Jets or Giants - King of NY for next decade?

Uncle Buck

Who will be the "King of New York" during the next decade?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the "King of New York" during the next decade?

• Jets
    • Giants

If Saleh shows to be a good coach, then the Jets are in a really good position because I believe Douglas is at least a respectable GM. Wilson has potential to be good, too. I'm not giving up on that kid. There's a slight reason for optimism in Jets land.

1 hour ago, biggie. said:

In all honesty, the Giants will always be the A team of the boroughs and Jersey with the Jets being the clear B team. The rest of the state are mainly Bills fans.

It's more nuanced than that. Manhattan, Brooklyn, and the Bronx are going to lean Giants, but Queens, Staten Island, and Long Island are going to be more Jets. Met fans tend to be Jets fans too since Shea Stadium and all.

I'd guess the lower NY state counties that border NYC and Jersey have almost no Bills fans - hell you might find more Pats fans than anything. You have to get farther into the state to get to the Bills Mafia.

North Jersey, I'd confidently say their are more Giants than Jets. The Giants have a greater history than the Jets by far, and their recent success helps a bunch too.

South Jersey is all Eagles if that matters at all.

On 1/11/2022 at 7:30 PM, NJerseypaint said:

Oh please. Buffalo and NYC might as well be different worlds. Metlife is 20 minutes outside of Manhattan.

The name isn't for the state, it's for the city. Many NFL teams don't play in the city they are named for - like the Bills who play in Orchard Park.

And if NYC wanted the taxes they should've let the Jets build their stadium. They didn't so why cry about it?

Theyre still in New Jersey though, its not like the Bills are playing in Canada and claiming NY.

10 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Theyre still in New Jersey though, its not like the Bills are playing in Canada and claiming NY.

The city is New York, New York. Buffalo is a New York state team, and obviously not a New York City team. The NYG and NYJ are New York, NY teams - and while they play in NJ they are no farther from NYC than Orchard Park is from Buffalo.

But unlike all these other "major" cities, adding a new stadium in Manhattan (or one of the other boroughs) is practically impossible and ridiculously expensive (the Jets tried and failed). The current Metlife location is convenient: it's a short throw from Secaucus Junction and a straight shot out the Lincoln.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:30 AM, NJerseypaint said:

The city is New York, New York. Buffalo is a New York state team, and obviously not a New York City team. The NYG and NYJ are New York, NY teams - and while they play in NJ they are no farther from NYC than Orchard Park is from Buffalo.

But unlike all these other "major" cities, adding a new stadium in Manhattan (or one of the other boroughs) is practically impossible and ridiculously expensive (the Jets tried and failed). The current Metlife location is convenient: it's a short throw from Secaucus Junction and a straight shot out the Lincoln.

Thing is when you play in a different state, you open yourself to ridicule when you name yourself after the state next door. 

Why didnt they go north? Its not like the state is one giant city. Plenty of land from what it looks like outsode city limits in NY. Then youd never get ish talk again about it.

my assumption is its a tax thing

This is an interesting question.

Before and after the draft I took the Jets over Jacksonville.  Zach Wilson has been such an unmitigated disaster, though.  As inept as the Jets front office is, Jacksonville's is orders of magnitude worse.  Neither team is going to contend for the playoffs any time soon but I still think the Jets will be marginally less awful over the next decade.