Wildcard Round GDT - Dallas Cowboys vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm not too concerned with the offense outside of which Jimmy will show up. My biggest concern is Dak and the fact we struggle against mobile QBs. There has to be structure and discipline to our pass-rush and we struggle we can't just 'hunt' and pin our ears back. Need to be very sound against the boots and other actions outside the tackles.

I think with Armstead moving inside, we should be better against the mobile QBs. Bosa is one guy known to just pin his ear and lose the edge but Ebukam on the other side does a great job of setting the edge and staying disciplined. His issue is that he's just not a great athlete.

I think we need to give the Cowboys defense a little more respect. They finished #1 in DVOA and they have a bunch of playmakers. Parsons really can wreck the game along with their other edge rushers and they are very opportune defense. I think we have to be nervous about Jimmy and how he just gives up the ball. He lost a fumble last week that was recovered by one of the OL but he could let go of a few on Sunday plus the one or two suspect decisions with his arm. This has to be a clean game by the offense. If they play clean, then the offense should be able to move the ball and do damage. But we saw against the Titans how the sloppy play can ruin the game. We had some big penalties and turnovers in the first half and to start the second half that just killed the offense. I just hope unlike the prior two games, the offense can start out fast and stay one step ahead of the Cowboys defense. I'm expecting a big game from Kittle and I see a 50+ yard reception from Aiyuk at some point in the game. 

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

FiveThirtyEight likes Dallas quite a bit (-5.5) in this matchup and gives them about 70% to win. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-to-watch-for-in-the-nfls-wild-card-weekend/

I saw that this morning and thought they were way too high on the home teams this weekend. Like all of them have a 70-80% chance to win but if you look back the last 5 years or so, the road teams in the WC round do very well. Road teams, collectively, are averaging 2 or 3 wins a year in the first round. 

There are going to be upsets this weekend and I hope we’re one of them. And honestly, my dream scenario would all road teams in the NFC win this weekend so we get to go AZ and get some revenge and avoid the Packers in the second round. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think with Armstead moving inside, we should be better against the mobile QBs. Bosa is one guy known to just pin his ear and lose the edge but Ebukam on the other side does a great job of setting the edge and staying disciplined. His issue is that he's just not a great athlete.

I think we need to give the Cowboys defense a little more respect. They finished #1 in DVOA and they have a bunch of playmakers. Parsons really can wreck the game along with their other edge rushers and they are very opportune defense. I think we have to be nervous about Jimmy and how he just gives up the ball. He lost a fumble last week that was recovered by one of the OL but he could let go of a few on Sunday plus the one or two suspect decisions with his arm. This has to be a clean game by the offense. If they play clean, then the offense should be able to move the ball and do damage. But we saw against the Titans how the sloppy play can ruin the game. We had some big penalties and turnovers in the first half and to start the second half that just killed the offense. I just hope unlike the prior two games, the offense can start out fast and stay one step ahead of the Cowboys defense. I'm expecting a big game from Kittle and I see a 50+ yard reception from Aiyuk at some point in the game. 

Well that's what I mean in terms of which Jimmy will show up.

I have confidence that Shanny will put a guy like Parsons in conflict, more times than not with the outside zone and late releasers from the TEs and backs in the short passing game. They absolutely have playmakers on that D. But Shanny will utilize every blade of grass in terms of making them defend with structure and not their eyes and athleticism. Jimmy is the wildcard, as we all know 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

I saw that this morning and thought they were way too high on the home teams this weekend. Like all of them have a 70-80% chance to win but if you look back the last 5 years or so, the road teams in the WC round do very well. Road teams, collectively, are averaging 2 or 3 wins a year in the first round. 

There are going to be upsets this weekend and I hope we’re one of them. And honestly, my dream scenario would all road teams in the NFC win this weekend so we get to go AZ and get some revenge and avoid the Packers in the second round. 

Not sure about that. I mean, even in a 70% win scenario, that means you're getting two dogs (road teams) winning out of the 6 game more often than not. The only two games they have at 80% are the Bucs and Chiefs games. It seems high on the surface but it's actually somewhat supported by what you're saying. 

Shanny feels good for Azeez playing this week.

Trent is not even on the injury report.

K'waun was not on the injury report either.

Harris/Hufanga are both questionable. Hopefully Hufanga can go.

Hurst is also good to go. Will he be activated though? 

Wish is questionable but Shanny is optimistic he plays. Has to show no symptoms tomorrow and then he's good to go.

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Shanny feels good for Azeez playing this week.

Trent is not even on the injury report.

K'waun was not on the injury report either.

Harris/Hufanga are both questionable. Hopefully Hufanga can go.

Hurst is also good to go. Will he be activated though? 

Wish is questionable but Shanny is optimistic he plays. Has to show no symptoms tomorrow and then he's good to go.

If Hurst is 100%, he needs to be active. He can work off the rust as the game progresses. I think he adds another element to our run defense, as he can spell DJ with little to no drop off in play.  

Azeez being back would be huge also. He really has been a pleasant surprise this year, with Greenlaw missing most of the season.

19 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

If Hurst is 100%, he needs to be active. He can work off the rust as the game progresses. I think he adds another element to our run defense, as he can spell DJ with little to no drop off in play.  

Azeez being back would be huge also. He really has been a pleasant surprise this year, with Greenlaw missing most of the season.

I'm fine with Hurst getting some snaps but man he hasn't played in MONTHS. Jones does get banged up quite a bit so maybe Hurst's services will be needed.