Positional Needs Heading into the Offseason

MKnight82

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

But he's counting $28M against it THIS year. Everyone is quick to fantasy land about how this is only going to be one year. You don't swap 2nds, then trade a 3rd and a future 3rd/2nd AND take on the entire cap (without asking the Colts to take on some of it) if you only looked at it as a rental.

But say you did look on it as a 1 year rental, I would still do it. He counts $28m now on this year's cap. Freeing that up allows us to sign players (our own or other teams' FA) right now. 

Converting the signing bonus spreads that cap out over 2-3 years. So he only counts about $15m this year and then (if you cut him after this year) he only counts $13m next year. Yes, he won't be on the team and it's dead cap. But you know what converting the salary did for you? It freed up space to make the team better by freeing up cap to sign our guys or add to the team.

Plus, his presence makes it so we don't have to reach for a QB we're not in love with so we can draft the BPA or trade back and add more draft capital this year (and possibly next).

But back to the salary conversion.

If I told you that we just traded for Wentz and his cap hit was $15m guaranteed this year and $13m guaranteed next year, be honest with yourself. Would you be like "oh we're stuck with him for two years"?? Or would you be like "Okay, not too bad, If he sucks after this year, we can get rid of him without too much pain as the cap goes up about $20m next year anyway"???

For me, as I've said ad nauseum, he is here at least 2 years. Because of what I've said earlier and plus because Ron is not interested in developing rookie QBs.

The conversion is such a no-brainer that of course this team isn't going to do it.

Well, much like you I don’t believe they view him as a one-year solution. It’s sort of a catch-22 because there’s enough evidence to suggest this acquisition is not going to go well but Rivera just made his last decision on QB for this team. He tied himself to Wentz and if it doesn’t work he’s more than likely gone. I guess I just really wished they had gone the young QB route instead of the retread. It’s disheartening and just feels hopeless. 

• Like 1

I don’t have many issues with them staying out of free agency so far. I don’t think too much of this class. I’d like to see them go after Rashaan Evans and possibly Allen Robinson. I don’t expect them too because I think they’re trying to load up on compensation picks however. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

This is no different than 2020 or 2021. 

But even in 2020, they chased Amari Cooper right out of the gate, then signed Kendall Fuller pretty early (Tampering Tuesday, I think). And then last year, they signed Fitz on day 1, Samuel on day 2, and WJIII on day 3 (I think). 

This is a passive approach even by the prior standards, which of course were too passive by many of our standards 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

But even in 2020, they chased Amari Cooper right out of the gate, then signed Kendall Fuller pretty early (Tampering Tuesday, I think). And then last year, they signed Fitz on day 1, Samuel on day 2, and WJIII on day 3 (I think). 

This is a passive approach even by the prior standards, which of course were too passive by many of our standards 😂

We're still on Day 2. Something might happen.