Can anyone stop the Packers?

notthatbluestuff

2 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

lol interesting because the situations aren't any different. Except that Jared Goff is not in the postseason

No, the situations were and are very different. This time last year the Bucs were fully healthy and had finally gelled heading into the playoffs on fire. Now the Packers are clearly the best in the league. 

GB has 4 reasons to be concerned:

1.  Bakhtiari's absence does get more pressure A-Rod's way.   And while everyone is hopeful Bakhtiari plays, back surgery is never good to bank on  (that's Z-Smith, Bakh is ACL - thx @squire12 / @Jaire_Island for correction)  Teams that can get pressure with 4 can give A-Rod more trouble.   In the NFC, that's NO, ARI, LAR & DAL. 

2.  On D, Alexander was activated off the IR on the last day of his window - which was necessary to keep his window to play this year open.    That's not the same thing  as looking good enough in practice.   For CB's, shoulder injuries are far trickier to bounce back from.    Without Alexander, their pass coverage is far more suspect.   

3.   Every playoff team except DAL/TAM will have played GB this year.   This always narrows any gap between teams.

4.   You find a way to limit Davante Adams, you go a long way to keeping the GB O in check.    LAR/DAL in particular, have the secondary to match up well.    

The 4 reasons to be optimistic the Pack can get to the SB:

1.  Lambeau & the bye still matter.

2.  Their run game is an even bigger factor than last year, with AJ Dillon really keeping Aaron Jones fresh, while keeping the run O at the same level.   It truly is a 2-headed monster.

3.  The Pack have a legit pass rush that helps mask the secondary's issues - much like how TAM's front 7 helped mask their young secondary's weaknesses last year.

4.  Most importantly, HC Matt Lafleur has really improved his game management this year.   He's put the ball in A-Rod's hands in key situations.  We're not getting a FG down 6 playcall again.   In matchups with close teams, HC differences are magnified.   Lafleur's progress is crucial in this regard.

Given the above - of course nothing is a given.  Given who's making the playoffs for the NFC, even the 1st game should be a doozy.    But the idea GB is going to get healthy - the bye will help, but I'm not sure Bakhtiari & Alexander represent the big upgrade ppl are looking for, given the timing/nature of their injuries (and should they return, significantly diminished play on return is a very real possibility, let alone not being able to make it back).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, notthatbluestuff said:

No, the situations were and are very different. This time last year the Bucs were fully healthy and had finally gelled heading into the playoffs on fire. Now the Packers are clearly the best in the league. 

lol, nobody gave the Bucs a shot to come out of the NFC last year. Nobody. 

Taylor Heinicke, Jared Goff and Mitch Trubisky were leading 3 of the 7 NFC teams.

Drew Brees' arm was shot.

The Packers were the clear and obvious NFC favorite last year. AR was playing even better than he is now.

You are using revisionist history.

• Like 1

Just now, SBLIII said:

Taylor Heinicke, Jared Goff and Mitch Trubisky were leading 3 of the 7 NFC teams.

The Packers were the clear and obvious NFC favorite last year. AR was playing even better than he is now.

Go back and look at my posts from last year - how very wrong you are. Plenty of people gave the Bucs a shot at making it through the NFC. 

Rodgers was playing better then, but the overall team is better now plus LaFleur has developed as a coach. The other teams in the conference have much bigger question marks - the situations are completely and utterly, overwhelmingly different.  

But I don’t blame you for being dubious; not everyone can be as consistently prescient about football as me. It’s a gift, but also a curse. 

20 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

1.  Bakhtiari's absence does get more pressure A-Rod's way.   And while everyone is hopeful Bakhtiari plays, back surgery is never good to bank on.    Teams that can get pressure with 4 can give A-Rod more trouble.   In the NFC, that's NO, ARI, LAR & DAL. 

2.  On D, Alexander was activated off the IR on the last day of his window - which was necessary to keep his window to play this year open.    That's not the same thing  as looking good enough in practice.   For CB's, shoulder injuries are far trickier to bounce back from.    Without Alexander, their pass coverage is far more suspect.   

3.   Every playoff team except DAL/TAM will have played GB this year.   This always narrows any gap between teams.

4.   You find a way to limit Davante Adams, you go a long way to keeping the GB O in check.    LAR/DAL in particular, have the secondary to match up well.    

The 4 reasons to be optimistic the Pack can get to the SB:

1.  Lambeau & the bye still matter.

2.  Their run game is an even bigger factor than last year, with AJ Dillon really keeping Aaron Jones fresh, while keeping the run O at the same level.   It truly is a 2-headed monster.

3.  The Pack have a legit pass rush that helps mask the secondary's issues - much like how TAM's front 7 helped mask their young secondary's weaknesses last year.

4.  Most importantly, HC Matt Lafleur has really improved his game management this year.   He's put the ball in A-Rod's hands in key situations.  We're not getting a FG down 6 playcall again.   In matchups with close teams, HC differences are magnified.   Lafleur's progress is crucial in this regard.

Given the above - of course nothing is a given.  Given who's making the playoffs for the NFC, even the 1st game should be a doozy.    But the idea GB is going to get healthy - the bye will help, but I'm not sure Bakhtiari & Alexander represent the big upgrade ppl are looking for, given the nature of their injuries (and should they return, significantly diminished play on return is a very real possibility, let alone not being able to make it back).

Bhak is coming of Torn ACL and not back surgery.

There is an optimism that Z Smith might come playoff time from his back surgery. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

8 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Go back and look at my posts from last year - how very wrong you are. Plenty of people gave the Bucs a shot at making it through the NFC. 

Rodgers was playing better then, but the overall team is better now plus LaFleur has developed as a coach. The other teams in the conference have much bigger question marks - the situations are completely and utterly, overwhelmingly different.  

But I don’t blame you for being dubious; not everyone can be as consistently prescient about football as me. It’s a gift, but also a curse. 

I also backed the Bucs, and in the Weekly Bets thread, too.  I believe with @N4L.

But @SBLIII's point is valid - the CW was widely in favor of the Pack.   And most had the Bucs losing to the Saints (can't really blame ppl either, that D still remains TB12's kryptonite).     

The field honestly is wide open in both conferences.   Sure, we could end up with KC-GB and ppl will say "hey, I told you so".   But this is a far more level playing field from 1-5 in the NFC and 1-7 in the AFC with higher upset potential than the last few years.   GB isn't immune to this vulnerability.

• Like 3

This is the best the NFC has been in a long time. While GB should be the favorite due to home field, there are five teams good enough to win the NFC. Far from a lock.

And on a neutral field, I'd pick LA, DAL, and TB to beat them. So all were really talking about is the home field factor, not how good the team is itself.

• Like 1

Just now, Jaire_Island said:

Bhak is coming of Torn ACL and not back surgery.

There is an optimism that Z Smith might come playoff time from his back surgery. 

So many injuries...right it was Z-Smith back...Smith was the one I was thinking of re: pass rush, but point remains on Bakh too.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

I also backed the Bucs, and in the Weekly Bets thread, too.  I believe with @N4L.

But @SBLIII's point is valid - the CW was widely in favor of the Pack.   And most had the Bucs losing to the Saints (can't really blame ppl either, that D still remains TB12's kryptonite).     

The field honestly is wide open in both conferences.   Sure, we could end up with KC-GB and ppl will say "hey, I told you so".   But this is a far more level playing field from 1-5 in the NFC and 1-7 in the AFC with higher upset potential than the last few years.   GB isn't immune to this vulnerability.

Well, I'm not concerned with what the unwashed masses thought about Green Bay back then. SBLIII attempted to paint me as someone who saw the Packers going all the way last year - when in fact, I knew they'd be stopped before the playoffs even started (research can verify this). The Packers are easily the best team in the league THIS YEAR according to the only opinion that matters - mine. 

1 minute ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Well, I'm not concerned with what the unwashed masses thought about Green Bay back then. SBLIII attempted to paint me as someone who saw the Packers going all the way last year - when in fact, I knew they'd be stopped before the playoffs even started (research can verify this). The Packers are easily the best team in the league THIS YEAR according to the only opinion that matters - mine. 

Well, it's a discussion thread in a Forum, so a lot of opinions matter.   It's kinda how we learn lol. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

1.  Bakhtiari's absence does get more pressure A-Rod's way.   And while everyone is hopeful Bakhtiari plays, back surgery is never good to bank on.    Teams that can get pressure with 4 can give A-Rod more trouble.   In the NFC, that's NO, ARI, LAR & DAL. 

Bahktiari had knee surgery, not back surgery

If the Packers at the very least dont get to the Superbowl this season they will become the Saints of 2018, 2019, and 2020. The Saints in those three seasons but ESPECIALLY in 2018 and 2019 where everyone was picking them to come out of the NFC before the season started and the Saints either had the best record or one of the best records when the season ended. Everything was set up nicely for them to get to the Superbowl and the best they could do is the NFCCG. No Superbowl appearances with all that talent on defense, with all that talent on offense led by future HOF'er Brees, that dome rocking in the playoffs, and one of the best coaches in the NFL in Payton. 

We know ARod since he won the Superbowl which seems like ages ago hasnt had much success in the playoffs since. His NFCCG record is like (1-4) even if you add that Superbowl year. So many people get on McNabb for his constant failures in the NFCCG so ARod you arent going to be any different. So everyone will be picking the Packers and rightfully so but as someone who has picked the Packers many many times over the years to get to and possibly win the Superbowl, we know they have failed countless of times and thats on the shoulders of ARod. So this season BETTER BE DIFFERENT or else they will just be the new Saints now that the Saints are no longer the Saints bc Brees retired. 

In short the team that can have and have always stopped the Packers are the Packers. They have homefield advantage for the second straight season. Dont squander it like they did last season. It feels like every season its easy to say "this season feels different". Well Green Bay, show me that this season in the postseason is different. 

Edited by stl4life07