2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Signing experienced depth as an intended backup now vs. in May or June versus today doesn’t really change anything if the plan is that they’re depth signings. His approach certainly suggests that he sees our projected starters as the guys who are already here (likely Patrick, Whitehair, Borom & Jenkins), plus an early draft pick. If that’s your planned 5 then that’s your 5. It seems he viewed Bates as a measured cost alternative to a high draft pick that didn’t work out, with him now pivoting back to the draft to fill that opening. After the starting 5 though, backups are backups, at least one of which (probably at guard) I’d expect to be a later round draft pick. 

If we knew what our 5 were I am on board with that.

But 3/5 starters in that plan are unknowns. I think Jenkins will be good, but I don’t know. Borom, same. Draft pick, I hope is ready to play.

We don’t need just backups. We need backup +S, because they may be needed to ply significant time.

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I am down with losing this season, but not down with a full team tear down as we develop our QB particularly on offensive side of ball.   Which at moment is what appears to be happening.

How else would you suggest making the Franchise better for the Long Term? Because thats the goal, not artificially/temporarily inflating a bad team to an average one just to make ourselves feel alittle better about a young QB. Because say we do that, and he looks like a stud, but then we are trapped with more bloated contrats of aging veterans who are only getting older and worse. That makes it very hard to capitalize on mortgaging further and further into the future for just the most incremental gains, and then suddenly were the Saints, with no where to turn. At Least they were doing it for a proven HoF QB.

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I just feel like a full year of potentially Fields struggling will be bad for his development and confidence and may cause fans and coaches to unfairly and prematurely sour on him.    People will be very forgiving of a bad rookie year.   Bad sophomore campaigns can possibly cause doubts. 

Hes getting all new coaches, with an all new Offensive system, he was going to have some struggles anyway, especially since you know, he's only going into his second year, where he was barely helped along at all by his first year coaches. 

And sorry, I just dont care what fans might be soured on him in this situation, they arent intelligent fans, and its not like our feelings on him actually matter anyway. The coaching staff and FO will be making their evaluation on him all year, not just if we are losing games, but everything that goes into it. If he is a bum in the film room and in practice, thats where he will cause doubts. The guys putting together this roster are going to know exactly the talent level they are giving him to preform with. 

And again, if you think losing and getting sacked at a higher rate than the top QBs do right now will tarnish his mental ability going forward, then he was not going to be the Franchise QB that we want him to be. Its that simple, if he cant make it past 2022 with some hurdles, he wasnt taking us to the promised land anyway

This is clearly Fields Rookie Season 1.5, and if fans and shock jocks cant understand the situation hes going to be in while we rebuild, then screw them, I could care less. But if he cant lead the players he does have, or call plays in the huddle or make the right reads infront of him, then we have a problem. And those things will manifest themselves regardless if we had the Jags roster last year or the Rams.

39 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If we knew what our 5 were I am on board with that.

But 3/5 starters in that plan are unknowns. I think Jenkins will be good, but I don’t know. Borom, same. Draft pick, I hope is ready to play.

We don’t need just backups. We need backup +S, because they may be needed to ply significant time.

Borom isn’t an unknown though. He started 8 games last year and was fine. That’s his floor - a RT who is fine. You were willing to give Bates 3/24 and he’s started half as many games in 3 years.

Jenkins, after getting tossed into the mix on MNF and struggling in his first game action (mostly with penalties), was also fine. Not great, but fine. Again, ability-wise that’s his floor. My concerns with Jenkins are durability, not talent. He fits what Poles says he wants to a T though (athletic and mean), so you know he’s starting it healthy.

So, unless Poles is finding a clear cut upgrade to Borom at RT, or sees either he or Jenkins as a starter at G instead of T, you’re still looking for a depth guy outside. I would agree a more experienced depth guy at OT would be better, but a depth guy nonetheless. You’re still talking about a guy who’s only playing if things go wrong. Dennis Kelly, Brian Bulaga, Nate Solder, Riley Reiff, Marcus Cannon, Brandon Shell and Cameron Fleming are all guys with extensive starting experience at T that are still out there. But, are any looking to sign now versus later after attrition might find them a more likely path to playing time at the same money? Maybe not. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

How else would you suggest making the Franchise better for the Long Term? Because thats the goal, not artificially/temporarily inflating a bad team to an average one just to make ourselves feel alittle better about a young QB. Because say we do that, and he looks like a stud, but then we are trapped with more bloated contrats of aging veterans who are only getting older and worse. That makes it very hard to capitalize on mortgaging further and further into the future for just the most incremental gains, and then suddenly were the Saints, with no where to turn. At Least they were doing it for a proven HoF QB.

The idea that signing expensive free agents puts you in a cap bind isn't completely true.

Very few players have been signed longer than 3 years. Many of them can be easily cut after year 1 or year 2. Christian Kirk, Allen Robinson, and Brandon Scherff (among others) can all be cut after year 2. Laken Tomlinson and MVS can be cut next offseason. Bears used the same structure for Robert Quinn's deal.

You don't become the Saints by giving out these types of deals. You become the Saints by pushing your own players' guaranteed money into future years through extensions. Signing free agents didn't ruin their cap situation. Pushing tons of money into void years did.

17 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Borom isn’t an unknown though. He started 8 games last year and was fine. That’s his floor - a RT who is fine. You were willing to give Bates 3/24 and he’s started half as many games in 3 years.

Jenkins, after getting tossed into the mix on MNF and struggling in his first game action (mostly with penalties), was also fine. Not great, but fine. Again, ability-wise that’s his floor. My concerns with Jenkins are durability, not talent. He fits what Poles says he wants to a T though (athletic and mean), so you know he’s starting it healthy.

Borom was a below-average starting OT. Jenkins played 2.5 games that ranged from awful to OK. How anyone can aver that being "fine" is their floor is a mystery. That's the best level of play we've seen from either of them. And we only saw it sporadically.

The truth is you can't declare a young player's floor with any certainty. James Daniels got worse. Mustipher got worse. Not every guy improves after his rookie season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

What do people think of Eric Fisher?

It would be tough for the don’t over pay crowd and the Poles likes the young OTs crowd.

It would be an upgrade in terms of reliability… not sure how much I would pay for that.

I want him. Even if it costs a fair amount--it will be worth it.

Fisher pretty much stank last year, but the hope is he'll turn it around. And we'd be planning on him being the swing tackle, anyway. $6 mil (or whatever) might seem a bit steep for a swing tackle/insurance policy--but I don't think Poles can look at the situation in that way. 

Riley Rieff should also be under consideration. 

18 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I want him. Even if it costs a fair amount--it will be worth it.

Fisher pretty much stank last year, but the hope is he'll turn it around. And we'd be planning on him being the swing tackle, anyway. $6 mil (or whatever) might seem a bit steep for a swing tackle/insurance policy--but I don't think Poles can look at the situation in that way. 

Riley Rieff should also be under consideration. 

I'd be fine with him starting at OG honestly. Then we can put a priority on a potential kind of profile for OT and OG. 

27 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'd be fine with him starting at OG honestly. Then we can put a priority on a potential kind of profile for OT and OG. 

Worth consideration as well, I suppose. Although I'd prefer they straight up get another guard. 

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1