2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Vick had starter talent, Kaep has back up talent. NFL will forgive damn near anything if you're able to produce enough.

I’m going to disagree about this. Vick had as much backup talent as Kaep did. Which is to say the line between both wasn’t that different. Except Kaep actually got his team to the SB. But you had to tailor specific schemes to both in order for them to be starters.

Edited by Xenos

Just now, Xenos said:

I’m going to disagree about this. Vick had as much backup talent as Kaep did. Which is to say the line between both wasn’t that different. Except Kaep actually got his team to the SB. But you had to tailor specific schemes to both in order for them to be starters.

Kap's performance in the playoffs against the Packers was the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xenos said:

You have 2009 Vick and 2022 Kaepernick as similarly talented?

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If those players can help them win football games. There's a reason guys like Manziel, Kap, and Tebow didn't last long. 

Tebow just got another chance last year in training camp....

6 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Teams bringing in controversial players = / = teams don’t care about a media circus. 

A guy like Watson is controversial. He gets brought in because the last time we saw him, he was a top 6ish QB. He’s worth the controversy. A backup QB isn’t.

And that's the problem. Rapist, murderer, Domestic violent guy got second/ third chance because they are talented, team can support the media circus. But a politician player ? No, that's too much too handle

9 hours ago, RedGold said:

If the talent is worth the risk.  No one wants to spend time answering questions on why their backup QB isn’t seeing the field. 

I'm not saying Kaep is the best backup QB in the NFL but list all the backup QB and tell me right now that everyone of them is better than Kaep. I don't think so...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flounch said:

And that's the problem. Rapist, murderer, Domestic violent guy got second/ third chance because they are talented, team can support the media circus. But a politician player ? No, that's too much too handle

Guy’s also 35 years old, wasn’t exactly a great QB in the first place, has history of suing his employers, hasn’t played in what is now 6 years, and until very recently, had contract demands on what he should be making. Omitting all of that and pretending like he’s solely a political martyr is ignorant.

From a team’s POV, why would I want a player that’s going to bring a media circus that, if all goes the way I want it to, will contribute absolutely nothing to the team on the field? 

• Like 6

Kaep probably made a fortunate as a Nike athlete, I would guess more than he made as an NFL player, but if not almost assuredly more than what any team would potentially offer him. It's not like he has done nothing in his time off, but it probably isn't fully "NFL ready". The guy edited a book, does speaking engagements, community activism, has clothing lines, modeling/ad deals, and works out to keep his potential playing career alive. At a certain point if he returns to like the Seahawks and beats out Drew Lock, that's a massive boon for his advertising career. I think a team like Seattle is a phenomenal fit as well as his running abilities are still better than most and being fresh from hits is a plus. If he has arm strength to threaten to stretch the field comparable enough to Lock I think it would be a real battle on who could start for a run first team with low expectations. Seattle's locker room has an established foster who you are culture as well. Additionally his "distraction" has mainstreamed to the point of NFL adoption and isn't viewed as a negative distraction. There's a world where if Kaep made the Seahawks he'd be a Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee. Is he polarizing? Yes. Is he a bad person? No. Is he talented? Yes. Is the talent, at that age and with the independent training over the last 5ish years enough -- maybe? I don't see fits beyond Seattle. I think WFT would be a disaster, but maybe maybe SF return as a clear back up to Trey Lance and hold a third QB on the roster as well could potentially work?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flounch said:

I'm not saying Kaep is the best backup QB in the NFL but list all the backup QB and tell me right now that everyone of them is better than Kaep. I don't think so...

I don't inherently disagree, but he hasn't played a snap in almost 6 years, is the age where most non-superstar QBs retire, and was never a particularly refined passer. 

Kaepernick not getting a shot in 2022 doesn't really surprise me. Him not getting a shot from 2017 onward will always be one of the more baffling things I've seen. 

11 hours ago, Flounch said:

Tebow just got another chance last year in training camp....

Tebow got a chance as a third string TE for a few weeks because the Jaguars had just hired his former college head coach in what was called the most toxic environment in NFL history, lol. They wanted to sell jerseys and preseason tickets. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Tebow got a chance as a third string TE for a few weeks because the Jaguars had just hired his former college head coach in what was called the most toxic environment in NFL history, lol. They wanted to sell jerseys and preseason tickets. 

This.

Tebow had an established relationship as a guy who would support his coach in any way required.

Now the coach was a fraud and Tebow did not work out but it does not change the relationship leading to the weird opportunity from a humble player just looking for a shot.

Kaepernick burned every bridge and then blew up the banks where you would start to build another bridge and then irradiated the area so no one could try to even look into building a bridge back to the NFL for him. (do your own research on socks, Castro, Alcatraz, lawsuits, Eric Reid yelling at owners and assaulting Malcolm Jenkins , Nessa and Ray Lewis/Bisciotti and so on) It all helped his protest brand and hurt his NFL relationships.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 2

Put aside Mike Vick since he was away from football for criminal activity and was a generational talent. We all know the NFL can overlook virtually any crime and still find a roster spot for a player if they are talented(ray Lewis, donte stallworth) 

I would rather focus on guys like Kurt Warner, Tommy Maddox and in a different way, Rich Gannon.

Maddox was a former first round draft pick that found himself out of the league for years, selling insurance. Then he got a chance to play well for the XFL and parlayed that into an NFL backup role. He was a 30 year old that was out of the league for 4+years(while having no prior success in the NFL) yet he was still given an opportunity to come in as a backup.

Kurt Warner was a practice squad member of the Packers in 94 but didn't get another sniff of the league until he was brought in as a backup for the rams at age 27. He has no prior NFL success and was fairly old for a developmental QB. Yet a team rolled the dice and had success.

Gannon is a bit different. He was a veteran QB that had never had a single season prior to age 34 where he played a full 16 games. This is 90s era football where 34-35 was basically toast time for qbs. Instead the raiders brought him in and got a QB that had career years for the next 4 years, bringing a dormant franchise back to respectability. 

I don't really see why, given past success, that a guy that Kaepernick, who actually experienced success in the NFL, couldn't get a team to roll the dice on a backup gig in hopes that he has a late career resurgence. The guy has a good arm and can probably still move. He's put up better numbers that clowns like Daniel Jones, Mitch trubinsky and Sam darnold for sure.

The Tommy Maddox role has been open to him for years but he can’t be bothered. You said it yourself about proving it in a minor league.

Im pretty sure Warner got a shot in a training camp because he had built a positive relationship with some coaches who recommended him. Warner also played in multiple minor leagues.

Gannon does not apply as he was in the league throughout and he just improved over time and got the right players and system around him. Plunkett means he’s not even the only Raider to do this.

I’m not sure who is saying that the USFL or XFL MVP QB should not get a shot. Look at the backup in Carolina. (PJ Walker?) I will watch that league if Kaep plays or not.

Edited by SkippyX

3 hours ago, drew39k said:

I don't really see why, given past success, that a guy that Kaepernick, who actually experienced success in the NFL, couldn't get a team to roll the dice on a backup gig in hopes that he has a late career resurgence.

23 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Guy’s also 35 years old, wasn’t exactly a great QB in the first place, has history of suing his employers, hasn’t played in what is now 6 years, and until very recently, had contract demands on what he should be making.