NFC Championship Game GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

16 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

PFF gave Tartt his second lowest grade of the season at 41.9. The only other time was at Jacksonville at 33.1. Definitely a day to forget whether one buys into their evaluation or not. 

I like PFF as one plot point in looking at players, more so in the draft.. but they are guessing on players responsibilities and love to talk about what might have happened instead of what actually did happen. "Turnover worthy plays" and the like. I don't put a whole lot of stock in what they say

Edited by adamq
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Trent basically credited Mike McDaniel for thinking about getting him in motion. I'm pretty sure McDaniel came up with the inside tosses as well. I have no idea what kind of head coach he will be, but no doubt he was very innovative with the run game. Will be interesting what Shanny does without his right hand man for over 10 years. 

I don't know that inside tosses were that original. Greg Roman called those in 2011 with Frank. I remember just being blown away by those plays back then. That's the thing with Roman, he has always been very creative in the run game. But very very bland in the pass game. What could set McDaniel apart is being a good designer of the passing game, which is kinda hard to assume. We really don't know, since all the workload is shared by the staff. 

So far, one of the pillars of Kyle's head coaching style has been is openness to other people's ideas (from what I gathered over the years, reading articles, and such). So, losing Lafleur and McDaniel in successive year does hurt, from a standpoint of comfort and experience. But having other voices having an increased impact can be a great thing. Especially since the old stuff Shanahan, Lafleur and McDaniel created doesn't suddenly stop to exist. I think this is why it's best to have an offensive-minded head coach. You want the HC to have a continuity in play calling, while adding new wrinkles. Whereas, with a defensive-minded coach, you lose that with every new OC. On defensive, continuity is not the best thing, because other teams will attack your tendencies. Defense is much more reactive. So having new coaches with new tendencies is good. 

38 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

For the first three quarters, the Rams got pressure on 4 of 22 drop backs according to Jeff Deeney. So they are were playing heavy in the box, single high and we couldn't take advantage in three quarters of reasonably good protection. That's how you lose games. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

For the first three quarters, the Rams got pressure on 4 of 22 drop backs according to Jeff Deeney. So they are were playing heavy in the box, single high and we couldn't take advantage in three quarters of reasonably good protection. That's how you lose games. 

And honestly I'm kind of surprised none of the offensive staff didn't expect as much. I mean you had to expect there were going to switch up something or add a new wrinkle or three. There should have been an adjustment somewhere. But even with that said, our opportunities were there...we just couldn't execute in critical moments like we had been accustomed to previously.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Forge said:

We honestly didn't have much problem moving the ball on them through three quarters. In fact, we were averaging over 7 YPP for a large portion of the game. The issue was the missed throw to Kittle on the first possession and then Gaines knocking the ball down on 3rd down right after halftime. Good chance we put up 24 points on them through three quarters and that's very good. This is why I think one regret has to be not throwing it more on early downs. We kept trying to run against stacked boxes and would be put in 2nd and long situations. Shanny then adjusted to give Deebo the early down carries and he did better but the pass was the way to go. 

• Like 2

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

We honestly didn't have much problem moving the ball on them through three quarters. In fact, we were averaging over 7 YPP for a large portion of the game. The issue was the missed throw to Kittle on the first possession and then Gaines knocking the ball down on 3rd down right after halftime. Good chance we put up 24 points on them through three quarters and that's very good. This is why I think one regret has to be not throwing it more on early downs. We kept trying to run against stacked boxes and would be put in 2nd and long situations. Shanny then adjusted to give Deebo the early down carries and he did better but the pass was the way to go. 

This was a well earned loss across the board for the team, tbh. I thought everyone was pretty complicit. It happens. 15 straight weeks of games, you're bound to get some stinkers. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah that Kittle missed stunk. That one sets the tone for us and who knows what happens as the game goes on. oh well. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

This was a well earned loss across the board for the team, tbh. I thought everyone was pretty complicit. It happens. 15 straight weeks of games, you're bound to get some stinkers. 

Honestly, it was an intense and physical game where both coaches had some suspect decisions and both teams had some missed opportunities. When you have two evenly matched teams, this is how it goes sometimes. Just came down to making a play or two more and we couldn't do it as Ward said after the game. 

• Like 2

Not that Donald didn't make any plays on Sunday because he did, especially on the last drive...But we really held that man to without a sack in three games and he only had I think three or four total QB hits. If Banks replaces Brunskill next season, there is no way in hell he will be able to replicate that lol.

• Like 2

We were pretty beat up before this game. 7 out of our last 9 games on the road took its toll. I knew this already, but I just remembered that this was the first year with 17 games and I realize now that the extra game plus the early bye really hurt us. 

Not sure if things would have been different, but it is not like we needed that extra game to get into the playoffs. We would have made it if we never played the Bengals. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, N4L said:

We were pretty beat up before this game. 7 out of our last 9 games on the road took its toll. I knew this already, but I just remembered that this was the first year with 17 games and I realize now that the extra game plus the early bye really hurt us. 

Not sure if things would have been different, but it is not like we needed that extra game to get into the playoffs. We would have made it if we never played the Bengals. 

Frustrating to know that we were 3-0 against the two teams that will be playing in two weeks during the regular season.

Edited by jonnguy2015
  • Like 1

Nice thread but honestly you can say every week that Aiyuk should have had a much bigger game lol. The man is just always open and makes plays in close quarters so it doesn't make much sense why Jimmy looks him off so much. Oh well, hope Trey gives Aiyuk plenty of chances to make big plays next season. 

• Like 4