Divisional Round GDT Bills @ Chiefs: Revenge on the mind

Trentwannabe

Just now, Kmart128 said:

Because everytime our defense plays the Chiefs they play scared instead of playing the way they play all year. They play so deep that allows guys like Kelce and Hill to get space. I get you dont want Hill to get past you but we are playing so far off that once he gets the ball underneath he is still fast enough to run right past you. Never was a fan of the defensive approach we have taken against them...

I think you are 100% correct, it sure looked to me that they were giving Hill, and Kelce way too much space. Good post Kmart.

3 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

I dont necessarily agree here. A squib kick and its most likely a kneel down. Which would probably be about 12 seconds from the around the 30 yard line. Im more upset with how freakinh soft we played.  We have them 2 freaking 20 yard passes when they had 3 timeouts. That was just a bad decision by Frazier.

I think on kickoff they were afraid of Pringle. Even on a squib its possible for it for players to let it go and pick it up or even the upman to lateral it to the playmaker behind him. Say pringle did get a chance and returned it to FG range. We would be talking about why we didnt just kick ball out of the endzone.

Guess my point being is execution is more important. If we execute we win no matter if its a kickback or a squib

You kick high to 5 or 10.  Squib likely gives up too much field and/or gets immediately downed like you say.

The high kick give coverage time and also forces the return which is what you want.   

You can’t worry about big return, that is a risk but the lessor one in this case.  

Then you don’t give that much space that you are in man without the extra pressure on QB.  

Long time Chiefs fan here. Started following them when my parents moved to Kansas City in 1971 - 1 year after they won the Super Bowl. Lots of mediocre years still cheering them on. The Bills are for real, and could/should have won this game. Josh Allen is on a level with Patrick Mahomes, arguably the best 2 young QBs in the game today. You have a great head coach, a solid Defense, and one of the most explosive Offenses in the game. Your day will come!

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

McDermott needs to hand the reigns of the defense over to someone else. With an offense like this you can play aggressive defense. 

Go get Fangio or someone else. Prove you care about making changes and not status quo.

Getting Fangio would be great but you guys need to get more explosive pass rushers. They seemed so slow chasing Mahomes all game and would get desperate and wouldn't hold the edges allowing Mahomes to get out of the pocket. But with White returning next season and with this offense? The future is obviously very bright. Just get more athleticism at the DL and this team can go all the way.

Good season Bills fans!

The day after, all I can say is that I am numb. I am mad at myself for getting my hopes up. I am not mad at any of decisions made, hindsight is 20/20.

Squib it, sure, but with Tyreek burning our punt coverage team, I would probably kick it through the endzone not risking a return.

Bigger concern is giving up too many yards when you know they have 2, maybe 3 plays tops.

I do think our pass rush needs an upgrade, though I don't know if we will ever spend money on the position with the amount of rotation we have. Do we rotate because we don't have a dominant pass rusher, or is that just how McDermott likes to treat the position?

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Getting Fangio would be great but you guys need to get more explosive pass rushers. They seemed so slow chasing Mahomes all game and would get desperate and wouldn't hold the edges allowing Mahomes to get out of the pocket. But with White returning next season and with this offense? The future is obviously very bright. Just get more athleticism at the DL and this team can go all the way.

Good season Bills fans!

This will be the 3rd offseason in a row the Bills need to fix their DL. First they lost/let leave Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson and replaced them with Addison, Epenesa and Butler. Then last year they spent a first and 2nd round pick on DE.

Ed Oliver is the only DL that is making enough of a difference and if he had help beside him he’d be even more dominant. Bills likely cutting ties with Addison, Hughes and Star this off season. Another DL rebuild. 

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

This will be the 3rd offseason in a row the Bills need to fix their DL. First they lost/let leave Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson and replaced them with Addison, Epenesa and Butler. Then last year they spent a first and 2nd round pick on DE.

Ed Oliver is the only DL that is making enough of a difference and if he had help beside him he’d be even more dominant. Bills likely cutting ties with Addison, Hughes and Star this off season. Another DL rebuild. 

If you guys had a Dee Ford type of speed rusher, this defense would be so filthy. But that's why regardless of the numbers, I knew there were certain weaknesses on this defense that would come back to haunt you guys in the playoffs. You just can't have THIS type of DL and expect to stop the top offenses in the playoffs. The Packers are going to likely release both Preston Smith and Za'darius Smith. I don't know your cap situation, but the Bills need to be all over that. Oliver is a beast but he can't be a one man show against Mahomes. The Niners in 2019 had a ferocious pass rush and for at least 3.5 quarters, it gave Mahomes HELL. Eventually his greatness overcame that but you just need to be able to get after him consistently only rushing four. It was frustrating because there were a lot of sound calls made defensively but the damn DL just couldn't get to Mahomes and kept allowing him to get out of the pocket. I kept screaming to keep him in there and don't even try to get home, just hold the edges and make him throw from inside the pocket.

Oh well, that was still a fantastic game and your squad will continue playing in big games for years to come. Again, congrats on a good season! 

Sorry guys, I really wanted to see you play the Bengals in the AFCCG. The last 14 seconds of regulation are just inexcusable. If they just squib and/or not play prevent defense then they're moving onto the next round. It's like McDermott forgot KC still had timeouts.

Edited by Art_Vandalay

Condolences my Friends......

As a Browns fan, this one must sting like the Drive, The Fumble and Red Right 88.....

I've always had a blast when going to games in Buffalo (the Stadium I have been to the most actually at 4 games there). Unless were playing, I always have a soft place in my heart for the Bills, Buffalo Wings, Loganberry and Fish Fry Friday's!!!

I got off here for a day to let everything digest.

Last night was insane and the best QB battle I've ever seen.

This was the first game I noticed the absence of Tre'Davious White. I feel he could've made a big impact defensively.  I cant fault the pass rush last night, we were getting there all 1st half but came up inches away on a couple sacks. We have too much draft equity tied up in Epenesa, Rousseau and Basham to invest at edge position. Ed Oliver played at a elite level the last 8 games of the year to splurge at the position

Tremaine Edmunds had a bad game last night and looked out of position all night 

Jordan Poyer had a bad game, took some bad angles to the ball carrier and missed some key tackles but had his best season of his career.

We definitely need to add a CB early in the draft. With Singletary emerging and the OL playing better the last month of the year, CB is now high on my draft board.

Josh Allen just had his 2 best games of his career. Hes a ******* stud and worth every penny of his extension.

I'm disappointed but this is gonna make us better. As ****ed as it sounds this team hasnt peaked yet