2022 College Prospect Thread

germ-x

1 hour ago, broncofan48 said:

I personally prefer getting some young talent on this team and stockpiling some picks, but with the way Payton ignored long term cap implications in NO + richest owners in the league it’s not impossible imo that he does what is needed to get his QBOTF and let’s the next guy worry about cap hell and a depleted roster 

Sadly, we're already in "cap hell with a depleted roster".

15 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Please, after the Russ fiasco, tell me you're being sarcastic.

Draft trade.

When you fell off your bike the first time, did you never get back on it? In this case let's do nothing and stay in total slump until the dawn of time.

8 hours ago, French Fan said:

Draft trade.

When you fell off your bike the first time, did you never get back on it? In this case let's do nothing and stay in total slump until the dawn of time.

Of course I got back on. I just quit riding it off a cliff.

On 1/7/2024 at 8:37 PM, broncosfan_101 said:

3.17 (from NO)

4.TBD (from MIA)

5.10 (from NYJ)

6.TBD (from SF)

Those are our picks for now, as far as I can tell. Can someone clear up our 7th rounder for me? From everything I’ve read, we’ve actually traded it twice?? First, for Wil Lutz, and then again in the Randy Gregory trade (Gregory + 7th for SF’s 6th). Any idea?

The 4th rounder from MIA will be the 23rd pick of the round. Also, I found the discrepancy in the 7th rounders. The Kenny Young trade was him plus a 7th in 2024 for our 2024 6th, so at some point we had two 7th’s, and traded both away.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

someone talk me out of Bo Nix?  Age?  Seems like he’d be a fringe top 10 pick in a normal year.

He’s always had the tools but finally put it together the last two seasons. Arguments against him are that he found success only after leaving the SEC and playing in a 1 read offense. We still don’t know if he can read a field after 40+ starts. He’s got good accuracy and pocket feel/mobility, plus arm, ability to change arm angles. But he has never shown the most important aspect. To be fair, neither has Penix and I have them neck and neck, as day 2 picks 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

someone talk me out of Bo Nix?  Age?  Seems like he’d be a fringe top 10 pick in a normal year.

I never get the age thing when it comes to QB. Like, if you think he's the one, why would him being 24 bother you?

"Ahhhhhh can't draft that guy who we think is going to be a really good QB. He's only going to be able to do it for a measly 12 years instead of 15. What a shame"

I know it's not you saying that, but it's rife in the draft community and I don't get it. RB? Sure, I get it. WR? Sure, I (kinda) get it. But QB? Who the hell cares.

5 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I know I’m preaching to the choir here but our DL is terrible. 5th most blitzes, 4th worst QB pressure rate, worst rush YPC. We need multiple picks to address this issue

I'm sure it will come to no surprise that I am fully onboard with this.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I know I’m preaching to the choir here but our DL is terrible. 5th most blitzes, 4th worst QB pressure rate, worst rush YPC. We need multiple picks to address this issue

I think I mentioned this once, but it bears repeating.

On the Bronco's website they list 6 D Linemen on the depth chart, Zach Allen was the only one listed who was drafted before the 6th round. He went in the 3rd. The other 5? Two 6th round picks and 3 UDFA's. 

Also, we probably need to reevaluate the position as far as value. We've been treating it as a necessary evil with little importance for far too long. Hopefully Sean will fix that.

• Like 5

Yeah, the trenches is where this game is one.  They need to get that all figured out before getting a high QB draft pick.  They need to keep Cush, in my opinion, he deserves the extension, or they will need to draft a center.  It seems like there are good pieces on the offensive line, but perhaps an upgrade and getting younger at LT is a good idea?  

3 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Yeah, the trenches is where this game is one.  They need to get that all figured out before getting a high QB draft pick.  They need to keep Cush, in my opinion, he deserves the extension, or they will need to draft a center.  It seems like there are good pieces on the offensive line, but perhaps an upgrade and getting younger at LT is a good idea?  

Well, how much money can we spend along the O-line? I agree Cush may deserve a raise, but he'll probably get more on the open market than here. Also, hear they're pretty high on that Forsyth kid out of ORE they drafted last year, they did stash him on the roster all year after all. 

As for the D-line, we do need an upgrade there. The only real Dlineman worth of 1st rd selection is Newton out of ILL. I do like the massive run-stopper out of Texas, T'Vondre Sweat as well as the potential of Ruke Orhorhoro, both would look good along side of Allen, maybe a trade back could even net us both.  

On 1/15/2024 at 6:00 PM, bMiller031 said:

Besides the first-read O, the other part - Oregon's O literally has Nix throwing the ball 5 yard beyond LOS or less.   

Late bloomer, first-read, and very little requirement to throw the ball downfield.    Again, it's a massive, massive, massive flag about capped NFL ceiling when you have guys who don't succeed until they're 22 or 23 (Joe Burrow's the one exception with the old redshirt rules, but in Nix's case, he had plenty of starts at Auburn, and he struggled mightily). 

I get the pre-college year buzz was that this was an amazing draft class.  I love it at the top, and the depth is nice if you're looking for projects, but again there are no early success stories except Penix, outside of the top 3 guys.   It's full of guys who are Day 2-3 types, with the late bloomer successs being a major downer to NFL ceiling. 

I mean, this class will add much-needed depth to the backup / fringe tier - they'll be far better than the Mason Rudolph's, Ben Dinucci's,  Brett Rypien, Trevor Simien types who somehow get a 5+ year career.   But it's hard to get too excited thinking there's a future franchise QB given what we know about late college bloomers.    

Edited by Broncofan

7 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Drafting a young LT should be a priority. In this era you actually need LT talent on  both ends of the LOS. The McGlinchey experiment has failed. He's no where near the OT Bolles is but costs almost as much.

Even at 32, Bolles doesn't have the typical wear and tear of others the same age. In football years he's sill pretty young. He's a family  guy and would love to finish his career right here. He'd jump at a deal that would keep  him here. That'd give us time to develop his replacement. He's easily a top 10 talent at the position and we can't really afford to be losing talent.

Cush made a big leap this year but not sure it's enough to warrant the contract he'll want. Besides, they kept Forsyth, a guy @broncos_fan _from _uk was high on last year for good reason, on the 53 all year. 

It's just unbelievable to me that our big FA acquisitions were so poorly scouted and vetted. McGlinchey hasn't been a good OT since he was playing next to that Nelson kid at ND and what they saw in Powers that Baltimore didn't is beyond me. 

Anyway, we've ignored both sides of the LOS fronts for a long time. It's really time to catch up.

• Like 2

We don't have enough picks to address the needs of this team. I'd be shocked if we draft an OL early. Bolles and McGlinchey will almost certainly be the OTs come next season. We absolutely need to draft DL, but there's precisely one R1 prospect (Jerzhan Newton) and no one else. Without a R2 pick, we're not really in a great spot to address that position meaningfully unless we take Newton.

My vote is we either take QB or we trade back and amass as many picks as possible. It has to be one or the other. Allbright, who I don't really care for, seems convinced we're going to target a cost effective QB option like Garoppolo, which is possible the most boring and pointless addition ever. But if it allows us to trade back multiple times we should do it I guess.

• Like 1