49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

9 hours ago, P_locniners said:

Really starting to wonder if the NINERS will actually give Hufanga a shot at starting safety next season since Tartt is a FA…

OR..

since Marcell Harris is a FA, I wonder if they would entertain moving Hufanga to the LB role?

let’s face it, Hufanga showed some flashes, but I don’t think he is what we need opposite Ward next season. If we let Tartt go, I think Safety jumps up in priority in this draft.

I think we leave Huf at safety for now. He seems to be better in coverage than Harris was already (low bar I know). Health is always going to be a concern with him for me. I think we’ll need to draft another safety and LB this year for insurance.

Supposedly the Browns were taking calls on Mack Wilson last year. I’d ship a late rounder to them for him, especially if we trade Greenlaw as I know has been mentioned on here and in an article already.

9 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I think we leave Huf at safety for now. He seems to be better in coverage than Harris was already (low bar I know). Health is always going to be a concern with him for me. I think we’ll need to draft another safety and LB this year for insurance.

Supposedly the Browns were taking calls on Mack Wilson last year. I’d ship a late rounder to them for him, especially if we trade Greenlaw as I know has been mentioned on here and in an article already.

I would be pretty disappointed if they don't bring Dre back.. sure he makes some really stupid plays once in awhile, but he is electric and I love the duo of him and 54

25 minutes ago, adamq said:

I would be pretty disappointed if they don't bring Dre back.. sure he makes some really stupid plays once in awhile, but he is electric and I love the duo of him and 54

The thing is, he may end up being our 3rd LB and how much is that worth? I love the trio of LBs we have and arguably that unit is the best in the league. But getting a draft pick for him before having to give him his contract is not the worst of ideas. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The thing is, he may end up being our 3rd LB and how much is that worth? I love the trio of LBs we have and arguably that unit is the best in the league. But getting a draft pick for him before having to give him his contract is not the worst of ideas. 

Agreed. He was a helluva find for a 5th round pick. But LB is a position that unless you truly find a special player (Willis, Bowman, Warner) you should just continue to mine the draft or find inexpensive FAs who fit your scheme.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

My hope is that we target a true FS with range and ball skills in the draft. I also think we need a 5th LB as well. I like our top 4 of Warner, Greenlaw, Azeez, and DFF. A 7th round or UDFA LB would be fine with me. Obviously, someone who excels on special teams is a need for the 5th LB.

Edited by NinerNation21

21 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

My hope is that we target a true FS with range and ball skills in the draft. I also think we need a 5th LB as well. I like our top 4 of Warner, Greenlaw, Azeez, and DFF. A 7th round or UDFA LB would be fine with me. Obviously, someone who excels on special teams is a need for the 5th LB.

I was looking at FA FS:

Honey Badger and Jessie Bates are the two big names but I'm sure they'll cash in in FA whether that's by staying put or signing somewhere.

Tashaun Gipson is a another name that came to mind. He's 31 but at one point, I thought he was the next big thing at FS.

Other names: Quandre Diggs, Justin Reid, Anthony Harris.

Don't get me wrong. Tartt and Ward are very sound/good players but I've been waiting to get a S who can make plays on the ball.

9 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I was looking at FA FS:

Honey Badger and Jessie Bates are the two big names but I'm sure they'll cash in in FA whether that's by staying put or signing somewhere.

Tashaun Gipson is a another name that came to mind. He's 31 but at one point, I thought he was the next big thing at FS.

Don't get me wrong. Tartt and Ward are very sound/good players but I've been waiting to get a S who can make plays on the ball.

If they're willing to spend big bucks on one of those guys, it would certainly add some fire power to the backend of the defense. And, it would be so satisfying to take Diggs away from Seattle LOL.

I've been setting my sights more on the draft with safety and I REALLY like Jaquan Brisker from Penn State so far. Still doing my homework, but the kid is very athletic, a sound tackler that can hit hard, and has pretty decent range. 

When Ward kicks down into the slot or close to the LoS, it'd be nice to have a legit rangy FS to plug in on the back end to play the Cover 1 single high or cover 2. Right now, that's Hufanga and as much as I like him, I don't think that's his best role.

9 hours ago, N4L said:

This is a great point. It is possible his contract expired considering next year is year 6 of the Shanahan era. Kyle got a 6 year deal to start, but I doubt his entire staff did. 

I think it's one of the beat writers that mentioned his contract was expiring, or even that he signed a one year contract last offseason, I'm not sure. But it's weird that we're having these few conflicting reports about an assistant coach. My theory is that Wilcots didn't investigate too much and saw an opportunity to make a big splash out of mundane coaching staff transaction. It's weird that you'd point the finger at an organization that currently employs a lot of minority coaches and FO people, and a team that actually had that guy who just got "fired" as an assistant-HC in the first place. So what, they gave a man of colour a better job, JUST so they could racially-motivatedly fire him? That would be like me giving money to a homeless man, just to rob him later and end up in jail...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I was looking at FA FS:

I've been thinking about this for years, but I didn't think he'd accept to consider it, but at this point, why not... but if we let Tartt seek money elsewhere, how about we give Sherm a call? At safety. The guy obviously loves the team. He has spent more time tweeting about the niners than he has about the bucs. He still hates Seattle. He'd be a ball hawk in the secondary. The smartest player on the field. A good tackler. And perhaps in a rotation. I still believe in Tarvarius Moore. These guys always come back stronger from injuries, and I truly feel he was coming into his own. Add the tutelage of Sherman, the presence of Tartt, the complementary role of Hufanga, and I'd feel great about the back end. I'd at least feel stronger about these guys ability to not drop an easy interception (I don't hate Tartt, I just deplore the lack of ball skills in our secondary). And I think he could come back for one last run. Demeco comes back for another run. I'm not counting on Verrett, but if he comes back, he'd be veteran depth. I listened to a podcast earlier mentioning that if we signed a starting corner, Moseley has played the slot, which I had kinda pushed out of my mind. I think he'd be a great slot corner.

Then, find an speed edge rusher in the draft, just to add some diversity to our pass rush, and that defense can be special.

1 hour ago, adamq said:

The thing is that both Al Shaair and Greenlaw will have comparable cap hits (assuming we just tender the former) and they will both be free agents after next year regardless. Seems highly likely that we lose one of them after the year is over regardless, so it's certainly worth kicking the tires on a potential trade. I wouldn't give either away given the injury histories, but if I can find a deal I like, I wouldn't hesitate to move one of them. We've done a really nice job of discovering usable linebackers later in the draft and in UDFA. 

48 minutes ago, John232 said:

What kind of pick would we get for Dre in a trade? I suspect a 3rd, maybe a second from a desperate team.

I was thinking a 4th or 5th. 

I'd probably prefer to ship him off for an underperforming bust. Ask the Jags if they want to move Chaisson. See if the Eagles will move Dillard, or the Dolphins will move Austin Jackson or Noah Igbinoghene. Maybe Houston would move Ross Blacklock, etc. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I think it's one of the beat writers that mentioned his contract was expiring, or even that he signed a one year contract last offseason, I'm not sure. But it's weird that we're having these few conflicting reports about an assistant coach. My theory is that Wilcots didn't investigate too much and saw an opportunity to make a big splash out of mundane coaching staff transaction. It's weird that you'd point the finger at an organization that currently employs a lot of minority coaches and FO people, and a team that actually had that guy who just got "fired" as an assistant-HC in the first place. So what, they gave a man of colour a better job, JUST so they could racially-motivatedly fire him? That would be like me giving money to a homeless man, just to rob him later and end up in jail...

Correct. Barrows indicated the contract expired, so he was ostensibly a free agent coach. Clearly we weren't all that interested in bringing him back. 

Wilcots really threw out some trash journalism on this one. 

• Like 2