looking to boost is own ego by actually trying to make an NFL QB out of a guy who was about as effective passing as Bobby Douglass once was.  Tebow was strictly a McD move that horrified Bronco front office which is why McD can't be the only guy running a draft.

If we are going to play fair then Rex Grossman was a more successful QB than Cutler because he got us to a Superbowl...

In all seriousness the point I am making is Cutler was never a QB who could put a team on his back and win...McDaniels saw that in NE and wanted to try and create the same thing in Denver...was Tebow a guy in college who put a team on his back and won? Absolutely probably more than anyone not named Vince Young...now the transition clearly didn't happen and I was also one of the people who said Tebow would never be an NFL QB but do I think it was crazy to at least try and hit on a star rather than a guy who was good for 8 or 9 middle of the road victories a year? 100%...we must get away from mediocrity so much like McDaniels a long long time ago took a bold shot with Tebow and I must rather we took a bold shot with McDaniels...risk it being bad for the next 3 to 4 years vs it being great for the next 25 years...risk and reward at its finest.  

1 hour ago, soulman said:

I can't love this post more

On 12/9/2021 at 9:03 PM, blkwdw13 said:

Always had elite play makers and OL, has zero run game beyond the QB, college coach at an elite recruiting school, college coach, his teams got worse every season, never been away from Arians. Every HC has something that people aren't going to like.

Hell, were Belichick to come here this offseason there’d be at least a few people who are concerned about the potential longevity of his run here given his nice age.

Hire qualified, competent people to select a qualified candidate and then do everything within reason to set them up for success. Much like the draft, from there a lot of it comes down to luck. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1