Positional Needs Heading into the Offseason

MKnight82

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I would say no.  I just don't see it with Lock.  

Yeah, I have seen games where I would say "hell yes!" and then other games where I would agree with you and say "hell no!"

I don't know how much magic Scott can do with him. He sort of polished Taylor up pretty well.

I liked the idea of taking him early in 2nd round in draft when he came out.

Edited by MacDog

I was about as big a Drew Lock fan as there was but he's lost. There's not really any coming back from how far he's gone and my guess is he ends up cut anyway. I'd throw a 6th rounder there way at most but even then I'd rather just use the 11th pick on one of the young guns in the draft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

I was about as big a Drew Lock fan as there was but he's lost. There's not really any coming back from how far he's gone and my guess is he ends up cut anyway. I'd throw a 6th rounder there way at most but even then I'd rather just use the 11th pick on one of the young guns in the draft.

Ya I mean its not just the cost of the pick to acquire him its the opportunity cost.  If you're trading for Drew Lock you're basically saying we aren't drafting another QB this year. I mean maybe I'd trade for him after the draft if things don't go our way.  But Drew Lock shouldn't be Plan A. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya I mean its not just the cost of the pick to acquire him its the opportunity cost.  If you're trading for Drew Lock you're basically saying we aren't drafting another QB this year. I mean maybe I'd trade for him after the draft if things don't go our way.  But Drew Lock shouldn't be Plan A. 

I'd sign Trubisky before trading for Lock

QB still the biggest thing that is a mystery to me cause my head says none of the Top QBs will want to come here(Rodger,Wilson,Watson) because of Dan but my Gut says Dan will make a big move at somepoint the offseason to try to sell the new team merch and tickets.

Grappollo or trading up in draft(Despite not really having to) feels like the two likely things to me

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

This is a big point, and a good one. 

It’s not like WR or CB where you’re like, sure, we’ll take as many good ones as we can get. When you add a QB, that’s usually a spot that you’re then definitively not going to use on another player. There’s only so many practice reps. There’s only so much time for the coaches to spend with each guy. There’s only so many preseason snaps. There’s only one “starting job.” There’s only one gameplan. You’re not going to have 5 QBs, and it’s one of those positions where having good depth means absolutely nothing in most games…really, carrying even 3 QBs is a waste unless one of them is a legit developmental prospect.

We have some mediocre guys that probably aren’t good enough to be The Guy™️. You want to spend some small price to go from Heinicke and/or Allen to someone like Lock, Trubisky, or Mariota? Okay, I guess. But how much value does that really provide? They still won’t be enough to make us matter, so what should we really invest to shuffle the deck chairs?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MacDog said:

If Aaron Rodgers joins Hackett in Denver, do we trade a 3rd or 4th to take a reclamation flier on Drew Lock.

Dude has shown flashes and has an ACTUAL NFL arm.

I am totally open to Drew Lock and like the idea of this.  Maybe a change of scenery will bring out the best in him.  But I am not trading real draft picks for him.  If they get rodgers, they will be spending all their cap and hoping to keep him for a couple years so Lock is as good as gone.  Maybe a 5th/6th, but that is the top end for a reclamation project on a 1 year deal.  

I loved Lock coming out of that draft, at this time, I just really don't think it would be smart to go after him. I agree with @ovfd55 if that's really the direction we're going to go we might as well go with Trubisky and not give up any capital, not that we'll draft anyone good anyways. One thing I've heard and I couldn't agree more with, if you have multiple quarterbacks, you don't have any at all. I think if whoever they bring in goes through a legit competition with Heinicke, be ready for another year of disappointment and depression. That is if it's through trade or free agency, but even in the draft it will still be a bit concerning if our 1st round qb can't beat out Taylor at some point in the first year. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, offbyone said:

I am totally open to Drew Lock and like the idea of this.  Maybe a change of scenery will bring out the best in him.  But I am not trading real draft picks for him.  If they get rodgers, they will be spending all their cap and hoping to keep him for a couple years so Lock is as good as gone.  Maybe a 5th/6th, but that is the top end for a reclamation project on a 1 year deal.  

I’d rather draft our own guy than to trade a pick for someone we know who sucks. Just sign Mariota or Trubisky, they’ve shown to be better than Lock in their careers already and we don’t have to give up a draft pick to acquire them.

Edited by turtle28

54 minutes ago, MacDog said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611659a6183c1be2f650c

They have?!?!?!?!?

Yes, look at their career stats. Trubisky went to the pro bowl in his 2nd season. The year the Titans came back and beat the Chiefs in the 2018 playoffs, Mariotta was good that year. 

In 2018 Trubisky made the pro bowl, he was: 67%, 3223 yds, 24 TDs, 12 ints, 95 rtg, 71 QBR in 14 games.

If he played all 17 games those stats are:

3900 yds & 29 TDs

In 2020 if he had started 17 games he would’ve had these stats: 67%, 3900 yds & 30 TDs

Mariota:

2016 if played 17 games: 61%, 3900 yds, 30 TDs, 95.6 rtg, 53 QBR 

I think they’re about as good as we’re going to do in free agency. We could sign Jameis Winston but he’s coming off a torn ACL and I think he’ll be too immature for Rivera just like Haskins was.

I’m not trying to stay these guys are answers, but they have untapped potential and more upside than Heinicke does. Heinicke will be on our roster & maybe he or a rookie we draft beat them out to be the starter but I do think this is the quality of QB we’re going to end up with bc none of the best will want to be trade here.

I 100% think we should draft a QB in round 1 or 2 regardless if we sign someone in FA or trade for someone or not.

41 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, look at their career stats. Trubisky went to the pro bowl in his 2nd season. The year the Titans came back and beat the Chiefs in the 2018 playoffs, Mariotta was good that year. 

In 2018 Trubisky made the pro bowl, he was: 67%, 3223 yds, 24 TDs, 12 ints, 95 rtg, 71 QBR in 14 games.

If he played all 17 games those stats are:

3900 yds & 29 TDs

In 2020 if he had started 17 games he would’ve had these stats: 67%, 3900 yds & 30 TDs

Mariota:

2016 if played 17 games: 61%, 3900 yds, 30 TDs, 95.6 rtg, 53 QBR 

I think they’re about as good as we’re going to do in free agency. We could sign Jameis Winston but he’s coming off a torn ACL and I think he’ll be too immature for Rivera just like Haskins was.

I’m not trying to stay these guys are answers, but they have untapped potential and more upside than Heinicke does. Heinicke will be on our roster & maybe he or a rookie we draft beat them out to be the starter but I do think this is the quality of QB we’re going to end up with bc none of the best will want to be trade here.

I 100% think we should draft a QB in round 1 or 2 regardless if we sign someone in FA or trade for someone or not.

I guess without doing a deep dive into career stats, I cannot really argue the point, but I can tell you I never saw games from either Trubisky or Marriotta that showed near the promise a few of Lock's games showed me.

But I respect your opinion.