Pound the Table 2022!

Scoundrel

53 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

How do you determine this when they play press man? 🤔

Except when they don't play press man.  Plenty of film out there of Cinn and Gardner playing zone.  Watch vs Indiana.  He is playing zone when he 1/2 turns in his backpedal and is watching the backfield.  He is very grabby playing m-t-m which is why I think he will be better in zone.

57 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Except when they don't play press man.  Plenty of film out there of Cinn and Gardner playing zone.  Watch vs Indiana.  He is playing zone when he 1/2 turns in his backpedal and is watching the backfield.  He is very grabby playing m-t-m which is why I think he will be better in zone.

A few things:

A. What you saw was a Match Quarters concept which turns into off man if the nearest guy goes vertical basically the same thing, you just show man concept to fool teams into throwing into zone on occasion or take away the deep threat and make teams small ball you, they run at least 85% man

B. Being grabby as a basis for him being better in zone is ridiculous, I can see length and ability to cover a large amount of ground in zone but being grabby? come on, also he will have DB coaches at the next level to coach him up if they deem that as an issue. 

C. He gave up only 110 yards on 30 attempts, its safe to say he is better at man, but I will say with his length (Given he measures true to what he is listed) he has the potential to be a problem in zone as well. 

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

I agree that they run man a lot but not exclusively.

We have seen a lot of grabby corners in college struggle in the NFL when they can't just grab.  Rather than being better in zone coverage lets say he could struggle in man coverage when he can't grab.  He has the ability but needs to learn or will draw a lot of penalties.

Compare Gardner to Booth (Clemson).  Clemson plays more zone than Cinn and Booth does well but does not anticipate and squeeze of routes like Gardner in zone.  In man, Booth relies on his athleticism and can stick to a WR without ( too much) grabbing.

Both corners are really good and 1st round picks.  Both need some work but without any coaching at all, I think Booth will do better in Man and Gardner in zone.   They both can do either well.  Of course, all of this is my opinion and I have been know to be wrong enough times that I do not worry about it.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 12:46 PM, jebrick said:

I agree that they run man a lot but not exclusively.

We have seen a lot of grabby corners in college struggle in the NFL when they can't just grab.  Rather than being better in zone coverage lets say he could struggle in man coverage when he can't grab.  He has the ability but needs to learn or will draw a lot of penalties.

7 hours ago, Techbert said:

The thing you have to scout about "grabbiness" is whether they grab cuz they have to or they grab cuz they can.

Rock Ya-Sin. Period.

• 2 weeks later...

Kenneth Walker. He has an excellent combination of quickness, burst, patience, balance, and vision. Love his ability to make people miss in tight spaces. I'd be thrilled if the Saints grab him in the 2nd round especially with the Kamara situation going on.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Johnny Nix said:

Why isn’t CB Mario Goodrich getting more love? The more I watch him, I see a early day 2 prospect that doesn’t have a lot of weaknesses. 

I'm there with you. I've been pretty high on Goodrich as well and have mentioned him for the niners a couple of times. It probably doesn't help that Booth was on the other side. 

On 2/22/2022 at 9:49 AM, tyler735 said:

Kenneth Walker. He has an excellent combination of quickness, burst, patience, balance, and vision. Love his ability to make people miss in tight spaces. I'd be thrilled if the Saints grab him in the 2nd round especially with the Kamara situation going on.

Is he Jonathan Taylor special or just another college rb with good stats? 

6 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm there with you. I've been pretty high on Goodrich as well and have mentioned him for the niners a couple of times. It probably doesn't help that Booth was on the other side. 

I think he honestly could sneak into the back end of the first if he tests well