Wildcard Round GDT - Dallas Cowboys vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

6 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I expect the 49ers fans to show up in full force the last time the 49ers went to Dallas, which I think was the 2014 season. 

It's a ton of us down here. If not for covid going crazy I'd be in the building. The prices for season tickets/parking at Jerry world are crazy. Cowboy fans will sell to make up for the yearly loss. Should be half red is my guess. 

Edited by sherm

So, I’ll admit that I have not watched a single down of the Cowboys this year and really don’t know the in’s and out’s of this team outside of broad strokes stuff. So, I dug into their analytics on PFF, Pro Football Reference, Football Outsiders, and RBSDM. 

Some things I found interesting:

Diggs as a cover corner - Not elite.

But, his elite ball skills help to mask some of his coverage issues. 

Corners with a minimum 500 coverage snaps

• Penalties committed: 11 (1st)
  • Targets: 96 (5th)
  • Completions: (8th)
  • Yards given up: 1,016 (1st) 
  • Y/CMP: 18.5 (1st)
  • YAC: 425 (3rd)
  • TDs: 5 (4th)
  • PFF Coverage Grade: 66.7 (19th)

When Diggs is in man coverage, his numbers are even worse. He’s better in zone and more of a ball hawk in zone, but still gives up a lot of yards and completions. Make no mistake, we can throw on Diggs and have success. We just can’t target him over and over again, because he will eventually make us pay. The good thing is that the 49ers don’t usually go after corners directly on the outside, so this will help to minimize Diggs a bit. 

YAC Bros Can Feast

Mentioning Diggs' issues with giving up YAC is only a portion of the picture. According to PFF, the Cowboys have 3 of the 10 worst corners at preventing YAC. Diggs is 3rd worst, Lewis is 5th worst, and Brown is 9th worst. Their top safety, Jayron Kearse leads all safeties in YAC given up as well. As a team, DAL has given up almost 2,300 YAC yards this season. That's 4th worst in the NFL. 

Running the Ball

According to Football Outsiders, teams that run the ball to the right side (left side of DAL D-line) have a lot of success. 

DAL D-Line Adjusted Line Yards Rank (Defense Perspective):

• Wide Right - 16th
  • Right End - 5th
  • Up the Middle - 6th
  • Left End - 31st
  • Wide Left - 27th

DAL is also 19th in Stuffed Rate at 16%, which means they only stop the ball carrier at or behind the LoS 16%of the time. In comparison, the 49ers are 6th with 21%.

Now, some might say that running at their right side wouldn't be a good idea, but if Trent is healthy, I feel pretty confident he can open up holes. The nice thing is that Compton, for as bad as he is in pass pro, has been upper-level elite at run blocking. So really, we should have the ability to run either direction with success.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

So, I’ll admit that I have not watched a single down of the Cowboys this year and really don’t know the in’s and out’s of this team outside of broad strokes stuff. So, I dug into their analytics on PFF, Pro Football Reference, Football Outsiders, and RBSDM. 

Some things I found interesting:

Diggs as a cover corner - Not elite.

But, his elite ball skills help to mask some of his coverage issues. 

Corners with a minimum 500 coverage snaps

• Penalties committed: 11 (1st)
  • Targets: 96 (5th)
  • Completions: (8th)
  • Yards given up: 1,016 (1st) 
  • Y/CMP: 18.5 (1st)
  • YAC: 425 (3rd)
  • TDs: 5 (4th)
  • PFF Coverage Grade: 66.7 (19th)

When Diggs is in man coverage, his numbers are even worse. He’s better in zone and more of a ball hawk in zone, but still gives up a lot of yards and completions. Make no mistake, we can throw on Diggs and have success. We just can’t target him over and over again, because he will eventually make us pay. The good thing is that the 49ers don’t usually go after corners directly on the outside, so this will help to minimize Diggs a bit. 

YAC Bros Can Feast

Mentioning Diggs' issues with giving up YAC is only a portion of the picture. According to PFF, the Cowboys have 3 of the 10 worst corners at preventing YAC. Diggs is 3rd worst, Lewis is 5th worst, and Brown is 9th worst. Their top safety, Jayron Kearse leads all safeties in YAC given up as well. As a team, DAL has given up almost 2,300 YAC yards this season. That's 4th worst in the NFL. 

Running the Ball

According to Football Outsiders, teams that run the ball to the right side (left side of DAL D-line) have a lot of success. 

DAL D-Line Adjusted Line Yards Rank (Defense Perspective):

• Wide Right - 16th
  • Right End - 5th
  • Up the Middle - 6th
  • Left End - 31st
  • Wide Left - 27th

DAL is also 19th in Stuffed Rate at 16%, which means they only stop the ball carrier at or behind the LoS 16%of the time. In comparison, the 49ers are 6th with 21%.

Now, some might say that running at their right side wouldn't be a good idea, but if Trent is healthy, I feel pretty confident he can open up holes. The nice thing is that Compton, for as bad as he is in pass pro, has been upper-level elite at run blocking. So really, we should have the ability to run either direction with success.

• Like 1