2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

ESPN's David Newton writes that the Jimmy Garoppolo "never has been high on the team radar because he's not considered much of an upgrade from [Sam] Darnold."

Well, that's certainly a take. Garoppolo and Baker Mayfield are the two main veteran options connected to Carolina, and the Panthers absolutely have the cap space to make it happen. But they have neither the draft resources (no second or third this year) nor, apparently, the inclination to believe in either of those quarterbacks. This will be the main quarterback drama for draft weekend assuming nothing unexpected pops up. 

Is Garoppolo a long term answer for Carolina at QB?

Just now, squire12 said:

Is Garoppolo a long term answer for Carolina at QB?

I don't think they are in a position to look long term tbh... rhule has to win this year. They should be looking at Baker / Jimmy just to save rhules job at this point. 

The long term answer would be in the draft, but that would be a mistake too

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think they are in a position to look long term tbh... rhule has to win this year. They should be looking at Baker / Jimmy just to save rhules job at this point. 

That seems very myopic for a front office/ GM

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

The long term answer would be in the draft, but that would be a mistake too

Good thing there will be a draft in 2023

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

That seems very myopic for a front office/ GM

But not of the head coach who has personnel control

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Good thing there will be a draft in 2023

Not a lot of help for Rhule

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

But not of the head coach who has personnel control

I thought Fitterer was GM?  Is that not the personnel decision making set up?

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not a lot of help for Rhule

If Rhule has that much say in personnel decisions,  then someone screwed up in that hiring

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

I thought Fitterer was GM?  Is that not the personnel decision making set up?

If Rhule has that much say in personnel decisions,  then someone screwed up in that hiring

Rhule has personnel control built into his contract. Hurney was basically on his last legs when Rhule was hired and people forget how coveted Rhule was. Fitterer was hired in 2021 and Rhule said he didn't have a lot of interest in doing the personnel part of it, but he still has the control and it was part of the contract (in fact, he weirdly made it a point to say that several times lol). So now you may have a GM and HC who are at different points of their career arc with the team. The set up itself isn't that unusual (Seattle was set up similarly, as are the 49ers and a few other teams), but at this particular point in time probably isn't an ideal marriage. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

Rhule has personnel control built into his contract. Hurney was basically on his last legs when Rhule was hired and people forget how coveted Rhule was. Fitterer was hired in 2021 and Rhule said he didn't have a lot of interest in doing the personnel part of it, but he still has the control and it was part of the contract (in fact, he weirdly made it a point to say that several times lol). So now you may have a GM and HC who are at different points of their career arc with the team. The set up itself isn't that unusual (Seattle was set up similarly, as are the 49ers and a few other teams), but at this particular point in time probably isn't an ideal marriage. 

Thanks for the info.  Seems like a strange set up.   

Does Fitterer have the ability to replace Rhule?  is so, maybe he informed Rhule that acquiring Baker would be a bad long-term career move for him as the Panther HC

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Thanks for the info.  Seems like a strange set up.   

Does Fitterer have the ability to replace Rhule?  is so, maybe he informed Rhule that acquiring Baker would be a bad long-term career move for him as the Panther HC

My guess is that he can't fire Rhule, but may be in charge of replacing him once Rhule is fired. I think firing decisions would be Tepper's

5 hours ago, Forge said:

I mean... Damn. I thought I was harsh on Jimmy lol

Yeah, that's a harsh criticism indeed. 

Jimmy isn't setting the world on fire, but...not much of an upgrade over Sam Darnold? 

Darnold is one of the worst QBs I've ever seen and if not for his draft pedigree and the ability for people to blame Gase, wouldn't be within striking distance of sniffing game time at this point. 

Not to say Darnold has had the best coaching, either, but I've seen plenty of guys play better (relatively speaking) and still never get their shot at redemption, much less a 3rd shot (the Jets, 2021 in Carolina after being ousted by the Jets, 2022 after being benched for the animated corpse of Cam Newton last year).

If Darnold was a 3rd or 4th round pick, would he even be in the league right now or would he be in the USFL or waiting on the XFL to start? 

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yeah, that's a harsh criticism indeed. 

Jimmy isn't setting the world on fire, but...not much of an upgrade over Sam Darnold? 

Darnold is one of the worst QBs I've ever seen and if not for his draft pedigree and the ability for people to blame Gase, wouldn't be within striking distance of sniffing game time at this point. 

Not to say Darnold has had the best coaching, either, but I've seen plenty of guys play better (relatively speaking) and still never get their shot at redemption, much less a 3rd shot (the Jets, 2021 in Carolina after being ousted by the Jets, 2022 after being benched for the animated corpse of Cam Newton last year).

If Darnold was a 3rd or 4th round pick, would he even be in the league right now or would he be in the USFL or waiting on the XFL to start? 

I love this song. Especially the bolded part.

• Like 1

Two points on Jalen Hurts offseason.

First, he has been working out with AJ Brown.

Second, he went to the master to learn from Tom House about getting better at throwing mechanics and accuracy.

https://www.nfl.com/news/pitching-guru-tom-house-also-tutors-top-nfl-quarterbacks-09000d5d82acaf67

It does not mean he's going to be Dan Marino this year but he's clearly putting in the work.