A New Era: Zimmer and Spielman both fired on Black Monday

vike daddy

On 1/14/2022 at 4:01 PM, Ozzy said:

I say again only reason anyone cares about Zimmer's personality is because they lost games, if they won 3-4 more games this year he would most likely still be the coach.

Sure O'Neill said something, but again if they would have won as a team no one would give a crap what O'Neill's feelings are on the subject because there would be results people wanted.

So for the Vikings to go out and simply hire a 'nice' coach, that absolutely absurd and if that is the bar enjoy the failure soon to come.  

There is a laundry list of African American defensive coordinators that are not hired as head coaches because what they do not "interview" well?  Or because the rich white owner cannot relate to this black coach and connect with them like they can with their white counterparts unless they are wildly charismatic or communicate extremely well ala Mike Tomlin.  Either way hopefully some 'Black' coaches get opportunities this time around unlike the last coaching hire cycle.  

Being a tough coach or a nice coach has very little bearings on team success.

I'm not going to respond to the rest of that ridiculous comment.

21 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Being a tough coach or a nice coach has very little bearings on team success.

I'm not going to respond to the rest of that ridiculous comment.

True, the players ultimately determine that yet some talk about a guy saying hi to you in the hallway or not as really important.  

I sure hope you are not saying the coaching situation in the NFL is not ridiculous, because it is.  There are currently three minority coaches in the NFL and that includes Robert Saleh who is Lebanese, Ron Rivera who is Puerto Rican/Latino and Mike Tomlin African America.   3 out of 32 teams is not exactly doing well in terms of minority head coaching hires and yes hopefully that changes this next cycle with multiple successful defensive and offensive coordinators that should get a chance at being the head coach as a minority.  

Where as the NBA, 43% of the head coaches are minorities which is up from 23% the year before.  One league is trying to make changes with respect to equal opportunities for all, the other is not or at least lately is not.  Same could be said for college football for that matter outside of a few Universities.  Of the top 30 or so new college football head coaching hires, Marcus Freeman and Jay Norvell are the only minority hires.  

Sure one can say race should not be discussed but in regards to coaching behavior, hard to ignore owner/management behavior if one is going to dissect a coaches behavior.

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

True, the players ultimately determine that yet some talk about a guy saying hi to you in the hallway or not as really important.  

I sure hope you are not saying the coaching situation in the NFL is not ridiculous, because it is.  There are currently three minority coaches in the NFL and that includes Robert Saleh who is Lebanese, Ron Rivera who is Puerto Rican/Latino and Mike Tomlin African America.   3 out of 32 teams is not exactly doing well in terms of minority head coaching hires and yes hopefully that changes this next cycle with multiple successful defensive and offensive coordinators that should get a chance at being the head coach as a minority.  

Where as the NBA, 43% of the head coaches are minorities which is up from 23% the year before.  One league is trying to make changes with respect to equal opportunities for all, the other is not or at least lately is not.  Same could be said for college football for that matter outside of a few Universities.  Of the top 30 or so new college football head coaching hires, Marcus Freeman and Jay Norvell are the only minority hires.  

Sure one can say race should not be discussed but in regards to coaching behavior, hard to ignore owner/management behavior if one is going to dissect a coaches behavior.

I don't think we should be discussing that topic on FF.

I just want the Vikings to hire the best person for the job. I prefer to look past surface level diversity.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

@Ozzylast warning, we don’t discuss race on these forums. Next one will be reported to Webmaster. 

2 hours ago, Purplexing said:

It's gonna take some brainstormin' to find a way for The Wilfs to get the Wilfs fired.

One of them should be residing in The Twin Cities' Metro Area, and in his office in The building, every day.  It is unfathomable that Rick and Mike hadn't talked to each other for over a month, at the time of the season's last game, and that The Wilfs had NO idea that was the situation.  Clearly Mike had a falling out with Rick when the latter went above Mike's objections and signed Cousins to the team-crippling contract.  Not only did that really hurt chances to fill growing holes in the roster, but it threw the two of them working together for the good of the team, out the window, and got worse as it went along till this season's disaster.   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Raiche and Brown should immediately be disqualified for being in the same building when Reagor was picked over Jefferson. There that narrows the list down. 

Really?

No one even know if their advice on WR prospects was even taken. Sometimes a GM just falls for a prospect, and team personnel cannot convince them otherwise. 

11 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Raiche and Brown should immediately be disqualified for being in the same building when Reagor was picked over Jefferson. There that narrows the list down. 

This is a team run by Howie Roseman.  Catherine was a Football Operations coordinator when he was drafted and Brown has control over pro scouting not college scouting...so if you think either one had any significant say over that draft or selection, you are highly mistaken.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, swede700 said:

This is a team run by Howie Roseman.  Catherine was a Football Operations coordinator when he was drafted and Brown has control over pro scouting not college scouting...so if you think either one had any significant say over that draft or selection, you are highly mistaken.

It was a joke. The point is, why even tie draft picks to these candidates when they had nothing to do with them. Which is my greater point in that I want a candidate who been closely involved with the actual draft and scouting, not a football ops person.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

What does a football operations coordinator do?