Random Thoughts - 2022 Jan - to the Draft

dll2000

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

No way... this guy is a worse and more toxic version of Brandon Marshall (who only behaved himself in Chicago to keep Cutler happy). I don't want the Bears to touch him with a 100 yard pole.

For a late round pick with no guaranteed money left on his deal… why not.

We are desperate. Take some risk.

18 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

What has Toney done to make NYG want to move on so soon?

He is apparently kind of nuts. Was hard to work with last year. Immature, hurt and out of shape early in the year, was ejected for punching a Cowboys player. No showed Mini camp with the new regime.

On 4/22/2022 at 8:20 PM, WindyCity said:

Agree. Even if only swapping picks so we move down in a late round it is worth taking a flier. 

On 4/22/2022 at 8:20 PM, WindyCity said:

His signing bonus would stay with the Giants’ cap but his base salaries would all still be fully guaranteed. His cap hits to us would be:

2022: $1.28M

2023: $1.9M

2024: $2.5M

2025: 5th year option

I’m all for trading for him too for a late rounder. Tons of talent there. 

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

His signing bonus would stay with the Giants’ cap but his base salaries would all still be fully guaranteed. His cap hits to us would be:

2022: $1.28M

2023: $1.9M

2024: $2.5M

2025: 5th year option

I’m all for trading for him too for a late rounder. Tons of talent there. 

Sorry, that’s what I meant. A majority of the money stays with the giants.

We would have him at 3 years 6.5 million.

To me that is worth the risk.

On 4/22/2022 at 10:04 PM, WindyCity said:

He is apparently kind of nuts. Was hard to work with last year. Immature, hurt and out of shape early in the year, was ejected for punching a Cowboys player. No showed Mini camp with the new regime.

Sign me up

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Sorry, that’s what I meant. A majority of the money stays with the giants.

We would have him at 3 years 6.5 million.

To me that is worth the risk.

I agree. There’s no question Toney has explosive talent. 

When you get fired for failing with Fields but are still that effusive in your praise of him I tend to want to give that some value.

Nagy may not have known how best to use Fields (like, at all) but he had every reason here to be honest if he didn’t think Fields was gonna be a dude, and he went the polar opposite direction. Noted. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

When you get fired for failing with Fields but are still that effusive in your praise of him I tend to want to give that some value.

Nagy may not have known how best to use Fields (like, at all) but he had every reason here to be honest if he didn’t think Fields was gonna be a dude, and he went the polar opposite direction. Noted. 

Which really makes it a shame that he seemed to do everything in his power to undermine him. Nagy is a perplexing creature.

• Like 1

Just now, Bigbear72 said:

Which really makes it a shame that he seemed to do everything in his power to undermine him. Nagy is a perplexing creature.

He really is. I always liked Nagy the guy too. Usually seemed pretty candid. Dealt with a lot of **** (much of which he brought on on his own) with a ton of class and grace. He handled the fans taunting his kid thing waaaaaaaaaay better than I would have for sure. 

I think he was so tied to his system that he just didn’t know what to do with Fields and so he was gonna gadget guy him until he could try to adjust his skill set to be more like what he knew in addition to the stuff he already was coming in. It was a bad plan and especially so for Fields’ development, but I think he just didn’t know what else to do. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think Nagy rated Fields highly from day one...but it is always tricky for a coach on the hot seat to start a rookie QB...Matt Rhule in Carolina is in the exact same situation this year heading into the draft where he probably wants a LT & Baker Mayfield & ownership may want a QB...

I think Nagy the man is a really good guy...2018 was a great year because he had Andy Reid's playback...come 2019 Nd on where he had to tweak and adjust the playback he just didn't have it in him and that is where the failure came from...every D caught up and at times seemed to know the 6 yard curl was coming haha...

I feel Fields will excel in this scheme much more and in year 2 having seen what the speed of the NFL is like will be far better prepared...the talent is clearly there in abundance...just about how quickly he can put it all together.

• Like 3