Way too early 2022 offseason thoughts

warfelg

9 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Do most of our OL fit Zone or Power scheme? RPO is a better fit for Power, right?

I feel like they fit a stretch zone….which isn’t not a great fit here. Inside power zone is what works best with RPO as you try to collapse one side of the defensive line and make the DE/EDGE make a choice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Very random but I have a weird feeling Christian Kirk is going to be our starting slot WR next year. Just really feels like a Steelers type signing to me.

I have a feeling we’re gonna sign a solid WR in FA...that or use a decently high pick on one.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I feel like they fit a stretch zone….which isn’t not a great fit here. Inside power zone is what works best with RPO as you try to collapse one side of the defensive line and make the DE/EDGE make a choice. 

The tackles fit stretch zone but the OGs are power in-line blockers.  The key, for me, is Najee seems to do better in in-line schemes vs zone runs

• Like 1

11 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Is that how Bama used for their OL?

11 hours ago, jebrick said:

Bama did mostly inline blocking but I am sure they had some zone concepts.

Bama runs what I think that Canada wants. A combo zone/man type scheme. 

This scheme Tomlada wants is interesting. You want mauler types to get down on someone, but they need to move like a zone concept. They need to latch onto a guy and move them sideways. If they are doing RPO, the QB needs to be a threat to run. If the weak side DE crashes, QB keeps and runs or throws to the backside. If the DE stays home, the OL should continue to man and stretch until the hole is there for the RB to one cut. 

I think the issue was Ben always like Zone Blocking because it helped his movement in the pocket. Harris works best downhill off the cut. Ben was never a threat to run it. It was easy to defend. DEs never stayed at home and LBs rarely came up. 

I think this new offense is going to be a vast departure from what we’ve seen. We’re going to see the field stretched vertically and horizontally in a way we haven’t since the Willie Parker/Santonio Holmes days. 

• Like 1

OL market this offseason is going to be interesting:

Cincy, Buffalo, KC are contenders that will be in need. Pitt, Miami, NYJ will all have money and need it. Jax, Oak will be looking. And that’s just the AFC. My guy feeling is everyone is going to come away with one, no one will get two OL players in FA without getting lucky. 

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Cincy, Buffalo, KC are contenders that will be in need. Pitt, Miami, NYJ will all have money and need it. Jax, Oak will be looking. And that’s just the AFC. My guy feeling is everyone is going to come away with one, no one will get two OL players in FA without getting lucky. 

I think one FA is plenty on the O-line. Obviously, depending on the talent level. If we get a good FA and a nice draft pick it would go a long way to fixing our line. I think Dotson and Moore have shown enough to warrant keeping spots. It's not crazy to think Green could take a major leap(he has to to even be an average starter) either. Chuks is probably not the answer, nor is Turner. If we could come away with a solid RT and OG in the draft and FA we'll be sitting pretty. Maybe Hassenaur will improve and provide a solid backup/competition for C, or we sign an experience mid level vet. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Off memory, there’s a lot of good OGs available...Center seemed top heavy and the OTs the were pretty sparse.

I think they’ll snag a guard but wondering the go get a proven Center like Jensen.

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think one FA is plenty on the O-line. Obviously, depending on the talent level. If we get a good FA and a nice draft pick it would go a long way to fixing our line. I think Dotson and Moore have shown enough to warrant keeping spots. It's not crazy to think Green could take a major leap(he has to to even be an average starter) either. Chuks is probably not the answer, nor is Turner. If we could come away with a solid RT and OG in the draft and FA we'll be sitting pretty. Maybe Hassenaur will improve and provide a solid backup/competition for C, or we sign an experience mid level vet. 

2 hours ago, AFF said:

Off memory, there’s a lot of good OGs available...Center seemed top heavy and the OTs the were pretty sparse.

I think they’ll snag a guard but wondering the go get a proven Center like Jensen.

I was talking more in general because there’s talk of Cincy nabbing 3 new OL, Buffalo getting 2, NYJ want 3. 

21 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Very random but I have a weird feeling Christian Kirk is going to be our starting slot WR next year. Just really feels like a Steelers type signing to me.

I'd love to have him. I love the idea of a burner out of the slot. We've had a lot of speed before and a lot of good slot guys, but never in the same player. 

• Like 1