Way too early 2022 offseason thoughts

warfelg

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

On those comments:

To me, the best thing would to say is that he’s been here and put in the work, so if challenged for the right to succeed Ben we expect he should be able to rise to the challenge. 

Because the other way comes off as he’s being handled it. 

The KC successor thing bothers me because this franchise is about to go into a new era. Even if KC makes the final calls, knowing who the successor is, and having them involved in the decision making helps them be successful in the future. What if KC saddles his successor with two contracts and a first round pick that they don’t like? What if he extends two guys into contracts the new GM felt it was time to move one from? Not I’m not saying the new GM has to make the calls, but at least getting their $0.02 on the decisions is the smart thing. 

My point is that nobody thinks the Steelers are just going to hand it over to Rudolph. It's just GM/coach speak. I think making a huge deal about it was for TV so people watch and (like us) talk about it.

As for the new GM, I don't think Colbert is going to hamstring the franchise moving forward. I'm sure the new guy is brought in before free agency so they can work together. It's just very unfamiliar for everyone since the Steelers have only had 2 GMs the last 20 years.

• Like 1

@warfelg

what were KC comments on FA?

If they wanna go get a stud FA, they can afford to do so with having $100 mill in 2023 cap room even after this incoming rookie draft class and a Minkah extension.

Taking(for example) $12 mill of Watts salary and spreading it over the next 4 years wouldn’t make a dent in their long term spending...but if it allowed you to go get a Schreff it’s more than worth it.

50 minutes ago, AFF said:

@warfelg

If they wanna go get a stud FA, they can afford to do so with having $100 mill in 2023 cap room even after this incoming rookie draft class and a Minkah extension.

Taking(for example) $12 mill of Watts salary and spreading it over the next 4 years wouldn’t make a dent in their long term spending...but if it allowed you to go get a Schreff it’s more than worth it.

His comments were we’ve never had this flexibility but it doesn’t mean they’ll be aggressive. 

51 minutes ago, AFF said:

@warfelg

Those are super misleading numbers. Rule of 52, draft class puts it more like $60mil. And that’s not counting this years rookies and contracts. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

So in another thought: I think KCs comments about FA are telling. Don’t expect him to throw cash around. I’m starting to think he’s out on wave one of FA and will go for the second wave and try to sign multiple value deals. And that….I dunno….I like it but I don’t. We do need multiple players, but sometimes that one is worth it. 

Additionally, those comments make me think he’s gonna let dead money all hit this year and not try any cap tricks for delaying it. Maybe he rather do that and keep 2022 cap for the new GM. 

So thinking this I got the two options of 1 name player, two mid, 3 lower and then 2 big, 1 mid, 3 lower:

Option 1 ::

Big Name FA - Brandon Schreff OG Washington - This is the big name. Yes he’s a guard and not a tackle, but I think he brings about some leadership that’s needed to this line.  This would push Green and Dodson in a LG camp battle when combined with the draft. 

2 Mid Tier FA - Akiem Hicks DE Chicago and Rasul Douglas CB Green Bay - Two guys that bring starter quality with likely depth. Both can step into the lineup as needed. 

3 Lower FA - Tim Settle NT Washington, Nate Ebner S/ST New York Giants, Chris Conley WR Houston

Draft - 

1-20 :: Trade :: I know this isn’t KCs style but running this draft I was offered 29 and 50 for 20, which is an overpay. The top of the beard right now is trade down worthy and I’m taking it. 

1-29 :: Tyler Linderbaum C Iowa :: We’ve analyzed this pick to no end and he’s the real deal. To move down and get him is a steal. 

1-32 :: Trade :: I’ve traded 50, 54, 2023 3rd for the Lions 32nd pick. 

1-32 :: Malik Willis QB Liberty :: Another pick we’ve analyzed to no end. To move down then up and come out with two firsts, not give up a future 1st and get these two is a big deal. 

3-84 :: Kyler Gordon CB Washington :: This guy is an athletic freak off the field and it shows up on tape. Rumors of a 43 inch vertical are out there. 

4-138 :: Sterling Weatherford S Miami-OH :: Well Miami north was good to us, so we’re going there again. Weatherford is a good man coverage safety, and has the size to do it. 6’4” and 230 his a big boy. Has absurd length. Maybe not the most fluid hips but you are asking him to stick with TEs and large slots. Paging @armsteeld to look into him. 

7-223 :: Mike Rose LB Iowa State :: 6’4” 245 pound thumper of a MLB. Put on tape of him, Vince Williams, and Elon Roberts and try to spot differences. This is a guy Flores will love working with. 

7-239 :: Tanner Connor WR Idaho State :: Going to an “offbeat” school here but Connor is a speed guy. Oh crap speed. Like he also runs track for ISU speed. And is a state champion in them. Raw with his route running. Hands are improving. Really learning to use leverage in cuts. 

Linderbaum the only Center that gets mentioned which makes me wonder do most fans know if other OC prospects? I'll list some guys in the other thread as I don't want to detail this one.

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

Linderbaum the only Center that gets mentioned which makes me wonder do most fans know if other OC prospects? I'll list some guys in the other thread as I don't want to detail this one.

They do but Linderbaum is in a tier alone (IMO) in this draft. 

I hate to beat dead horses, but it was just so stupid for the Steelers to pass on Creed Humphrey last draft.    The guy was being discussed as a first round talent and our long time starting center just retired, and he fell all the way to our 2nd round pick.    Under most circumstances, I wouldve been really happy to land Pat Friermuth in the 2nd because I was and still am a big fan of his....but quality centers are harder to come by than TEs.    I know they probably assumed they could get Green in the 3rd round and were high on him, but Green wasnt anywhere close to Creed as a prospect and despite having upside, was considered a reach by many where we took him.       Maybe the Steelers had him graded similarly to Creed and felt they could get better value for him....but I dont think that was a popular view.

Hoping Green gets better, but we passed on a surefire 10 year starter at center, and its hard to get over that.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Centers are just very weak in this draft.  They will not touch Linderbaum with Green still there.

My guess is we go after a veteran center as insurance to another Green flop. I agree with you about not drafting one. I think we'll sign a mid/upper level center and an upper level OG and re-sign one of Chuks or Banner.

8 hours ago, warfelg said:

Those are super misleading numbers. Rule of 52, draft class puts it more like $60mil. And that’s not counting this years rookies and contracts. 

Draft class only counts about $5-7 mill...plus that’s not factoring cuts, restructures and doing voidable years as well...heck the Pack are still at $40 mill over even after restructuring Clark.

Well see what happens...gonna be a fun ride.

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

My guess is we go after a veteran center as insurance to another Green flop. I agree with you about not drafting one. I think we'll sign a mid/upper level center and an upper level OG and re-sign one of Chuks or Banner.

I think they might throw $$$ at a center as well.

18 hours ago, 43M said:

I hate to beat dead horses, but it was just so stupid for the Steelers to pass on Creed Humphrey last draft.    The guy was being discussed as a first round talent and our long time starting center just retired, and he fell all the way to our 2nd round pick.    Under most circumstances, I wouldve been really happy to land Pat Friermuth in the 2nd because I was and still am a big fan of his....but quality centers are harder to come by than TEs.    I know they probably assumed they could get Green in the 3rd round and were high on him, but Green wasnt anywhere close to Creed as a prospect and despite having upside, was considered a reach by many where we took him.       Maybe the Steelers had him graded similarly to Creed and felt they could get better value for him....but I dont think that was a popular view.

Hoping Green gets better, but we passed on a surefire 10 year starter at center, and its hard to get over that.

some of this goes to not knowing what they want to do.  Green and Linderbaum are very much zone blocking centers.  Green has the size to do more in-line blocking.  Humphrey is an in-line blocker.  His movement skills are very limited ( his combine tests not withstanding).  They then draft a RB that is best with in-line blocking scheme and less so with zone blocking.

Green should have never started last year.  when he was drafted I said he is a developmental center.  I am expecting better from him.

7 hours ago, jebrick said:

some of this goes to not knowing what they want to do.  Green and Linderbaum are very much zone blocking centers.  Green has the size to do more in-line blocking.  Humphrey is an in-line blocker.  His movement skills are very limited ( his combine tests not withstanding).  They then draft a RB that is best with in-line blocking scheme and less so with zone blocking.

Green should have never started last year.  when he was drafted I said he is a developmental center.  I am expecting better from him.

What direction do you think we go with the O-line? Do we go more in-line or more zone? What’s your take?