Way too early 2022 offseason thoughts

warfelg

18 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Please watch at least 5 games of Linderbaum. He isn't the talent that he's been prepped up to be. Don't trust the sites but look for yourself. You'll be disappointed.

Who are you hoping for and who would you settle for in round one?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, C$! said:

My mock (using the Draft Network mock machine):

1. K. Green OG Texas Tech

2. B Raimann  OT Central Michigan

3. Chad Muma LB Wyoming

4. John Ridgeway IDL Arkansas

7a. Isaiah Pola-Mao S USC

7b. Samori Toure WR Nebraska

I've done so many on there, but here's my latest...

1. K.Green, OG, TA&M
2. K.Elam, CB,. Florida
3. Q.Walker, ILB, Georgia
4. D.Rosenthal, OT, Kentucky (via LSU)
7a. L.O'Neal, SS, TA&M
7b. PJ Mustipher, DT, PSU

2 hours ago, DR43 said:

Who are you hoping for and who would you settle for in round one?

Honestly, position isn't important; I just want the best player. Nakobe Dean is short (6) & light (225) so he could be in play. There are some elite athletic DBs who could be instant difference makers. I like Matt Corrall & Malik Willis at that spot. What about you?

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

AR2 does not know what he is looking for.  What can I say?

Not much more. Sounds to me more like Hunt or Khan are the winner but Colbert has no clue how to fix it and set them up. This is why I’m actually pro outsider candidate. 

Also - RC is on Get Up right now and he’s ripping Mason Rudolph and the FO for the comments on Mason starting. Said he feels as though Tomlin will have a lot of input, but said Colbert does have final say and *gulp* said Colbert running the offseason without having a successor named is the worse decision they’ve made. 

• Like 1

The FO is blowing smoke at this time.  Willis interest could be real could be a smoke screen.  Standing by Bibberty could be real could be a smoke screen.  The talking heads are getting worked up about nothing.  Now I will hear why the Steelers should trade the farm for Jimmy "f'ing" G from Max K.

I would hire either of the Colts FO guys interviewed ( unless they are total dickheads) based on their drafts that last 4 years

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jebrick said:

The FO is blowing smoke at this time.  Willis interest could be real could be a smoke screen.  Standing by Bibberty could be real could be a smoke screen.  The talking heads are getting worked up about nothing.  Now I will hear why the Steelers should trade the farm for Jimmy "f'ing" G from Max K.

I would hire either of the Colts FO guys interviewed ( unless they are total dickheads) based on their drafts that last 4 years

I am a huge Luis Riddick fan. When you read up you’ll see he left FO work for his family. Being in TV is a cushy job and considering he’s turned down interviews with other teams to take ours is a big deal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I am a huge Luis Riddick fan. When you read up you’ll see he left FO work for his family. Being in TV is a cushy job and considering he’s turned down interviews with other teams to take ours is a big deal

Same with Dodds from the Colts ( asst GM)

• Like 1

Just now, jebrick said:

Same with Dodds from the Colts ( asst GM)

I feel as though it’s a bigger deal for Riddick because of the TV thing. But either way guys who turn down other interviews to come to yours is a big deal because it shows how desirable your job it. That’s why it always bothered me that Khan took so many interviews. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jebrick said:

I tend to agree.  I also like the Colts FO guys.  However, the same could be said about Dan Morgan and his time with the Bills and the guy from the Bucs, so overall they have a decent pool.  The Colts candidates are a little more appealing since they haven’t had the franchise QB to inflate some of the other talent on the team.  Just hoping they are smart and don’t promote from within.

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

Not much more. Sounds to me more like Hunt or Khan are the winner but Colbert has no clue how to fix it and set them up. This is why I’m actually pro outsider candidate. 

Also - RC is on Get Up right now and he’s ripping Mason Rudolph and the FO for the comments on Mason starting. Said he feels as though Tomlin will have a lot of input, but said Colbert does have final say and *gulp* said Colbert running the offseason without having a successor named is the worse decision they’ve made. 

I dont put too much stock into what RC said. Colbert said what any GM says to that question at this time of year (about Rudolph). The successor to Colbert doesn't really bother me either.  RC needs to make it dramatic for TV purposes.

15 hours ago, C$! said:

I dont put too much stock into what RC said. Colbert said what any GM says to that question at this time of year (about Rudolph). The successor to Colbert doesn't really bother me either.  RC needs to make it dramatic for TV purposes.

On those comments:

To me, the best thing would to say is that he’s been here and put in the work, so if challenged for the right to succeed Ben we expect he should be able to rise to the challenge. 

Because the other way comes off as he’s being handled it. 

The KC successor thing bothers me because this franchise is about to go into a new era. Even if KC makes the final calls, knowing who the successor is, and having them involved in the decision making helps them be successful in the future. What if KC saddles his successor with two contracts and a first round pick that they don’t like? What if he extends two guys into contracts the new GM felt it was time to move one from? Not I’m not saying the new GM has to make the calls, but at least getting their $0.02 on the decisions is the smart thing. 

So in another thought: I think KCs comments about FA are telling. Don’t expect him to throw cash around. I’m starting to think he’s out on wave one of FA and will go for the second wave and try to sign multiple value deals. And that….I dunno….I like it but I don’t. We do need multiple players, but sometimes that one is worth it. 

Additionally, those comments make me think he’s gonna let dead money all hit this year and not try any cap tricks for delaying it. Maybe he rather do that and keep 2022 cap for the new GM. 

So thinking this I got the two options of 1 name player, two mid, 3 lower and then 2 big, 1 mid, 3 lower:

Option 1 ::

Big Name FA - Brandon Schreff OG Washington - This is the big name. Yes he’s a guard and not a tackle, but I think he brings about some leadership that’s needed to this line.  This would push Green and Dodson in a LG camp battle when combined with the draft. 

2 Mid Tier FA - Akiem Hicks DE Chicago and Rasul Douglas CB Green Bay - Two guys that bring starter quality with likely depth. Both can step into the lineup as needed. 

3 Lower FA - Tim Settle NT Washington, Nate Ebner S/ST New York Giants, Chris Conley WR Houston

Draft - 

1-20 :: Trade :: I know this isn’t KCs style but running this draft I was offered 29 and 50 for 20, which is an overpay. The top of the beard right now is trade down worthy and I’m taking it. 

1-29 :: Tyler Linderbaum C Iowa :: We’ve analyzed this pick to no end and he’s the real deal. To move down and get him is a steal. 

1-32 :: Trade :: I’ve traded 50, 54, 2023 3rd for the Lions 32nd pick. 

1-32 :: Malik Willis QB Liberty :: Another pick we’ve analyzed to no end. To move down then up and come out with two firsts, not give up a future 1st and get these two is a big deal. 

3-84 :: Kyler Gordon CB Washington :: This guy is an athletic freak off the field and it shows up on tape. Rumors of a 43 inch vertical are out there. 

4-138 :: Sterling Weatherford S Miami-OH :: Well Miami north was good to us, so we’re going there again. Weatherford is a good man coverage safety, and has the size to do it. 6’4” and 230 his a big boy. Has absurd length. Maybe not the most fluid hips but you are asking him to stick with TEs and large slots. Paging @armsteeld to look into him. 

7-223 :: Mike Rose LB Iowa State :: 6’4” 245 pound thumper of a MLB. Put on tape of him, Vince Williams, and Elon Roberts and try to spot differences. This is a guy Flores will love working with. 

7-239 :: Tanner Connor WR Idaho State :: Going to an “offbeat” school here but Connor is a speed guy. Oh crap speed. Like he also runs track for ISU speed. And is a state champion in them. Raw with his route running. Hands are improving. Really learning to use leverage in cuts.