Random Thoughts - 2022 Jan - to the Draft

dll2000

33 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't think he really deserved to lose the Tampa job, though. They never gave him a real shot. And Illinois, well, things are a lot different running a college team, and the Big Ten is brutal. I'm not saying he was probably the Texans first choice, or anything, but it could turn out to be a good hire for them. 

Tampa/Lovie situation was and is extremely fascinating and I think we will see it repeated again in league.

Lovie does reverse Nagy.   He coaches defense and lets OC run offensive side of things.

Tampa drafted a QB no. 1 overall (Winston) and he had a promising rookie year.  When you draft a QB no. 1 overall all your eggs are in that basket for a time.

So Tampa was faced with losing basically everything all the work they had done for a full year with their biggest investment and staring over with a new scheme for their young QB.

They chose to bounce Lovie Smith instead and keep the OC and promote him to HC.     

In hindsight it didn't work out because both the OC and Winston weren't quite as advertised, but in the moment and in that situation it was probably the right call even if it was highly unfair to Lovie on paper.

Lets say in revisionist history in LA it was Jeff Fisher as HC and Sean McVay was his OC the year they drafted Goff.   Do you think LA lets McVay walk to another HCing gig the following year?  Or they promote McVay to HC and fire Fisher? 

I know they fired Fisher regardless, and actually hired McVay regardless IRL, but you get my point.   It could happen.  

Let's say by some strange occurrence or miracle Getsy and Fields light the league on fire just like KC and Mahomes did in his first year starting. 

I don't think in that universe Bears fire Eberflus and promote Getsy, because Bears don't fire coaches after one year. 

However,  I think Getsy would become an instant HC candidate and I think there would be a lot of fan talk to do just that and not lose him.

Odds of that happening are extremely slim to non-existent though.  We would have to draft a Tyreek or Randy Moss caliber player in 5th round or something along with make every correct FA signing to fix or patch O line and defense.  

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't think he really deserved to lose the Tampa job, though. They never gave him a real shot. And Illinois, well, things are a lot different running a college team, and the Big Ten is brutal. I'm not saying he was probably the Texans first choice, or anything, but it could turn out to be a good hire for them. 

I think he will get the John Fox role. He will be the stabilizing factor for the franchise after their debacle-filled few years. After things are other out and they are a better landing spot for a tip prospective HC they will dump him and make their move. 

Lovie at least is man enough to not just collect a paycheck though, he will keep fighting and keep his guys fighting. I wish him well. If Watson is going to stay then Lovie will be a good person for him too. I hope Lovie does well (when not playing vs Chicago. Lol).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

If Watson is going to stay then Lovie will be a good person for him too. 

Forgot to comment on this.

Is there ANYTHING going on with all of Watson's legal troubles? I haven't heard a peep about them in some time...

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Is there ANYTHING going on with all of Watson's legal troubles? I haven't heard a peep about them in some time...

Those gears grind slowly.    Watson isn't under a ton of pressure to settle yet because he still being paid by Texans and his lawyers are probably looking for dirt on these gals.   

Its just filing motions and waiting for court dates which are usually months apart.  

His accusers are willing to wait.   They don't mind at all if nothing happens for a long time.   Time favors them.  Goodell has not done anything to Watson thus far, because no evidence has been presented by anyone yet to my knowledge. 

But accusers know Watson likely has to resolve the case ns some sense before he can play again.

NFL policy is as follows:

Violations involving assault,
battery, domestic violence or sexual assault will result in a baseline
six-game suspension without pay, with more if aggravating factors
are present, such as the use of a weapon or a crime against a child.
A second offense will result in banishment from the NFL.

https://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/NFL_domestic_violence_policy.pdf

Everyone assumes it will be X number of games based on similar offenses.  

Winston got 3 games for groping an Uber driver.   Elliott got 6 games for domestic assault.  A. Brown got 8 games for threatening a woman accusing him of sexual misconduct.  

But those are all for one incident.   This is same alleged incident repeated many, many times.  So how does Goodell address that?  Is it going to be treated as one thing or multiple offenses each deserving of its own punishment?  Are some of 6 game variety and some just 1 or 3?   What about whole package together? 

Depending on how it is viewed this could be just 6-8 games, a season or straight to a lifetime ban.   Remember the NFL policy is "a second offense will result in banishment from the NFL."   Their might be several instances that qualify.    

Is what Watson did sexual assault?  Are any of them?  

It appears the MO was book a professional massage based off a hot instagram picture and then in midst of massage aggressively proposition  masseuse for sex based on his fame and see what happens.

A foolproof plan right?  What could go wrong?  If they so no, he still gets a massage.  If they say yes, he gets a bonus.    What an idiot.  

Did the girls feel like they could say no?  Were they intimated physically or scared?  Maybe in some cases he did and others he did not.   Maybe some of the girls were down as soon as they knew it was him and willing.   But if they are suing that isn't going to be their story.     

These are questions for judge and/or jury and also Goodell.  

Nobody knows what answers will be and that is why a team would be insane to sign or trade for him at moment.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

This is from 4 days ago

https://www.espn.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/26248/what-does-latest-ruling-in-deshaun-watson-civil-cases-mean-for-him-houston-texans?platform=amp

• Like 2

On 2/25/2022 at 5:16 PM, dll2000 said:

Those gears grind slowly.    Watson isn't under a ton of pressure to settle yet because he still being paid by Texans and his lawyers are probably looking for dirt on these gals.   

Its just filing motions and waiting for court dates which are usually months apart.  

His accusers are willing to wait.   They don't mind at all if nothing happens for a long time.   Time favors them.  Goodell has not done anything to Watson thus far, because no evidence has been presented by anyone yet to my knowledge. 

But accusers know Watson likely has to resolve the case ns some sense before he can play again.

NFL policy is as follows:

Violations involving assault,
battery, domestic violence or sexual assault will result in a baseline
six-game suspension without pay, with more if aggravating factors
are present, such as the use of a weapon or a crime against a child.
A second offense will result in banishment from the NFL.

https://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/NFL_domestic_violence_policy.pdf

Everyone assumes it will be X number of games based on similar offenses.  

Winston got 3 games for groping an Uber driver.   Elliott got 6 games for domestic assault.  A. Brown got 8 games for threatening a woman accusing him of sexual misconduct.  

But those are all for one incident.   This is same alleged incident repeated many, many times.  So how does Goodell address that?  Is it going to be treated as one thing or multiple offenses each deserving of its own punishment?  Are some of 6 game variety and some just 1 or 3?   What about whole package together? 

Depending on how it is viewed this could be just 6-8 games, a season or straight to a lifetime ban.   Remember the NFL policy is "a second offense will result in banishment from the NFL."   Their might be several instances that qualify.    

Is what Watson did sexual assault?  Are any of them?  

It appears the MO was book a professional massage based off a hot instagram picture and then in midst of massage aggressively proposition  masseuse for sex based on his fame and see what happens.

A foolproof plan right?  What could go wrong?  If they so no, he still gets a massage.  If they say yes, he gets a bonus.    What an idiot.  

Did the girls feel like they could say no?  Were they intimated physically or scared?  Maybe in some cases he did and others he did not.   Maybe some of the girls were down as soon as they knew it was him and willing.   But if they are suing that isn't going to be their story.     

These are questions for judge and/or jury and also Goodell.  

Nobody knows what answers will be and that is why a team would be insane to sign or trade for him at moment.

Maybe @CBears019 can add something here, but it is pretty well known that a masseuse who advertisers almost exclusively on Instagram is likely a prostitute.  My gut says to me that was probably what Watson thought he was doing.  To my knowledge there have been no complaints of the girls being forced, and the criminal complaints revolve around the girls feeling intimidated.  At least 1 girl is in fact a former girlfriend who jumped in well after the fact and claimed Watson had assaulted her during their relationship, and Watson was able to produce texts from her propositions him after the relationship had ended as well as texts where she threatened to ruin his reputation.  

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Maybe @CBears019 can add something here, but it is pretty well known that a masseuse who advertisers almost exclusively on Instagram is likely a prostitute.  My gut says to me that was probably what Watson thought he was doing.  To my knowledge there have been no complaints of the girls being forced, and the criminal complaints revolve around the girls feeling intimidated.  At least 1 girl is in fact a former girlfriend who jumped in well after the fact and claimed Watson had assaulted her during their relationship, and Watson was able to produce texts from her propositions him after the relationship had ended as well as texts where she threatened to ruin his reputation.  

1) The girls are going to deny that even if true as it destroys their civil and criminal cases.
2) It may be true of some and not others.

3) In either event it will have to be proven to some extent or in alternative settled.
4) Obviously, there have been massage parlor/whore houses forever.  Everyone knows that.   So that may be a defense to sexual assault or harassment, but to date he has not tried to use that.

But, I am also thinking soliciting prostitutes violates NFL conduct policy.  If that is case if he uses that as a defense he will have admitted to multiple violations of policy and still be facing long term suspension or even banishment.  

Many prostitutes are not astute business women, but sex slaves in service to another.  He won’t have any high ground going prostitute route.  

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

1) The girls are going to deny that even if true as it destroys their civil and criminal cases.
2) It may be true of some and not others.

3) In either event it will have to be proven to some extent or in alternative settled.
4) Obviously, there have been massage parlor/whore houses forever.  Everyone knows that.   So that may be a defense to sexual assault or harassment, but to date he has not tried to use that.

But, I am also thinking soliciting prostitutes violates NFL conduct policy.  If that is case if he uses that as a defense he will have admitted to multiple violations of policy and still be facing long term suspension or even banishment.  

Many prostitutes are not astute business women, but sex slaves in service to another.  He won’t have any high ground going prostitute route.  

As far as IK there is nothing in the NFL policy that prohibits hiring prostitutes.  And there is nothing that says he has to use that as a defense.  The defense is simply that it was consensual and that if (when) his advances were turned down that he did not push the issue (which several of the affidavits in the Civil complaints corroborate)

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

As far as IK there is nothing in the NFL policy that prohibits hiring prostitutes.  And there is nothing that says he has to use that as a defense.  The defense is simply that it was consensual and that if (when) his advances were turned down that he did not push the issue (which several of the affidavits in the Civil complaints corroborate)

They have a catch all moral clause.  I think soliciting prostitute will or would fall under it.  Or it would now.  

I know old timers openly did it all time. 

LT famously would send them to opponents hotel rooms day before games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

What a f***ing jack** he is. Remember when he posted the "last dance" meme on social media? Talk about hypocritical

I also think he maybe needs to win a couple more Super Bowls before comparing himself to MJ...