How much of Brady’s career can you remove and him still be the GOAT?

paul-mac

I was thinking about this yesterday. Something we’ve talked about a few times is that Brady arguably has 2 or even 3 completely separate sections of his career that are all hall of fame worthy in their own right.

On a similar note, I’ve been thinking that if you just ignore the first decade of Brady’s career and consider 2010-present, he has won 4 superbowls with 2 different teams, lost another 2, made the playoffs every single year and the conference championship every year except 2010, 2019 and 2021. He’s been the MVP twice, OPOY once, led the NFL in passing touchdowns three times, yards twice and passer rating once.

Can we see this half-career alone would make him the GOAT?

If so, he’s still the GOAT despite us removing 3 more superbowl wins and 1 loss and an MVP title. That alone would be a HOF career and top 5-10 all time.

Crazy. 

I mean the simple answer is those first years where he was good but not overly special along with the 3 rings. They ight add to his legacy but he isn't GOAT based on those rings and the first 5 years or so of his career. Could you remove more? Maybe. But I'm already removing 3 rings. I think you'd need to keep 2007, but could be persuaded otherwise

• Like 2

2014 on he is still the GoaT

4 SB wins, 5 SBs, 17-4 in the playoffs with 43 TDs to 17 picks (still #1 in SBs, SB appearances, and playoff wins)

• 10 point comeback in the 4th on the LoB
  • 28-3
  • 500 yard playoff game
  • 125 rated Super Bowl win in a blowout

7 playoff GWD (still the record)

5-1 in Conference Championship games

11 games of 100+ rating in the playoffs.

95-30 regular season record 100.2 rating

Average season of 4400 yards 33.1 TDs 8.6 picks.

All of this in 8 years!!!

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 4

Brady just being a game manager during his first three Super Bowl wins is a myth. Maybe for the first one since it was only his 17th start, but he led the league in touchdown passes in 2002 and teams were starting to fear him by 2003. In Super Bowl 38, the game where I personally think the Tom Brady as we know him was truly born, there were Panthers players on the sideline that said "it's not over yet...not with that dude at QB."

Brady became a Hall of Famer as soon as he won his third Super Bowl. He became the greatest QB when he won his fourth. He became the greatest player in football history when he won his fifth. He joined Jordan/Gretzky/Ruth for the sports Mt. Rushmore afterwards.

Anyone who does not think he's the GOAT at this point is a ******* fool.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Brady just being a game manager during his first three Super Bowl wins is a myth. Maybe for the first one since it was only his 17th start, but he led the league in touchdown passes in 2002 and teams were truly starting to fear him by 2003. In Super Bowl 38, the game where I personally think the Tom Brady as we know him was truly born, there were Panthers players on the sideline that said "it's not over...not with that dude at QB."

Brady became a Hall of Famer as soon as he won his third Super Bowl. He became the greatest QB when he won his fourth. He became the greatest player in football history when he won his fifth. He joined Jordan/Gretzky/Ruth for the sports Mt. Rushmore afterwards.

Only 3 all pros. Don't mistake team success for individual excellence. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Only 3 all pros. Don't mistake team success for individual excellence. 

Why does this **** ONLY apply to Brady but NO one else? Whenever Peyton won he got all the credit, but when he lost it was everyone else's fault?

Brady in 2001 inherited an 0-2 team that went 5-11 the year prior. They weren't exactly world beaters primed for a Super Bowl run.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, biggie. said:

Brady just being a game manager during his first three Super Bowl wins is a myth. Maybe for the first one since it was only his 17th start, but he led the league in touchdown passes in 2002 and teams were truly starting to fear him by 2003. In Super Bowl 38, the game where I personally think the Tom Brady as we know him was truly born, there were Panthers players on the sideline that said "it's not over...not with that dude at QB."

The Eagles destroyed Brady on the first 4 or 5 drives of that 2004 SB.

That Eagles D showed up like Carolina and Denver did in 2015

He found a way to make plays the rest of the day.

A WR does not win MVP unless the QB is getting him the ball.

The throw of the game was to Branch, past Dawkins, where there was about a football sized hole in the coverage and Brady got it through.

The Panthers on 'roids Super Bowl was a shootout.

His first SB was not statistically impressive but that last drive was up there with Elway.

Edited by SkippyX

Remove almost any consecutive 10 year period, he's still likely seen as the GOAT or at least in the conversation. 

You'd pretty much have to cherry pick away the Superbowl wins, appearances, and great statistical seasons to erode the whole legacy enough, given how spread out it is. 

And even then, his years where he doesn't rack up the accolades still keep him in near HoF territory. 

Edited by ronjon1990

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Why?

I just never really see him get a ton of credit for those rings/seasons he put together. They weren’t really what I would personally point to either when highlighting Brady’s greatness. Dude is the GOAT, can’t dispute it, but he’s a Hall of Fame player without even those accomplishments.