Panthers hire Ben McAdoo as OC

RaidersAreOne

19 minutes ago, Danger said:

Admittedly I haven't followed Carolina too closely over the past couple years, whats the issue with Rhule? Spare me the witty 1 liners though. 

Rhule is in charge of roster decisions.  By and large he is the one who has the largest voice in the room.  Tepper has been a pretty hands-off owner so far.  He has high expectations, or at least that is what we think, and he'll almost certainly spend whatever it takes to get whomever he wants, but he won't force a decision on Rhule.  Rhule's been able to pick his players and staff since Day 1.  

That out of the way.  Start at the QB position.  We made the decision to release Cam Newton.  Okay, fair, Newton was injury prone and washed.  That by itself isn't the worst decision in the world.  However, he followed that up by signing Teddy Bridgewater.  Why?  Panthers were in no position to compete in 2020 and should have stuck with Kyle Allen and/or Cam Newton, both of whom were under contract, and tanked.  We spent a lot of money on a guy who was clearly average at best, when we had guys on the roster.  

But okay, we already made that mistake.  Stick with it, right?  Nope.  We let go of Bridgewater and take the dead cap.  Rhule didn't help matters by almost openly throwing him under the bus.  We then trade picks for Darnold and you know how that plays out.  Honestly the trade for Darnold isn't the worst decision in isolation, but picking up his 5th year option on top of that?  Terrible decision.  So now we are in Year 3 and the QB position is somehow 10x worse than it was when Rhule got here despite the fact we've committed a lot of money and draft capital to it.  On top of that, somehow Sam Darnold gets even worse here than he was in New York!

Some of his other roster decisions are bonkers too.  PJ Walker as the back-up 2 years in a row, and likely will be it again next year?  Signing Pat Eflein and Cameron Erving to multi-year deals with the intention of starting both of them.  Giving Robby Anderson an extension when it made all the sense in the world to let him walk.  Trying Jeremy Chinn's role in the defense in Year 2.  

But even worse than his roster decisions, is the staff he brought to Carolina.  I understand that you want to have people you trust around you on your staff, but Rhule's lack of NFL experience is glaring when you look at the staff he built.  I know Joe Brady has his fans, and I'm sure with more time he will be a good OC, but he lacked so much experience and it didn't help that he was working under a HC who also lacked pro experience.  The staff is littered with Temple and Baylor guys, to the point where it is obvious that they aren't necessarily the most qualified people for the job.  

Also I don't care about what coaches say in press conferences and it isn't a big deal, but Rhule has a tendency to throw players under the bus.  He's done it with all 3 QBs (Teddy, Cam, Darnold).  So it is easy for Panthers fans to hate him (and trust me... Panthers fans DESPISE this man like I've never seen before) because he doesn't make himself likable.  

I don't think he's the worst head coach in the world.  And I do like how aggressive he is.  I appreciate that we are willing to make moves and I've liked our last 2 drafts.  I also understand bringing him back another year.  We're not an attractive job right now, if we fired him.

But I can't see him turning it around here.  I don't think Rhule knows how to turn it around and I genuinely think he's overwhelmed by it all.  The only way he's saving his season in 2022 is with a big time trade for a QB. 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I stood up for Daboll when the Bills hired him after being seen as a retread failed OC…..but yeah I’m going to be hypocritical and say this is laughably bad by Rhule. 

I want to give McAdoo a chance... but his QB will likely be Sam Darnold.  So how much of a chance does he really have

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Please... PLEASE trade for Deshaun Watson.

With Rhule at HC and McAdoo at OC, those FRPs gonna be in the 5-7 range. 

CMC would stay healthy, Gilmore would be retained, Rhule would overachieve, McAdoo would remind the league that he was once not a meme, Burns would win DPOY, Chinn would be an All-Pro, Horn/Henderson would develop, and finally, most of all, Deshaun would (somehow) escape all consequences and ball his way to SB MVP.

Because Texans.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Rhule is in charge of roster decisions.  By and large he is the one who has the largest voice in the room.  Tepper has been a pretty hands-off owner so far.  He has high expectations, or at least that is what we think, and he'll almost certainly spend whatever it takes to get whomever he wants, but he won't force a decision on Rhule.  Rhule's been able to pick his players and staff since Day 1. 

So, I have to say, I think this is a lazy take. To quote Rhule himself when Fitterer was hired;

“I think in terms of on the contract, a lot of those things probably rest with me,” Rhule said, via Darin Gantt of the team’s website. “But that’s not something I’m real interested in. I told you guys from the very beginning . . . I think it’s kind of a formality. Scott’s here to run the personnel. He’s here to build the roster. He’s here to establish the draft process. I think some things are written into the contract, but I think we’re going to work collaboratively and work together.”

Some of his other roster decisions are bonkers too.  PJ Walker as the back-up 2 years in a row, and likely will be it again next year?  Signing Pat Eflein and Cameron Erving to multi-year deals with the intention of starting both of them.  Giving Robby Anderson an extension when it made all the sense in the world to let him walk.  Trying Jeremy Chinn's role in the defense in Year 2.  

This is where I bitterly disagree. I thought Fitterer was a trashcan hire when we made it, and it's aged like milk. Elflein and Erving are prototype Seattle guys. HWS/RAS athletes that actually aren't good at football. Fitterer himself said the plan was to walk into the draft with no holes in the roster, and he felt they accomplished that. To say this is all Rhule is absurd. The difference in the offseasons tells the story. Under Hurney, we trade for the aging but reliable vet at LT in Okung. We mostly sit still on draft day. We keep our signings on the cheaper side.

Fitterer comes in, we sign Erving and pretend he has any business playing LT, pass on a franchise LT for a corner, pass on a franchise Center (currently the PFF top rated center in the league) for a guy who is apparently on the set for The Invisible Man 2 in Terrace Marshall Jr., and then take Brady Christensen and just kind of pray he doesn't suck when he gets forced into playing LT. We sign boatloads of expensive FAs (and restructure contracts terribly. Adding auto-void dummy years to Reddick and Paradis' deals is hitting us for over 13m this year) and throw around picks like idiots without actually accruing much value, particularly in respect to futures.

As a Panther fan, I have never been as deeply concerned with where our franchise is headed right now. I don't think Rhule is great, but my last hope is he and Fitterer are ousted together. Letting "Mr. Analytics" hire our next head coach, to me, represents Cleveland circa Sashi Brown levels of inept disaster.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't know why I find this hilarious. Like, "I didn't think you were as good as other candidates for an inferior role on the team the last couple of yers, but sure, why not come and run the offense now" 

If that's not an indictment of the people were willing to take on this role, I don't know what is. 

People know that's a temp, 1 year gig. 

I mean, yeah, it's not a good look. On the other hand, it's also possible that McAdoo is a better fit at OC than QB Coach. Who knows. But with Sam Darnold, I don't like Carolina's chances. To be fair to McAdoo, he did do a good job as the Giants' OC. Eli had the two best years of his career.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I mean, yeah, it's not a good look. On the other hand, it's also possible that McAdoo is a better fit at OC than QB Coach. Who knows. But with Sam Darnold, I don't like Carolina's chances. To be fair to McAdoo, he did do a good job as the Giants' OC. Eli had the two best years of his career.

I can't believe that they are going to go into next year with Sam Darnold as their starter lol. I imagine that they are going to do something else, but holy hell it will be funny if that's the direction they go. 

I can't believe how bad that entire thing backfired on them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I can't believe that they are going to go into next year with Sam Darnold as their starter lol. I imagine that they are going to do something else, but holy hell it will be funny if that's the direction they go. 

I can't believe how bad that entire thing backfired on them. 

They have to do something that isn't Darnold. Considering their complete lack of draft capital, they should probably just trade down, pick up Day 2 picks, and shoot their shot on a guy like Matt Corral or Sam Howell in the 16 to 30 range.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

CMC would stay healthy, Gilmore would be retained, Rhule would overachieve, McAdoo would remind the league that he was once not a meme, Burns would win DPOY, Chinn would be an All-Pro, Horn/Henderson would develop, and finally, most of all, Deshaun would (somehow) escape all consequences and ball his way to SB MVP.

Because Texans.

This sadly checks out. It would somehow turn out to the first ever FRP that was pick 100.

Because Texans.