Tom Brady to retire from NFL after 22 seasons

rocky_rams

3 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Sure, I'll bet you $10,000. 

Metaphorically speaking, slick. I wouldn't waste a copper penny on your "takes" in this thread. But I still stand by the fact you didn't see a bulk of that list play a game. Being born in 99 when Marino walked away in 2000 doesn't mean you were privy to his career.

• Like 2

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

First, what are you trying to imply with this? That he was carried throughout this career? That he was surrounded by so much talent that it inflated his stats? I'm just so confused.

All Pros are end-all-be-alls.

Dude has two All Decade teams. That sorta trumps all the All Pros.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

I never said Harrison was an ok player, so maybe try reading a bit more closely.

You omitted him in your argument to justify your case - a lie of omission is worse than downplaying him, so thanks for calling that out.

Just now, ET80 said:

All Pros are end-all-be-alls.

Dude has two All Decade teams. That sorta trumps all the All Pros.

Two All-Decade teams, like a million passing records and the most Superbowl wins of any person ever while making the Superbowl in 50% of his career seasons.

But nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh when you put him up against Sammy ******* Baugh, you gotta take Slingin' Sammy every time!

• Like 4

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

First, what are you trying to imply with this? That he was carried throughout this career? That he was surrounded by so much talent that it inflated his stats? I'm just so confused.

My point is that Brady typically performed about as well or below his peers for most of his career.

For me, personally, a true GOAT has to have an extended period where he is unquestionably the best player at his position. For instance, look at Michael Jordan from 1987-93. Or Babe Ruth from 1919-31. 

For Brady, he had 1 truly dominant season in 2007 with Moss. Yes he had great seasons in 2010 and 2017, but those are about on par or below with what others were doing at the time (Manning, Rodgers, Brees, even Ryan and Newton). 

So, because Brady's peak is really not exceptional at all, I have a hard time putting him as GOAT QB. Why? I watched Manning from 2003-2006. He was simply a machine. Brady never put together a stretch like that.

Yes the lengthy career and team accomplishments are incredible. But when you boil the question down to "how good was he?" I can't say that Brady played the position better than Manning, or early Marino, or Unitas, or Otto Graham, or Sammy Baugh. 

To me its pretty obvious he wasn't as dominant as those players. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Metaphorically speaking, slick. I wouldn't waste a copper penny on your "takes" in this thread. But I still stand by the fact you didn't see a bulk of that list play a game. Being born in 99 when Marino walked away in 2000 doesn't mean you were privy to his career.

Marino was my favorite player growing up. 

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Two All-Decade teams, like a million passing records and the most Superbowl wins of any person ever while making the Superbowl in 50% of his career seasons.

But nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh when you put him up against Sammy ******* Baugh, you gotta take Slingin' Sammy every time!

But y'know, he played with Randy Moss for like... 18-19 games, so it totally doesn't count. 

You should trust me, I study this sport.

• Like 2