Way too early 2022 offseason thoughts

warfelg

What’s everyone’s take on ILB next year? It’s definitely a weak position going into next season. 

I’d like to keep Spillane, Bush, and Buddy. Bring in a versatile vet and let them all compete. I don’t think we’ll do anything drastic. Bush will most likely improve. Spillane isn’t the literal worst ILB. Buddy showed a lot of potential in college. Improve that d-line and it improves the ILB position. Not vice versa, though. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What’s everyone’s take on ILB next year? It’s definitely a weak position going into next season. 

I’d like to keep Spillane, Bush, and Buddy. Bring in a versatile vet and let them all compete. I don’t think we’ll do anything drastic. Bush will most likely improve. Spillane isn’t the literal worst ILB. Buddy showed a lot of potential in college. Improve that d-line and it improves the ILB position. Not vice versa, though. 

I’m gonna assume they’re going to cut Schobert...however I think they’re gonna add a solid tier vet...now who I’m not sure.

They place a premium on the position as shown by the Shazier and Bush picks(and that trade up)

• Like 1

Just thinking out loud, what about drafting an EDGE in the 1st or 2nd?

Highsmith was inconsistent at times but I’m talking more of BPA and to a lesser extent getting a 3rd guy that can rotate in and keep them fresh.

Is the Edge named Hutchison or Thibodeaux?  If not then No.  Is draft is deep in EDGE players.  Steelers NEED NEED NEEEEEEEEED Oline talent.  If they pass on Cross or Ekwonu or Neal or Kenyon Green or Petit-Frere I will sue the Steelers for gross misconduct in the draft.  If the 1st 4 are gone I could see Gardner as the pick and I might totally not throw a fit if Jameson Williams is the pick but it depends who is on the board.

IMHO, if the st 4 Olinemen are gone, I would trade down to get a next years #1 from another team.  The Steeler QB of the future is in the 2023 draft and they need some capital to move up.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Is the Edge named Hutchison or Thibodeaux?  If not then No.  Is draft is deep in EDGE players.  Steelers NEED NEED NEEEEEEEEED Oline talent.  If they pass on Cross or Ekwonu or Neal or Kenyon Green or Petit-Frere I will sue the Steelers for gross misconduct in the draft.  If the 1st 4 are gone I could see Gardner as the pick and I might totally not throw a fit if Jameson Williams is the pick but it depends who is on the board.

IMHO, if the st 4 Olinemen are gone, I would trade down to get a next years #1 from another team.  The Steeler QB of the future is in the 2023 draft and they need some capital to move up.

Oh I’m not advocating for it, it was just a random thought of mine.

Id be curious on Jameson Williams in the 1st as well as purely BPA on a middle tier need.

Are OL and secondary pretty much the positions you’re looking at in the 1st?

I am looking at Oline 1st and 2nd.  Perhaps 3rd but that will get reserved for a possible BPA if I could not trade down.

Looking at picking 15th right now.  If Cross, Ekwonu, Neal and Kenyon Green are gone there are still some good options at OT but are they worth the 15th pick?  Gardner is a shutdown CB.  Williamson adds speed to the WR position that they desperately need.  Again, Fa will tell us a lot on what they do. 

If they do not take OL in the first they would have to trade up in the 2ndto get Rainmann or Faalele.  Both are developmental OTs with huge upside.

17 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I am looking at Oline 1st and 2nd.  Perhaps 3rd but that will get reserved for a possible BPA if I could not trade down.

Looking at picking 15th right now.  If Cross, Ekwonu, Neal and Kenyon Green are gone there are still some good options at OT but are they worth the 15th pick?  Gardner is a shutdown CB.  Williamson adds speed to the WR position that they desperately need.  Again, Fa will tell us a lot on what they do. 

If they do not take OL in the first they would have to trade up in the 2ndto get Rainmann or Faalele.  Both are developmental OTs with huge upside.

I haven’t looked into the Interior OL guys too much besides Linderbaum...anyone else worthy of a mid 1st in your eyes?

13 hours ago, AFF said:

I haven’t looked into the Interior OL guys too much besides Linderbaum...anyone else worthy of a mid 1st in your eyes?

K.Green for sure.
D.Kinnard maybe. Maybe early round 2.
Z.Johnson more like a second rounder.
Some others...
J.Salyer
E.Ingram

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I retract any support I gave for signing Chuks in the off season.  He is still being beat by Clowney this morning.

I watched the ManningCast and Peyton just stopped short of saying we need a whole new OL and left it at “guys are getting beat in ways they shouldn’t”.