Panthers hire Ben McAdoo as OC

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, Cypher said:

So, I have to say, I think this is a lazy take. To quote Rhule himself when Fitterer was hired;

“I think in terms of on the contract, a lot of those things probably rest with me,” Rhule said, via Darin Gantt of the team’s website. “But that’s not something I’m real interested in. I told you guys from the very beginning . . . I think it’s kind of a formality. Scott’s here to run the personnel. He’s here to build the roster. He’s here to establish the draft process. I think some things are written into the contract, but I think we’re going to work collaboratively and work together.”

This is where I bitterly disagree. I thought Fitterer was a trashcan hire when we made it, and it's aged like milk. Elflein and Erving are prototype Seattle guys. HWS/RAS athletes that actually aren't good at football. Fitterer himself said the plan was to walk into the draft with no holes in the roster, and he felt they accomplished that. To say this is all Rhule is absurd. The difference in the offseasons tells the story. Under Hurney, we trade for the aging but reliable vet at LT in Okung. We mostly sit still on draft day. We keep our signings on the cheaper side.

Fitterer comes in, we sign Erving and pretend he has any business playing LT, pass on a franchise LT for a corner, pass on a franchise Center (currently the PFF top rated center in the league) for a guy who is apparently on the set for The Invisible Man 2 in Terrace Marshall Jr., and then take Brady Christensen and just kind of pray he doesn't suck when he gets forced into playing LT. We sign boatloads of expensive FAs (and restructure contracts terribly. Adding auto-void dummy years to Reddick and Paradis' deals is hitting us for over 13m this year) and throw around picks like idiots without actually accruing much value, particularly in respect to futures.

As a Panther fan, I have never been as deeply concerned with where our franchise is headed right now. I don't think Rhule is great, but my last hope is he and Fitterer are ousted together. Letting "Mr. Analytics" hire our next head coach, to me, represents Cleveland circa Sashi Brown levels of inept disaster.

Maybe I'm misreading this because it's late, but it seems like you're saying @iknowcool is very, VERY wrong...and then countering it by agreeing with him?

45 minutes ago, EvilenFroggen said:

Maybe I'm misreading this because it's late, but it seems like you're saying @iknowcool is very, VERY wrong...and then countering it by agreeing with him?

Unless I misread what he said, it seemed to me he shares a common sentiment with Panther fans that "it's all Rhule's fault", which I just don't buy.

On 1/22/2022 at 1:24 AM, Cypher said:

Unless I misread what he said, it seemed to me he shares a common sentiment with Panther fans that "it's all Rhule's fault", which I just don't buy.

I said I don't think Rhule is the worst head coach, that I understand bringing him back, and that there are some things I like.  I don't think Rhule can rebuild this team, but I think he could coach a team in a better spot.  I'm not saying he's the root of all of our problems, but this team is in a far worse spot in 2022 than they were in 2020 when he took over.  And Rhule is the common denominator between both seasons... so it stands to reason he absolutely deserves the most blame for it all.  All the blame?  Maybe, maybe not, but definitely the largest share.

Even if we pin the Darnold trade on Fitterer... Darnold still regressed here compared to his time in New York.  That falls on coaching.  The defense, despite having strong talent at every level of the defense, finished 21st in scoring and had numerous clunkers almost anytime they went against a semi-decent offense (TB 2x, Bills, Dallas, Cowboys).  In the grand scheme of things we really didn't have a difficult schedule, and yet finished 4th in the division and went 5-12 a season after going 5-11.  The poor coaching assistants and coordinators are all Rhule decisions.  PJ Walker is almost certainly a Rhule guy.  Why is he the back-up for 2 years, likely 3 years running? 

Sure Fitterer likely has some input too.  And I'm not saying he's a great GM or that if we fire Rhule everything will be okay.  But there are plenty of things that point to him having the biggest sway in the room (and how could he not?  Look at what he's being paid... and he even says in his contract that a lot of things fall on him). 

then take Brady Christensen and just kind of pray he doesn't suck when he gets forced into playing LT.

This is a weird take in the context of your post, as if you are suggesting he was a bad pick.  Christensen played well at LT this year, when given the opportunity, certainly better than any other player we threw at tackle.

It was Rhule who refused to commit to him there for most of the season.