How much of Brady’s career can you remove and him still be the GOAT?

paul-mac

8 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I just never really see him get a ton of credit for those rings/seasons he put together. They weren’t really what I would personally point to either when highlighting Brady’s greatness. Dude is the GOAT, can’t dispute it, but he’s a Hall of Fame player without even those accomplishments. 

I don't think the proper balance is struck for those seasons. Was he the world beater he became? No. He was still top 5 IMO. Very few guys in the league at that time I would take over him. Favre, Peyton.... thats it. You could argue Palmer, McNabb, Culpepper, and Trent Green but you'd be splitting hairs. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

I don't think the proper balance is struck for those seasons. Was he the world beater he became? No. He was still top 5 IMO. Very few guys in the league at that time I would take over him. Favre, Peyton.... thats it. You could argue Palmer, McNabb, Culpepper, and Trent Green but you'd be splitting hairs. 

He’s was one of many at that point. It got to the point though where he was one of one. The gap between him and everyone else was just immense. I say this as a Jets fan btw, I’ve never seen anything better. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, biggie. said:

Why does this **** ONLY apply to Brady but NO one else? Whenever Peyton won he got all the credit, but when he lost it was everyone else's fault?

Brady in 2001 inherited an 0-2 team that went 5-11 the year prior. They weren't exactly world beaters primed for a Super Bowl run.

Peyton Manning is widely regarding as the greatest postseason choker in the history of the NFL. 

7 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

He’s was one of many at that point. It got to the point though where he was one of one. The gap between him and everyone else was just immense. I say this as a Jets fan btw, I’ve never seen anything better. 

Full stop if he's not there they don't win that game vs the Panthers. He also was immensly important in 04 and clutch when he needed to be in 01. Honestly 18 is the one SB he probably should get the least credit for.

Anyways Brady was considered the GOAT after beating Seattle in 2014. There were some people who still debated Montana, but he was largely the GOAT by that point. You could remove SB 51, the 2017 MVP, the steller 2015 and 2016 season, SB 53, SB55, and this MVP caliber league leading in yards and TD's year and he's still the GOAT which is pretty impressive. Also retroactively you could probably go in reverse and go from this year to the 2014 season and remove most everything before it (though he'd be lacking in MVP's with only one) and still largely be considered the GOAT. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Three, I’d argue.

2001-2009 = HOF career 

2010-2015 = HOF career

2016-present = HOF career 

You can break it down a bit more evenly. 

2001-2007: 3rings, a first team and second team All Pro, MVP with the 16-0 season, breaking single season touchdown record and the first to get to 50

2008-2014: First ever unanimous MVP, two appearances, a SB win, comeback player of the year, and broke the record for consecutive passes without an INT. 

2015-present: 3 SB wins, 4 appearances, an MVP, 3 other MVP caliber seasons, broke the single season TD:INT ratio 

The weakest is that middle portion and it’s still a better HOF case than Wilson who has a real shot. 

An alternate take: 

If you remove 2007 from Brady's career, I'd say he wouldn't be considered GOAT any more. In order to be a true GOAT you need to have a peak that is unmatched. But, given Brady's paltry 3 All Pros over his entire career, it is evident he never consistently outperformed his peers. The 2007 season is a true outlier. 

Now, the degree to which Randy Moss carried Brady to his one truly dominant year can be debated. But you can certainly see Moss's outsized effects he has had on other QBs such as Cunningham and Culpepper. 

16 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

An alternate take: 

If you remove 2007 from Brady's career, I'd say he wouldn't be considered GOAT any more. In order to be a true GOAT you need to have a peak that is unmatched. But, given Brady's paltry 3 All Pros over his entire career, it is evident he never consistently outperformed his peers. The 2007 season is a true outlier. 

Now, the degree to which Randy Moss carried Brady to his one truly dominant year can be debated. But you can certainly see Moss's outsized effects he has had on other QBs such as Cunningham and Culpepper. 

Respectfully, wtf are you talking about? No player has led the league in TD passes more times than Tom Brady. 

You take away that '07 season, he still has more TD passes, playoff wins and rings than anyone else in league history, by a huge margin. The suggestion that '07 is what put him over the top is asinine.

Edited by Apparition