Next Step: Head Coach & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

I wouldn't be disappointed with Harbaugh or Ryan's.   It would be interesting to see who they'd retain off the current staff.    Personally, I'm intrigued about Klint Kubiak . . . Look back at history and you'll see his dad backed-up Elway at QB before becoming an OC to Mike Shanahan and then winning a SB in 2015.   Klint has to make his own path, but the kid has been in school a long time . . . Can he be at the top of his class?   

Shoot, Kyle Shanahan and McVey both graduated from the same school.  So, Klint only needs time.   Now, would the new guy want him?   Did he take another job?  If I were him, I'd be working to stay with this Vikings squad -- those guys can make a young coach look genius, or stupid.   In 2021, somebody looked stupid . . . I'm thinking that was more Zimmers demise than Kubiak's ineptitude.

Ryan's would have his hands full, being a former stud LB and really ascending coaching ranks quickly.    However, if Hunter returns, and doesn't come down with another soft tissue injury, I'm thinking the rebuild of the D won't be as bad.   

10 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I wouldn't be disappointed with Harbaugh or Ryan's.   It would be interesting to see who they'd retain off the current staff.    Personally, I'm intrigued about Klint Kubiak . . . Look back at history and you'll see his dad backed-up Elway at QB before becoming an OC to Mike Shanahan and then winning a SB in 2015.   Klint has to make his own path, but the kid has been in school a long time . . . Can he be at the top of his class?   

Shoot, Kyle Shanahan and McVey both graduated from the same school.  So, Klint only needs time.   Now, would the new guy want him?   Did he take another job?  If I were him, I'd be working to stay with this Vikings squad -- those guys can make a young coach look genius, or stupid.   In 2021, somebody looked stupid . . . I'm thinking that was more Zimmers demise than Kubiak's ineptitude.

Ryan's would have his hands full, being a former stud LB and really ascending coaching ranks quickly.    However, if Hunter returns, and doesn't come down with another soft tissue injury, I'm thinking the rebuild of the D won't be as bad.   

Mike Klis (@mikeklis) Tweeted:
Per source, Broncos are planning to interview former Broncos offensive assistant/current Vikings OC Klint Kubiak for an offensive coaching position. It’s a new generation of the West Coast offense - Paul Hackett to Nathaniel; Gary Kubiak to Klint. #9sports

https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/1488220229201059840?s=20&t=I5Vut3L5B0b3v9ph4bn_rA

Edited by Kparty15

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I'm not going to be disappointed with any hire, because I'm completely open to any one of them...outside of Harbaugh...but even then, if he's chosen, then I'll support it and be anxious to see where it goes.  

Yeah. Frankly, we don't know anything about any of them outside of what we read on forums or Twitter. As I've said from the start, I'd like an offensive minded head coach, simply because it's a passing league and system continuity is important. But if we end up with a D guy who will pay proper attention to the offense, I'm game. It's not like I won't watch th games. Unless we hire a dolt like Mike Ditka or Urban Meyer. Even then, I might watch the trainwreck. 

• Like 2

Stealing from @SemperFeist

NYG - Brian Daboll
DEN - Nathaniel Hackett
CHI - Matt Eberflus
LVR - Josh McDaniels

MIN - TBD (O'Connell, Morris, and Ryans all have 2nd interviews, Harbaugh in the mix)
HOU - TBD (Gannon, McCown appear to be finalists. Flores and O'Connell mentioned, anyone else?)
MIA - TBD (Moore and McDaniel as finalists, rumors of Harbaugh as well)
JAC - TBD (Leftwich, want to interview O'Connell but can't until after SB)
NOR - TBD (Pederson interviewed yesterday, think they'd have to wait on any SB coordinators until after SB)

Of the 4 other teams looking to fill their vacant HC position we're really competing against the Texans for O'Connell and the Dolphins for Harbaugh? I feel like that is a good spot to be in if we wanted either of those candidates.

It really seems like the Raiders can't stop stepping on their own feet. I just don't see what McDaniels has done to warrant another look from teams. He went back and had more success under BB. Had he done it elsewhere, maybe. But he just doesn't seem like a guy who learns from his mistakes. Oh well, just glad he wasn't under consideration for the Vikings. 

6 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I don’t want to see Cousins for more then one more season, so extending him this off-season is a definite no in my books. 

I'm not a fan of seeing him more than one season either, but it may be necessary until the right replacement is found.  If they extend him, it should be to get them at least through 2023, and make it easy enough to trade him after that if they've found one...ala Alex Smith.  

8 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Why does play calling matter?

It matters because I believe he is getting the credit for an offense he has not as much to do with, sure he is the OC but Hackett on Green Bay was the OC also, LaFleur ran the offense there not Hackett and I think same thing with O'Connell and McVay.  McVay is the source and the main playcaller, O'Connell is just an assistant to him not the head play caller which does show something if one is just hiring off of results on the field.

Amazing the Vikings have Ryans and Morris as finalists, sure bring O'Connell along but would love if they hire either one of those two, hopefully Ryans even though might be a bit early for him in his coaching career but oh well.  

18 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It matters because I believe he is getting the credit for an offense he has not as much to do with, sure he is the OC but Hackett on Green Bay was the OC also, LaFleur ran the offense there not Hackett and I think same thing with O'Connell and McVay.  McVay is the source and the main playcaller, O'Connell is just an assistant to him not the head play caller which does show something if one is just hiring off of results on the field.

Amazing the Vikings have Ryans and Morris as finalists, sure bring O'Connell along but would love if they hire either one of those two, hopefully Ryans even though might be a bit early for him in his coaching career but oh well.  

Say what you want about him (and his luck), but Zac Taylor is in the Super Bowl, and never called plays in LA either (and was only a QB coach there).

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Say what you want about him (and his luck), but Zac Taylor is in the Super Bowl, and never called plays in LA either (and was only a QB coach there).

He also has Joe Burrow as his quarterback and ultimately if Joe Burrow likes him then that is all he needs to worry about and he is in for being the HC of Cincinnati for the next 10 years or so especially after the season they had this year.

Sure you can give all the credit you want to him but fact is the roster wins football games, the coach just helps lead the team but they could have easily been successful with a different HC because it is about the players not the coach.  Having arguably the best young new QB in the NFL helps a bit as well.

Obvious pattern of hire a McVay assistants to make your great QB happy, happened in Green Bay, happened in Cincinnati and happened with the Chargers.  Only difference is all those teams have great QBs, the Vikings do not.