What’s the best package we could get for Rodgers?

fattlipp

7 hours ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Ok, this all true- but hear me out.  Had the packers taken this approach (win now with no regard for the future) in 2008 what would the last 15 years have looked like?

Could a QB search end up being a disaster?  Maybe.  Perhaps it’s even probable.  But a ton of draft capital gets you a really good swing at a good 2023 QB class if Love isn’t the guy.  If you run this back, Love will be traded, and lord knows Gutekunst won’t consider restocking QB with a high pick while Rodgers is here.  You would almost be assuring that the worst possible outcome you fear for the future comes true.  

There are definitely some similarities to Brent's messy departure. I remember the board was pretty split back then too.

Couple of key differences, one being that Burt was talking about retirement since he was 32, the second being that he actually retired and tried to come back, and the third being that Rodgers had played very well on his only game action, almost coming back from down a bunch against the one seeded Cowboys after Bart got hurt.

Rodgers looked like a future NFL star at the time, and the coaches confirmed in later interviews that they already knew they had a diamond in the rough with him, but Love last year looked like he had no place on an NFL field.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

There are definitely some similarities to Brent's messy departure. I remember the board was pretty split back then too.

Couple of key differences, one being that Burt was talking about retirement since he was 32, the second being that he actually retired and tried to come back, and the third being that Rodgers had played very well on his only game action, almost coming back from down a bunch against the one seeded Cowboys after Bart got hurt.

Rodgers looked like a future NFL star at the time, and the coaches confirmed in later interviews that they already knew they had a diamond in the rough with him, but Love last year looked like he had no place on an NFL field.

Nope. This is revisionist memory at absolute best. I was there at the first Rodgers preseason game. He got booed. HARD. I was here during that time.  There's zero percent chance things were "split". It was ugly.. Rodgers was getting way less support than Love does now. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Nope. This is revisionist memory at absolute best. I was there at the first Rodgers preseason game. He got booed. HARD. I was here during that time.  There's zero percent chance things were "split". It was ugly.. Rodgers was getting way less support than Love does now. 

No matter how many times people bring it up, everyone seems to want to sweep Rodgers' first significant regular season PT resulted in 15/31 for 111 yds, 1 int and 6 sacks, on top of looking overwhelmed in preseason. 

Heck, at the time Favre stepped on the field in Cinci his career #s were 8/18 for 73 yds, 3 ints, and 5 sacks. 

Love may or may not pan out but to make an assessment after 6 quarters vs KC and Det (plus the garbage time vs NO, during which he looked OK) is pretty dumb. People keep doing it though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

No matter how many times people bring it up, everyone seems to want to sweep Rodgers' first significant regular season PT resulted in 15/31 for 111 yds, 1 int and 6 sacks, on top of looking overwhelmed in preseason. 

Heck, at the time Favre stepped on the field in Cinci his career #s were 8/18 for 73 yds, 3 ints, and 5 sacks. 

Love may or may not pan out but to make an assessment after 6 quarters vs KC and Det (plus the garbage time vs NO, during which he looked OK) is pretty dumb. People keep doing it though. 

Not to mention the covid do nothing season.  Have been a Rodgers fan for years but to "trash" Love from what little play we've seen is goofy.   I'm neutral on what to do .. ok with Rodgers staying, ok if he goes but it had better be a big return.

5 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

I was here too (different username) and there was a similar war on the board. At the time I was on the side to move on to Rodgers. I do agree the splits were different - Id say it was roughly 70% of the board being pro-favre whereas now more than half seem to be for moving on to Love now, but there was no consensus either time. You have to remember that Favre had been doing this dance for a few years already so many if us were tired of his mental games and ready to move on.

8 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I was here too (different username) and there was a similar war on the board. At the time I was on the side to move on to Rodgers. I do agree the splits were different - Id say it was roughly 70% of the board being pro-favre whereas now more than half seem to be for moving on to Love now, but there was no consensus either time. You have to remember that Favre had been doing this dance for a few years already so many if us were tired of his mental games and ready to move on.

So tired of his mental games… and his season ending interceptions. I grew up watching Favre, a huge fan,I was ready for Rodgers. Rodgers on the bench still had the stigma that he should of been the #1 pick and the Packers stole him. There is likely a lot of fans that now haven’t been around long enough to remember when the Packers didn’t have back to back hall of famers and only know of greatness, their views are a bit skewed on base expectations for a qb are. Try being a Browns, Bears, Jets, Dolphins, Lions, Titans fan and imagine giving up on Rodgers if he was your QB

4 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

You're right about it being dumb for fans to make extreme assessments based off of 6 quarters on Love, but the coaches saw him in practice every day now for two years, along with all the preseason games last year, and taking every snap with the 1's from Week 9 to Week 19. So as dumb as it is for fans to make assessments, the coaches know. And if the coaches and front office are begging to have Rodgers back....that should tell you all that you need to know. 

Rodgers put up some clunkers in his early action, but he also came out and looked like he more than belonged against the Dallas team in primetime who was the best team in the conference. 

You aren't going to know what Love can do until he gets consistent playing time week in and week out getting valuable experience.   

With a $20 million 5th year option decision due after next year, and the Packer interest in bringing Rodgers back, Love may be running out of time.  Maybe they'll pay him the 20 mill to buy some time with that 5th year?, maybe tweak his deal?? Pretty risky, but we'll see.

Edited by NFLGURU

3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Nagler is done, lol.

I want to be done so bad, but when the best QB in the conference sans Rodgers is looking like Dak or Stafford, I'm having problems sticking to my guns.

Though Rodgers will demand to keep Tae, and if we sign Tae we'll be back to a crap defense, so it doesn't matter who our QB is.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

You aren't going to know what Love can do until he gets consistent playing time week in and week out getting valuable experience.   

With a $20 million 5th year option decision due after next year, and the Packer interest in bringing Rodgers back, Love may be running out of time.  Maybe they'll pay him the 20 mill to buy some time with that 5th year?, maybe tweak his deal?? Pretty risky, but we'll see.

I'm with Andrew Brandt on this ... he thinks they drafted Love with 2022 in mind.  Well, it's 2022 .. Love time!  They invested a first round pick in the guy and it's soon time to play.  We can't make any real judgements on the guy until he's the man and this is his show.  It's up to LaFleur to tailor an offense around what this guy does best and then the hope is that he rapidly improves week in and week out.  Brandt said there is zero chance they deal Love .. he's their guy and will play.  Now if he bombs then all bets are off and the Packers are probably drafting quite high and will position themselves to get a franchise type qb. 

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I want to be done so bad, but when the best QB in the conference sans Rodgers is looking like Dak or Stafford, I'm having problems sticking to my guns.

Though Rodgers will demand to keep Tae, and if we sign Tae we'll be back to a crap defense, so it doesn't matter who our QB is.

It's fools gold .. rip the band-aid off lets reset this sumbitch.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's fools gold .. rip the band-aid off lets reset this sumbitch.

We definitely have earned the right to be jaded with this QB as a fan base. If Rodgers comes back and we dominate the conference for 13 wins again, I'll be waiting for that post season let down. But the odds of us going to a super bowl again with Rodgers are still way higher than of us ever going to one with Love. Then again, I've always preferred to go down swinging than to watch strike three.

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Two things would make it a lot easier to move on, and we have gotten neither.  First, Rodgers has been MVP since Love arrived.  And second, Love has not shown any reason for us to want him to be in control of the team through a game and a half, or a preseason.  Either of those things aren't there, and it is much easier.