Next Step: Head Coach & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

As I've stated in other threads, the Belichick text doesn't prove anything. We don't even know who Belichick talked to, or if that person was a decision maker. Unless BB has a text that says "We're hiring Dabol because he's white," Flores isn't winning. 

Secondly, Flores won't be able to show damages for not tanking. He kept his job for three seasons after the alleged offer was made. He can say he was fired for not tanking, and that might actually be part of it, but the fact that he had three full seasons afterwards makes that an incredibly tough sell to a court. So it's not legally an issue for Flores. For the NFL? Yes. For the US Government? Yes. Not for Brian Flores. 

The Vikings interviewed a lot of different candidates before Kwesi came on board. Flores was not one of them. So it appears no one in the organization shared your viewpoint that Flores was a "dream coach."

Honestly, outside of the last half of this season, nothing Flores has done screams "dream coach." He certainly did show potential, that I agree with. But he's not even a dream coach for most of the fans on this board. 

So to recap: the Vikings didn't want him before Kwesi. The Vikings didn't want him after Kwesi. The Vikings didn't hire Harbaugh. Seems to me that Kwesi is being very thorough and not making a rash decision. 

I never said Brian Flores was the Vikings dream coach or a dream coach in general, he was the top guy to me considering those that are available which is not many.  Still say out of college Ryan Day is the best potential pro coach long term not Jim Harbaugh.  Either way he is well worth being a head coach in the league and is a joke so few have even interviewed him.

From what I have read, only reason they even interviewed Jim Harbaugh was because of Kwesi, because he worked with him on the 49ers and only reason they are so obsessed with Kevin O'Connell is because Kwesi worked with him as well.  As much as I was not a fan of Jim Harbaugh being the HC, I am also not a huge fan of Kevin O'Connell being the HC either.  But everyone will say look at Zac Taylor, he did little to nothing and how he brought the Bengals to the Super Bowl.  Last time I checked he is 16-32 as the Bengals head coach, but yeah they are awesome now but they are awesome because Burrow is healthy and they have a great offensive weapons and a solid D that makes plays.

Taylor has a little to do with that success but gets way too much credit for it with a **** record like that.  Zimmer was 74-59 as the Vikings head coach over eight years by the way. That record of Taylor's is over 3 years with only one being remotely good.  

But again just to confirm, there is no Vikings dream coach sitting out there waiting to be hired at the moment but some are much better than others.  Honestly though I am just getting a little sick of the McVay assistant hiring thing, that is all that seems to happen in the NFL is hire the young white male McVay assistant.  For the Vikings to do that also is kind of lame, especially with a forward thinking GM apparently.  

I think the Bengals success is more dependent on Burrow, and less on Taylor. The bengals have a once in a generational talent at QB. Helps to overcompensate for everything else. 

McVay's system works really well, IF you have all the pieces in place. But then again, what system doesn't? It really just all comes down to your QB in the end. 

Can we expect O'Connell to be a QB whisperer? Seeing as he never could get over the hill himself in his professional career. It makes me very skeptical now. 

Edited by Frank Costello

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

But again just to confirm, there is no Vikings dream coach sitting out there waiting to be hired at the moment but some are much better than others.  Honestly though I am just getting a little sick of the McVay assistant hiring thing, that is all that seems to happen in the NFL is hire the young white male McVay assistant.  For the Vikings to do that also is kind of lame, especially with a forward thinking GM apparently.  

There's a lot of cringe in this statement.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Frank Costello said:

I think the Bengals success is more dependent on Burrow, and less on Taylor. The bengals have a once in a generational talent at QB. Helps to overcompensate for everything else. 

McVay's system works really well, IF you have all the pieces in place. But then again, what system doesn't? It really just all comes down to your QB in the end. 

Can we expect O'Connell to be a QB whisperer? Seeing as he never could get over the hill himself in his professional career. It makes me very skeptical now. 

McVay's system worked pretty well with Jared Goff at QB 🤮. Generational QBs or not, his coaching tree seems to be doing pretty well

14 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Are we though? Just because you work with McVay doesn’t make it true.

Has a McVay “disciple” failed yet? 

McVay, for many different reasons and not all of them football related, has had a tremendous eye for coaching talent. 

6 minutes ago, SotanKing said:

KOC did work with Cousins in the past...biggest question for me is will Vikings be looking to extend Kirk?

You have to. There is no replacement on the roster, you want to start your coaching career with your best foot forward, and there's no replacement to be found in the draft who can come in and start (especially not one worth the #12 pick). They've got to get that cap number down. Extending him is the only way. 

• Like 1