Head Coach Firing/Hiring/Interview Rumors

Broncofan

8 hours ago, Forge said:

I wonder how he managed that. I thought they changed it where if it was an actual promotion, such as  calling plays, you couldn't block them. 

I guess that is not the case. If they play a role in game plans, they can be blocked even if they don't call plays. Crazy..

It used to be that you could block position coaches from interviewing for coordinator positions because that was still considered lateral. 

Here are the updated rules

Isn't that for position coaches to move to coordinators? I'm pretty sure that wasn't for coordinators to move to other coordinators. This was also the one and only time he's ever prevented somebody from moving. Hell he let LeFleur move laterally a few years before to Tennessee because he was getting play calling duties. Last year though he didn't want to lose both coordinators for a 2nd year in a row so blocked one of them.

Edited by NVRamsFan

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

Isn't that for position coaches to move to coordinators? I'm pretty sure that wasn't for coordinators to move to other coordinators. This was also the one and only time he's ever prevented somebody from moving. Hell he let LeFleur move laterally a few years before to Tennessee because he was getting play calling duties. Last year though he didn't want to lose both coordinators for a 2nd year in a row so blocked one of them.

I thought if you were a coordinator but didn't have play calling duties, it was still considered a promotion and couldn't be blocked. But it doesn't have to involve play calling duties. 

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

@ET80

Just you wait until we scrap the month long search with a brand new search purely because Trent Baalke is employed.

That's so last off-season for the Texans - back when Cal spent close to $3mm to bring in Korn Ferry as an executive search consultant, who reach a deal in principal with Steelers Capologist Omar Khan to be the next GM (with Robert Saleh and Matt Eberflus as the two potential finalists for the HC gig). 

Next thing you know, Jack Easterby goes to "pray" with Cal (no joke - this actually happened) then both Jack and Cal jumped on a plane to pick up Nick Caserio from New England - literally while Omar Khan/Korn Ferry are negotiating contract with the Texans' President of Football Operations Jamey Rootes. Rootes (employee #2 in the organization, Bob McNair's right hand man since inception) is so furious, he basically quit on the spot.

So yeah - Texans did it already (all while burning a bridge with one of the most successful executive recruiting firms in the US and one of the best non-football execs in the league).

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e479rgklj5cvly5r6aekd

I think you'll be fine. I'm not sure McDaniels is a bad head coach. 

I'd be more worried about where you stand in that division moving forward with Herbert and Mahomes, and even more so if Denver lands a QB like Rodgers. 

Don't think anyone can help you with that. 

8 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Has there ever been a HC candidate in the last 20 yrs with the credentials of Josh McCown?  I can't think of one.  Anyone help me out.  His hiring could be creating history.  

Elsewhere I have seen a pathetic analogy of Steve Kerr.

The NFL is a battlefield. The NBA is 5 guys with a ball.  The team with 2 or 3 stars wins 95% of the time. The level of management and preparation is 100x higher for an NFL coach. The personality management is similar (for 13 guys instead of 56) everything else is incomparable.

Also, Kerr was GM of the Suns for three years before his HC gig in Golden State.

If McCown spent 3 years as assistant GM in Houston while learning everything about planning and coordination and all of that then I doubt people are laughing as hard.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

OMG, this is just such simple stuff that so many coaches completely overthink. 

And yet A guy like Joe Judge deserves an opportunity over the guy? Dan Quinn deserves another chance? But they interview so well…

🤦‍♂️

17 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Has there ever been a HC candidate in the last 20 yrs with the credentials of Josh McCown?  I can't think of one.  Anyone help me out.  His hiring could be creating history.  

There is part of me that believes Josh McCown is nothing more than a false flag for Jonathan Gannon.

Locally, most fans are all on board with Brian Flores (mostly because there's a false belief that Deshaun Watson would play for Flores, but that's another story). Anyone NOT named Flores is going to be met with resistance from a fanbase who has transitioned out of anger and into either apathy or indifference (I'm right now in the indifferent boat, if we're being honest).

So, what to do in in this situation? Create a battle between two guys - one who is lukewarm to the fanbase (Gannon) and another who basically generates the fan equivalent of a dry heave (McCown). Liberally spread rumors that McCown is going to be the guy (paging John McCain, the Texans propaganda machine needs you) to get the fanbase further down the hole of dispair and suddenly... the lukewarm guy rides in on a white stallion, and the fanbase rejoices. The narrative isn't "we hired this guy over Flores, what the hell?" now, it's "we hired this guy instead of McCown, thank goodness..."

Or, the Texans organization is really that stupid and is going to hire McCown. It could go either way.

• Like 1