Pound the Table 2022!

Scoundrel

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I see a first rounder when I watch Alec Pierce. He seems to have it all: size, quickness, speed, hands, route running, ball skills. What am I missing?

I liked him. He kind of reminded me of Alshon Jeffery in terms of skillset and style. He's a more intense blocker and special teamer than Jeffery was, but not quite as dominant in the air. Where the comparison holds for me is in his speed. Like Jeffery, he's not that quick off the LOS imo. But he has that second gear that allows him to blow by CBs around 10 to 15 yards. Think he's too predictable and upright in his releases. Still, I like him a lot. Great football character. Vertical threat. I'd say put him on a team that values vertical passing, stick him outside the numbers, and let him run routes based off of his ability to get a vertical push. What is he missing? Not a dynamic YAC guy. 

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I liked him. He kind of reminded me of Alshon Jeffery in terms of skillset and style. He's a more intense blocker and special teamer than Jeffery was, but not quite as dominant in the air. Where the comparison holds for me is in his speed. Like Jeffery, he's not that quick off the LOS imo. But he has that second gear that allows him to blow by CBs around 10 to 15 yards. Think he's too predictable and upright in his releases. Still, I like him a lot. Great football character. Vertical threat. I'd say put him on a team that values vertical passing, stick him outside the numbers, and let him run routes based off of his ability to get a vertical push. What is he missing? Not a dynamic YAC guy. 

Guess I need my eyes checked 

11 hours ago, AllThingsTN said:

His production sure didn’t come close to randy moss:

Moss (in one year) - 96 receptions | 1820 yards | 26 TDs

Watsons (best year) - 43 receptions | 800 yards | 7 TDs

I'm not going to compare him to Moss, but Watson has insane wheels and is 6'4+". I definitely want to give him a close look.

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

No, no, no, no.

Scouts waste laughable amounts of time looking for receivers who create separation. The receivers who fail miserably are speed types who don't have physical and especially mental fortitude for that position. The Andre Johnson/Courtland Finnegan battles should have been a minor hint toward where the position was headed. For every clever receiver who creates separation there are a half dozen failures looking for that type as opposed to prioritizing the guys who win tight quarters.

On 1/17/2022 at 8:19 AM, MikeT14 said:

If you want a DI-AA lineman that I would take in the draft or as a preferred signee: Liam Fornadel, JMU. Might have to move to guard, but would be a interesting late round prospect. 

https://jmusports.com/sports/football/roster/liam-fornadel/17197 

-Speaking of JMU I mentioned him before but I really like Mike Greene (DE/DT 6'3 292)

-As far as Pound the table, preseason I liked Sauce Gardner so much that I said he would push for CB1 and he is, I see him as a Richard Sherman type of CB

-Jermaine Johnson should be considered in the upper crust of the edge rushers in this class

-Breece Hall is this year's Javonte Williams 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Scouts waste laughable amounts of time looking for receivers who create separation. The receivers who fail miserably are speed types who don't have physical and especially mental fortitude for that position. The Andre Johnson/Courtland Finnegan battles should have been a minor hint toward where the position was headed. For every clever receiver who creates separation there are a half dozen failures looking for that type as opposed to prioritizing the guys who win tight quarters.

It's certainly important to have guys who can finish through contact, but let's not minimize the importance of having WRs who can create separation. Separation at the college and NFL levels are different in terms of degree, but it very much matters. There aren't many guys who have successful careers who lack the ability to consistently create separation. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It's certainly important to have guys who can finish through contact, but let's not minimize the importance of having WRs who can create separation. Separation at the college and NFL levels are different in terms of degree, but it very much matters. There aren't many guys who have successful careers who lack the ability to consistently create separation. 

Yep, separation isn't like in college where you are 15 yards open. It is creating that yard to allow your QB to get the ball to your outside shoulder. 

• Like 2

On 1/15/2022 at 1:11 AM, jrry32 said:

This one is going to pain me because I hate UGA with a burning passion, but the truth is the truth.

DL Travon Walker - He's raw. His pass rush plans and moveset are underdeveloped. And he's slow off the snap. He's also an absolutely freakishly rare prospect with the upside to be Cameron Jordan. He's big (6'4+" 280), he punches like Tyson, he is country strong, and he's a freakish mover for his size. He also has motor that constantly runs hot. Put this guy on the edge, polish his pass rushing, and then watch him go off.

LB Nakobe Dean - He's a heat-seeking missile out there. Absolutely flies to the ball. Similar to Roquan Smith in many ways, but Dean handles blockers better. Still can get engulfed, though, when interior OLs get their hands on him. Regardless, he's a modern LB and an impact player in a scheme that uses him creatively.

LB Quay Walker - He doesn't have the instincts Dean does at this juncture. You can see the lack of experience. Sometimes, he sees it and flies to the ball. Other times, he's hesitating, taking false steps, or not quite in the right spot. Regardless, he's 6'4" 240+ with speed, agility, loose hips, and the length to defeat blocks. Let this guy get experience, accept the inconsistencies early in his career, and I think he'll turn into a very good all around ILB.

i just watched tape on all three and I agree completely.  Travon Walker is going to be a Demon with the right coach.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

You're right. Clearly it's a waste of time to look for receivers who do the most important thing at the receiver position.

Wasn’t a big fan of Pierce.  He’s pretty fast, just seemed like he was always moving one speed.   Didn’t change, or set defenders up.     Didn’t settle into a zone and give a good window.    I like him vertically,  but he has a ways to go in other areas. 

• Like 1