Positional Needs Heading into the Offseason

MKnight82

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

If that’s true, it borders on “no-brainer” status to make a major offer there. A star true QB and he’s actually willing to play here? That’s the magic bullet.

From a football standpoint, Watson makes more sense than Wilson due to his age — but these things don’t happen in a vacuum, and there’s just no way that we can ignore the off-field stuff. I just don’t believe they have the cojones to make a massive trade for Watson. The whole “Commanders” thing is obviously their opportunity to rebrand and start a new chapter to leave behind a lot of the past ugliness, do they really want the guy leading them out onto the field in the beloved black and red jerseys to be the sort of guy who is in hot water for wagging his wiener (or worse) at two dozen lady masseuses? I just can’t get past that, and can’t see any way they actually go through with it. 

If that’s the case, Wilson is an obvious backup choice. For all the talk about how he was worse last season (and he clearly was at times), the guy still put up a 103 passer rating. Leave out the first game back after the finger injury when he was clearly still hurting, that number jumps to over 110. Which would have been 2nd in the league behind likely MVP Aaron Rodgers. 

He can still play. And he “only” just turned 33, which makes him younger than Matthew Stafford, for example. He has a lot of miles on him, but playing behind an OL like ours (substantially better than Seattle’s) might ease the burden a little bit.

Presumably, they’d renegotiate the contract immediately to bring down that cap number in the first couple years. Perhaps enough that they could keep Scherff and maybe even bring aboard his buddy Bobby Wagner for a couple seasons. Fill QB/MLB with those two guys and all of a sudden you’ve got something on your hands. One more safety, an RB3, maybe one more receiver? Although Dyami Brown would be loving a guy that chucks the deep ball like Russ does. 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

If that’s true, it borders on “no-brainer” status to make a major offer there. A star true QB and he’s actually willing to play here? That’s the magic bullet.

From a football standpoint, Watson makes more sense than Wilson due to his age — but these things don’t happen in a vacuum, and there’s just no way that we can ignore the off-field stuff. I just don’t believe they have the cojones to make a massive trade for Watson. The whole “Commanders” thing is obviously their opportunity to rebrand and start a new chapter to leave behind a lot of the past ugliness, do they really want the guy leading them out onto the field in the beloved black and red jerseys to be the sort of guy who is in hot water for wagging his wiener (or worse) at two dozen lady masseuses? I just can’t get past that, and can’t see any way they actually go through with it. 

If that’s the case, Wilson is an obvious backup choice. For all the talk about how he was worse last season (and he clearly was at times), the guy still put up a 103 passer rating. Leave out the first game back after the finger injury when he was clearly still hurting, that number jumps to over 110. Which would have been 2nd in the league behind likely MVP Aaron Rodgers. 

He can still play. And he “only” just turned 33, which makes him younger than Matthew Stafford, for example. He has a lot of miles on him, but playing behind an OL like ours (substantially better than Seattle’s) might ease the burden a little bit.

Presumably, they’d renegotiate the contract immediately to bring down that cap number in the first couple years. Perhaps enough that they could keep Scherff and maybe even bring aboard his buddy Bobby Wagner for a couple seasons. Fill QB/MLB with those two guys and all of a sudden you’ve got something on your hands. One more safety, an RB3, maybe one more receiver? Although Dyami Brown would be loving a guy that chucks the deep ball like Russ does. 

I like Russ. I’d be all for a trade but I just don’t want to gut the defense and send a ton of picks. The whole “do whatever takes” thing has never sat well with me. He’s been in a better organization with much better owners and a pretty good front office and all of that amounted to one super bowl. So if we can get him for a couple firsts, a second and some later picks then cool. I’m not sending Chase or Sweat plus multiple firsts. I’m not sending cornerstone building blocks away because we won’t have the picks to replace them for years. 

I’d love to have Russ and I think we’d be a contender but I don’t like the cost of signing him, the cost of obtaining him and how it will hurt other parts of the team. 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I like Russ. I’d be all for a trade but I just don’t want to gut the defense and send a ton of picks. The whole “do whatever takes” thing has never sat well with me. He’s been in a better organization with much better owners and a pretty good front office and all of that amounted to one super bowl. So if we can get him for a couple firsts, a second and some later picks then cool. I’m not sending Chase or Sweat plus multiple firsts. I’m not sending cornerstone building blocks away because we won’t have the picks to replace them for years. 

I’d love to have Russ and I think we’d be a contender but I don’t like the cost of signing him, the cost of obtaining him and how it will hurt other parts of the team. 

Well the Rams just sent two future firsts, a current 3rd and the terrible Jared Goff contract to the Lions for Stafford.  That Goff contract had negative value.  I'd say we should offer our current 2nd and a future first.  I think pick #11 is too valuable to give up for an aging QB. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I guess my outlook if you could get Russ for 2 1st and Sweat or Payne you do it cause you won't be able to pay both of them soon enough so trade one sign the other.

And hope Russ would get some better vets here cheap to fill out the needs at other positions

Nutshell analysis. spot on .

27 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Well the Rams just sent two future firsts, a current 3rd and the terrible Jared Goff contract to the Lions for Stafford.  That Goff contract had negative value.  I'd say we should offer our current 2nd and a future first.  I think pick #11 is too valuable to give up for an aging QB

We get Russell Wilson

Seattle gets 2022 2nd Rd Pick  (I like what @MKnight82 said)

2023 1st Rd Pick

DaRon Payne

Fair or Too much?

8 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

We get Russell Wilson

Seattle gets 2022 2nd Rd Pick  (I like what @MKnight82 said)

2023 1st Rd Pick

DaRon Payne

Fair or Too much?

The issue is they’re going to want Sweat or Young. Payne is on an expiring contract and interior defenders are not nearly as valuable as pass rushers. I look at this past season as an aberration as far as our edge rushers go. Young and Sweat are going to be a dominant duo and I have no interest in parting with either.

I know you have to have a franchise QB to win but Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson and Derek Carr have a combined two super bowl wins and these are the players we’re being told to spare no expense when trying to acquire. So sure, gut the roster and our drafts for guys who can’t make it to the super bowl consistently in better environments than what they’d be being traded too. It’s not to say they wouldn’t win a Super Bowl here but Seattle and Green Bay are light years beyond on the clown show operation we have and each QB has managed to win one Super Bowl. 

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The issue is they’re going to want Sweat or Young. Payne is on an expiring contract and interior defenders are not nearly as valuable as pass rushers. I look at this past season as an aberration as far as our edge rushers go. Young and Sweat are going to be a dominant duo and I have no interest in parting with either.

The Lions didn't get anywhere near that value for Stafford.  I think you're overestimating the price. 

I'm thinking about the trade for McNabb- same age. we gave a second and 3rd or 4 th.. not saying they are equal player, I haven't compared them stat for stat but I'm not giving up a ONE no way no how . 

I think he could be on the decline with the age and injuries. I don't like this idea .

1 minute ago, RSkinGM said:

I'm thinking about the trade for McNabb- same age. we gave a second and 3rd or 4 th.. not saying they are equal player, I haven't compared them stat for stat but I'm not giving up a ONE no way no how . 

I think he could be on the decline with the age and injuries. I don't like this idea .

Definitely R Wilson’s best years are behind him. He makes us a playoff team. I don’t know if he brings us to the SB, maybe? but stuff happens. He surely puts us over the line of mediocrity. Will bring excitement and make us relevant in contending for the Division. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I’m with @MKnight82 and @e16bballhere, the QB means so much and us as a franchise just don’t realize it because we’ve really never had a guy on that kind of level since Theismann or maybe he wasn’t even truly elite.

Our team is already good enough to win 7 games in back to back years w/ Haskins/K.Allen/A.Smith on 1 leg & Heinicke, our roster is good enough where if we added a QB like Russ it’s good enough for at least 3 wins, maybe more if some of our injuries players get & coke back healthy and our young players break out.