The Ftont office or the coaches?

hornbybrown

8 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

The problem is, to succeed in pro football, you have to find a franchise QB, end of story and our FO has passed on 2 or more potentially franchise QB's including Wentz who in 2 years is approaching MVP status for the whole NFL. If a FO cannot come up with a franchise QB, in the end, it is a total failure as our record indicates.

If they are so concerned with character over winning, why haven't they cut Gordon,??? I think they are in panic mode and looking for anything that might provide a win and if they draft in panic mode, the draft could turn out to be a disaster.

My only arguments are:

We passed on Wentz and thats a tough pill to swallow, but I get the rational behind that move, being year one of building the team from the ground up.

Im not sold on Watson yet. I just get the sense from what ive watched that were looking at another RG3 situation. So, as of right now, we passed on one, just one franchise QB.

Until very recently we werent even able to cut Gordon. In his case, what message do you want to send the league? Hes the hot reclamation, prodical son story right now, and us facilitating his turning his life and career around makes us look like caring, encouraging folks, rooting for him to succeed in saving his life. Never wanna look like youre kicking a man while hes down, especially after hes confessed his sins and laid himself on the publics mercy. Suddenly, we can look like the jerks.

2 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

My only arguments are:

We passed on Wentz and thats a tough pill to swallow, but I get the rational behind that move, being year one of building the team from the ground up.

Im not sold on Watson yet. I just get the sense from what ive watched that were looking at another RG3 situation. So, as of right now, we passed on one, just one franchise QB.

Until very recently we werent even able to cut Gordon. In his case, what message do you want to send the league? Hes the hot reclamation, prodical son story right now, and us facilitating his turning his life and career around makes us look like caring, encouraging folks, rooting for him to succeed in saving his life. Never wanna look like youre kicking a man while hes down, especially after hes confessed his sins and laid himself on the publics mercy. Suddenly, we can look like the jerks.

I think our fan base is simply desperate or we would send this jerk out of town after tarring and feathering him. We are the complete laughing stock of the NFL and we will do anything to halt that story. Ironically, he probably pulls a few things on his body in his first practice and has to sit for 3 or 4 games to get into playing shape. We will be extremely lucky if we see him healthy and able to play in 3 or 4 games this season. I remember what Vick looked like after his long layoff, he just wasn't the same player and had definitely lost a step or 2 when he returned.

4 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

Dont sweat it. We were all there with the wishful thinking. Guess no one caught the tree/orchard double entendre I did back there, Should probably stick to my strong suit: third grade fart jokes.

You could have led the receiver there a little bit better with "pear tree" or "apple tree". Any citrus fruits would have been too obvious, though.

30 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

You know it. I've been musical director for the Nate Orchard is Not Good Glee Club long before we drafted him. Always welcoming new members. 

Can confirm.

My favorite Nate Orchard comparison was provided by ditch.  Something along the lines of "a fat house cat who can't hunt and can barely get what comes running right to him".

A+ stuff.

16 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

That and the fact that we are sooo thin at talented WRs that Gordon can instantly come back and probably outproduce Britt's season stats in one game. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

21 hours ago, bruceb said:

It's this kind of data/info that convinces me to stick with the FO, maybe with an assist from a football talent evaluator guy: https://dawgpounddaily.com/2017/11/08/cleveland-browns-defense-looking/

Football 101: Run the ball, stop the run.

We have half of it right.

Football 101 is get a QB when you are in a position to.  They drafted number 2 and number 1 the last two drafts under this regime.  They did not get a QB with either of those picks.  They also did not get a veteran to groom the young QB they took in the 2nd round.

Where is all this young talent we have?

Should we only have 1 win in the last two years with all this supposed talent?

39 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Football 101 is get a QB when you are in a position to.  They drafted number 2 and number 1 the last two drafts under this regime.  They did not get a QB with either of those picks.  They also did not get a veteran to groom the young QB they took in the 2nd round.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

One step at a time.

45 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

We have been in position to get a QB for years.  Going back to 2012, Judging by the next QB taken, we could have taken Ryan Tannehill at 3, in 2013 we could have taken EJ Manual at 6, in 2014 we could have taken Johnny Manziel at 4 instead of trading down.  In 2015 we could have taken Garrett Grayson at 12, in 2016, yes, we could have gotten Wentz 2, and in 2017 I guess we could have gotten Mitchell Trubisky 1 overall.

Its not about just taking a guy if you don't have one.  Its about scouting and making sure your making the right decision.  It's looking like 1 of those guys is actually a Franchise QB (maybe its too early to tell on Trubisky) but you don't just take a guy.  You try to make the right decision for the team.  Wentz and Watson were not sure things (hell most of us would have wanted Hooker at 12 not watson), and the value we were receiving based on the risk it would have been seemed worth it.

But please, enjoy your pedestal while hindsight is 20/20 and you say with confidence that Wentz or Watson would be good with our wideouts and coaching staff.  I'm still going to stand here patiently and say I still believe the FO made the right decisions to build the team.

19 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

We have been in position to get a QB for years.  Going back to 2012, Judging by the next QB taken, we could have taken Ryan Tannehill at 3, in 2013 we could have taken EJ Manual at 6, in 2014 we could have taken Johnny Manziel at 4 instead of trading down.  In 2015 we could have taken Garrett Grayson at 12, in 2016, yes, we could have gotten Wentz 2, and in 2017 I guess we could have gotten Mitchell Trubisky 1 overall.

Its not about just taking a guy if you don't have one.  Its about scouting and making sure your making the right decision.  It's looking like 1 of those guys is actually a Franchise QB (maybe its too early to tell on Trubisky) but you don't just take a guy.  You try to make the right decision for the team.  Wentz and Watson were not sure things (hell most of us would have wanted Hooker at 12 not watson), and the value we were receiving based on the risk it would have been seemed worth it.

But please, enjoy your pedestal while hindsight is 20/20 and you say with confidence that Wentz or Watson would be good with our wideouts and coaching staff.  I'm still going to stand here patiently and say I still believe the FO made the right decisions to build the team.

I don't have to sit on a pedestal, because I am not the one making the tough decisions.  Someone actually thought enough of Wentz to go up and get him.  Houston went ahead and drafted Watson, with question marks.  The previous regimes had not used a pick higher than the 20's for the most important position on the field.  You would think that Sashi may have learned something from that.  I guess you feel that they have done wonders because we are sitting on a bunch of cap space, and have 3 first round picks on the roster this year that has produced 0 wins.

Keep patient my man...I'm sure the wins are heading our way!!!!  Oh wait....it's not about the wins...it's about the development....I have heard that for awhile now.

Archived