Positional Needs Heading into the Offseason

MKnight82

In what is becoming close to tradition, ESPN put out an article in which they named the “best team fits” for each of the top 50 free agents this offseason. Despite there being only 32 teams in the league — some of whom have basically no cap space, making them a “fit” for no FAs at all — not one of those guys was deemed to fit best with the Commanders. Among teams with greater than negative cap space at the moment, only WAS and DEN didn’t make the cut for any of the players. 

Regardless of what they do at the QB position, I think it will be an outright failure of management if they don’t come away with a player of that caliber in FA. Unless they go with another mediocre bridge, there will be a window opening up for this team this offseason — the window to compete right now with a star QB or the window to compete within a drafted QB’s rookie contract. Investing in a QB while failing to invest in high-level talent around him is relatively pointless. 

Perhaps they would have found WAS to be a good fit for some guys on the fringes of the top 50, which does seem more our style. Guys like Marcus Maye/Justin Reid and Alexander Johnson/Foye Oluokun didn’t make the list, and I’d be excited to land any of them for this defense, so all hope wouldn’t be lost. The WR market is top-heavy, and they probably can’t invest at that level, but I’d explore the possibility of a Jamison Crowder reunion. A good slot guy is a great safety blanket for QBs of all ages and experience levels. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, e16bball said:

In what is becoming close to tradition, ESPN put out an article in which they named the “best team fits” for each of the top 50 free agents this offseason. Despite there being only 32 teams in the league — some of whom have basically no cap space, making them a “fit” for no FAs at all — not one of those guys was deemed to fit best with the Commanders. Among teams with greater than negative cap space at the moment, only WAS and DEN didn’t make the cut for any of the players. 

Regardless of what they do at the QB position, I think it will be an outright failure of management if they don’t come away with a player of that caliber in FA. Unless they go with another mediocre bridge, there will be a window opening up for this team this offseason — the window to compete right now with a star QB or the window to compete within a drafted QB’s rookie contract. Investing in a QB while failing to invest in high-level talent around him is relatively pointless. 

Perhaps they would have found WAS to be a good fit for some guys on the fringes of the top 50, which does seem more our style. Guys like Marcus Maye/Justin Reid and Alexander Johnson/Foye Oluokun didn’t make the list, and I’d be excited to land any of them for this defense, so all hope wouldn’t be lost. The WR market is top-heavy, and they probably can’t invest at that level, but I’d explore the possibility of a Jamison Crowder reunion. A good slot guy is a great safety blanket for QBs of all ages and experience levels. 

Because they spent so much on our stud Curtis "50 cent" Samuel last off-season we probably won't be in the receiver market and good thing because there's only guys like Davante Adams, Mike Williams, Chris Godwin, JuJu, ODB, Allen Robinson, DJ Chark, Christian Kirk, Michael Gallup etc. Lord knows those scrubs couldn't help this organization plus we had to spend on Samuel to load the offense up for our 40-year old franchise QB who lasted all of a quarter. Can't wait to see how we "command" free agency. Personally I'm excited for our big signing of Trubisky that is clearly coming.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Because they spent so much on our stud Curtis "50 cent" Samuel last off-season we probably won't be in the receiver market and good thing because there's only guys like Davante Adams, Mike Williams, Chris Godwin, JuJu, ODB, Allen Robinson, DJ Chark, Christian Kirk, Michael Gallup etc. Lord knows those scrubs couldn't help this organization plus we had to spend on Samuel to load the offense up for our 40-year old franchise QB who lasted all of a quarter. Can't wait to see how we "command" free agency. Personally I'm excited for our big signing of Trubisky that is clearly coming.

I regularly think this. 

Paying Curtis Samuel that kind of money was always a bad idea, and it sure feels even more frustrating now. Their timing is just so reliably bad — of course we would jump in big on a gadget player, just in time to take ourselves out of position for the upcoming crazy good FA class. 

The chance to get Allen Robinson at the absolute nadir of his value, that’s one I’ll be resentful of all offseason. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I regularly think this. 

Paying Curtis Samuel that kind of money was always a bad idea, and it sure feels even more frustrating now. Their timing is just so reliably bad — of course we would jump in big on a gadget player, just in time to take ourselves out of position for the upcoming crazy good FA class. 

The chance to get Allen Robinson at the absolute nadir of his value, that’s one I’ll be resentful of all offseason. 

He’ll sign with the Giants for a prove it $9M deal and well say it was too much. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He’ll sign with the Giants for a prove it $9M deal and well say it was too much. 

😂 sounds about right. 

I actually fear him going to the Eagles. Devonta is terrific, but he’s not a big body guy that Hurts can trust to go get the ball in contested situations. When you have an inaccurate QB, those “possession” receivers can be important because they have such a wide catch radius and can use their bodies to create space in tighter windows, so the throws don’t have to be quite as precise. 

Brandon Scherff G WAS UFA Market Value
Ryan Fitzpatrick QB WAS UFA -
Jon Bostic ILB WAS UFA -
Cam Sims WR WAS UFA -
Cornelius Lucas LT WAS UFA -
J.D. McKissic RB WAS UFA Market Value
Darryl Roberts CB WAS UFA -
Bobby McCain CB WAS UFA -
Adam Humphries WR WAS UFA -
Tyler Larsen C WAS UFA -
Danny Johnson CB WAS UFA -
Ricky Seals-Jones TE WAS UFA -
Jared Norris OLB WAS UFA -
Torry McTyer CB WAS UFA -
Deandre Carter WR WAS UFA -
Jamil Douglas G WAS UFA -
Joey Slye K WAS UFA -
Troy Apke S WAS UFA -
Tim Settle DT WAS UFA

Cut Scherff, Apke, Fitzpatrick, Bostic, Douglas, 

Sign C Sims, Settle, Slye, D Carter, McKissic, RSJ

???????
Lucas, McCain, D Johnson, A Humphries, T Larsen, McTyer, Norris, D Roberts  

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1

Well I guess we’re going to lose Scherff next. I guess I get it to a degree but letting him walk for nothing is just crazy. I have no idea why he wasn’t dealt when they knew he wasn’t going to sign? We have to be the best at getting nothing back for talent. 

On 2/17/2022 at 9:26 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:
Brandon Scherff G WAS UFA Market Value
Ryan Fitzpatrick QB WAS UFA -
Jon Bostic ILB WAS UFA -
Cam Sims WR WAS UFA -
Cornelius Lucas LT WAS UFA -
J.D. McKissic RB WAS UFA Market Value
Darryl Roberts CB WAS UFA -
Bobby McCain CB WAS UFA -
Adam Humphries WR WAS UFA -
Tyler Larsen C WAS UFA -
Danny Johnson CB WAS UFA -
Ricky Seals-Jones TE WAS UFA -
Jared Norris OLB WAS UFA -
Torry McTyer CB WAS UFA -
Deandre Carter WR WAS UFA -
Jamil Douglas G WAS UFA -
Joey Slye K WAS UFA -
Troy Apke S WAS UFA -
Tim Settle DT WAS UFA

Cut Scherff, Apke, Fitzpatrick, Bostic, Douglas, 

Sign C Sims, Settle, Slye, D Carter, McKissic, RSJ

???????
Lucas, McCain, D Johnson, A Humphries, T Larsen, McTyer, Norris, D Roberts  

They guy on this list I really want to keep is ............Joey Slye. I think he could be long term . 

13 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Well I guess we’re going to lose Scherff next. I guess I get it to a degree but letting him walk for nothing is just crazy. I have no idea why he wasn’t dealt when they knew he wasn’t going to sign? We have to be the best at getting nothing back for talent. 

I don't guess we'll even get a 3rd cause we'll offset the signing with our own free agents from other teams .