Pro Football Hall of Fame announces 2022 Finalists

pwny

2 hours ago, pwny said:

If they’re going to put Boselli in the Hall, this seems the year that it should happen. The class is weak enough that it makes sense. If not this year, I think he’s basically done. 

I actually don't think I agree with this

Next year has a couple slam dunks with Joe Thomas and Darrelle Revis, but the rest of the ballot additions are Jahri Evans, Freeney, James Harrison.

2024 ballot has Julius Peppers and Antonio Gates as slam dunks, but the only other guy who has any shot whatsoever is Haloti Ngata

2023 might be a little tough because there are some real HOF there plus some backfill from the WR logjam currently on ballot.. but 2024 will clear through 3 guys for SURE who have been in limbo. 

If he doesn't get it in 2022, I think 2024 should be a really nice shot for him

6 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Not denying Patrick Willis was a beast but he's the least deserving imo

It's fair to cirticize his lack of longevity, but longevity or not, he is tied (with Zach Thomas) for the most All Pro selections of anyone on the ballot.

His peak is as good as anyone on the list, and better than most

Calvin, who had similar lack of longevity concerns was first ballot

Edited by Tk3

2 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

It's fair to cirticize his lack of longevity, but longevity or not, he is tied (with Zach Thomas) for the most All Pro selections of anyone on the ballot.

And I give him an extra nod for being the best sideline tackling MLB I have ever seen based so much on his closing speed. Before him anyone that fast got moved to safety.

5 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Oh for sure. Longevity is just something I really do appreciate maybe more than some others. Zach Thomas deserves more that what he received but didn't get enough appreciation because he played for Miami imo.

But if Willis got in, it's no different to me than Terrell Davis or Megatron. Except Davis rings but besides that. 

Edited by BullsandBroncos

Kind of surprised people are calling this a weak class.

Sure, the class lacks a Tom Brady or a Peyton Manning but all of these players were elite in certain aspects of the game for a varying period of time. I mean you have Hester who is arguably the GOAT returner, Allen who was an elite sacker, Ware who was the Cowboys D at times and Willis who was an insanely productive MLB.

That said, I think the HOF needs a wing called the Hall of Famous WR's cause tbh I think Holt, Johnson and Wayne all deserve the nod. As do like 10 WR's that are getting backlogged. It's not their fault you're on the field with 1-4 WR's at the time and there is no difference in designation. If you'd have LWR, RWR and since recent times SWR most of these guys would have been in already.

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Not denying Patrick Willis was a beast but he's the least deserving imo

Zach Thomas vs Patrick Willis is not even a contest. Zach by a country mile. 

Zach with 1,734 combo tackles, Willis with a woeful 950. Bring half the stats and hope for a HoF miracle? No. 

Zach was Urlacher-level production, without the Urlacher marketing hype machine. Even being considered for HoF is an honor, good luck to all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Makes no sense that LeRoy is already not in, specially when Atwater and Lynch got it these last two years when he had the superior stats. He's the only all-90's decade team guy who is not in. Plus he created the Lambeau Leap.

Would be great if Hester got in before Butler lol.

2 hours ago, FinSting said:

Zach Thomas vs Patrick Willis is not even a contest. Zach by a country mile. 

Zach with 1,734 combo tackles, Willis with a woeful 950. Bring half the stats and hope for a HoF miracle? No. 

Zach was Urlacher-level production, without the Urlacher marketing hype machine. Even being considered for HoF is an honor, good luck to all. 

Tackle totals? Really mate? :)

4 hours ago, DutchFalcon said:

Kind of surprised people are calling this a weak class.

Sure, the class lacks a Tom Brady or a Peyton Manning but all of these players were elite in certain aspects of the game for a varying period of time. I mean you have Hester who is arguably the GOAT returner, Allen who was an elite sacker, Ware who was the Cowboys D at times and Willis who was an insanely productive MLB.

That said, I think the HOF needs a wing called the Hall of Famous WR's cause tbh I think Holt, Johnson and Wayne all deserve the nod. As do like 10 WR's that are getting backlogged. It's not their fault you're on the field with 1-4 WR's at the time and there is no difference in designation. If you'd have LWR, RWR and since recent times SWR most of these guys would have been in already.

Willis and Allen were already eligible last year. Generally when people talk about the strength of a hall of fame nominee class, they'll be talking mostly about the newly eligible ones. Because anyone else has already been passed over in past years, so like, if Allen and Willis get in this year, that alone would imply that last year's class was stronger, since they weren't good enough to get in then. If that makes sense.

Might as well make it an easy theme for the media by including all 3 Miami Hurricanes -- Wayne, Johnson and Hester. That would vault Miami above Ohio State and Michigan into third place with 12 inductees. Boselli should make it. The dominant player with a shortened career has recent history with Kenny Easley. Boselli would boost USC above Notre Dame into the top spot with 14 Hall of Famers.

During his career I didn't think Zach Thomas was Hall of Fame caliber. But his awards say otherwise.