SNF: Brady vs Pe...oh wait. Patriots @ Colts

JAF-N72EX

3 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I keep watching this to see exactly what #76 was trying to do here and I'm at a lost. I assume he was coming back to help #81. But if that was the case then did he not know the play-call was a run in the first place? Because that's exactly what it looks like to me.

Dude they replayed it on TV but not nearly enough. I have NO idea what he was doing. Wynn sucks.

55 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Are you suggesting that people either use analytics or just kinda guess? Those are the only ways to make a decision?

What do you use if you're not using numbers or "your gut"?  This is a legit question, because I don't know what else you can use. I'm not even saying that its necessarily a poor concept or idea, but if that's the case, what it the support beam holding it up? 

I’m making a very simple point, and guys are getting defensive and calling me triggered just for questioning the math, but I’ll restate for clarity’s sake:

I was correcting what I felt was a  misrepresentation from you on the tweet posted. The tweet did not say BB was a bad coach and I was stating the idea that you can be analytically poor and still be a good coach. Even in your next paragraph you're once again stating that it's basically a zero sum game (referring to the bolded below), and I just don't agree with that

The idea of analytics is to find the decision that gives you the best chance to win, but that doesn’t mean it works. That’s my point. And if the guy that wins the most has open contempt for analytics, whilst the analytics keeps saying he’s making wrong decisions…isn’t that an argument that the analytics are flawed?

No, because there's more to a coaches job than analytics. As I said, we are talking a very, very limited number of changes here. That's why I said I would get it if you then used what I said as a stepstool to say that analytics are overrated. 

As for "doesn't mean it works" is sort of an interesting take. That's actually a conversation I'd love to have in a broader sense because the main issue with analytics is that it's subject to the whims of fate at any given time that change percentages, and the margins are so small that its not likely to be attributable for much. Probabilities are good over huge samples, but we know each of these decisions are done in a vacuum. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I keep watching this to see exactly what #76 was trying to do here and I'm at a lost. I assume he was coming back to help #81. But if that was the case then did he not know the play-call was a run in the first place? Because that's exactly what it looks like to me.

I just went back and watched this play again on gamepass and it looks like he literally ignored his blocking assignment for some strange reason . Why did he push block to his right to help the LG when it was obvious that he had an outside rusher to his left shoulder?

https://i.imgur.com/5wqKeaN.mp4

https://imgur.com/5wqKeaN

Apparently this site hates imgur formats. 5wqKeaNh.gif

Edited by JAF-N72EX

It’s mind boggling to me that ppl think kicking a FG down 13 with 9 minutes to go shouldn’t be heavily scrutinized. It’s not like it means BB isn’t one of the greatest HC’s of all time.   But even the  greats make a bad call.    This was one of them.  Life goes on.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

It’s mind boggling to me that ppl think kicking a FG down 13 with 9 minutes to go shouldn’t be heavily scrutinized. It’s not like it means BB isn’t one of the greatest HC’s of all time.   But even the  greats make a bad call.    This was one of them.  Life goes on.  

I swear. Alot of people on this forum have bad habit of being stuck on one extreme spectrum to another.

If you consider a team/player/coach great then you can't criticize them for any small flaws they may have without it coming off as you saying "he is bad". Regardless of how small and insignificant can be. It's like, NO...All coaches have players. I'm just me pointing out ONE single flaw within many great attributes.

Conversely, you can think a player/team/coach is bad, but if you praise them for having a good trait, or calling a good play, or making a good play, etc...then you come off as "thinking he is good". It's like NO, I'm not........

It's just like if a player isn't in a top-10 and are placed at top-13 then people get upset. It's like.....this is not a disrespect thing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I can see arguments for it both ways, the defense had held the Colts in check most of the game, and completely stuffed them in the second half. With 10 minutes to go, it was believable they could get 2 more possessions.

But I don’t have a problem with calling it a bad decision, I just didn’t like the “Bill has been a net negative on 4th down for a decade” tweet, and that was nothing to do with not criticising Bill (I criticise him all the time), it was because it doesn’t make sense and the worship of analytics irritates me.