2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

On 7/29/2022 at 6:21 PM, candyman93 said:

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I think it’s silly to pay the money these WRs are getting. 

Have to sift through the fact and fiction first, then adjust on inflation. Adams and hill's contacts, and even brown's, are propped up on fake years they'll never get. 

There has been a slight uptick in cap rates (deebo, dk, AJ are getting about 11.5% of the current cap compared to a little over 10% that Michael Thomas and amari cooper got when they signed their deals) but it's not as much as it looks on the surface. It's also not unprecedented. Julio's 3 year deal in 2019 was also about 11.5% of the cap.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

The guys from PFF have been discussing how this season is a big litmus test to see how much WRs actually matter vs. what their analytics tell them (which is they are number 2 right behind QB). Hill, Adams, Brown and (potencially) Samuel are all downgrading at QB this season so we can better see if WRs really deserve the second highest contracts of if their metrics are all boosted by inherently being tied to the QB position (my hunch).

I think I misunderstood your post

What do analytics say about WRs?

12 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I think I misunderstood your post

What do analytics say about WRs?

Analytics would have WRs as a highly valuable position (often 2nd behind QBs), looking at stuff like EPA, win probability, etc. The trouble is, as with all attempts to boil football down to analytics, is different positions are so intrinsically tied together that it's really difficult, if not impossible, to separate the contributions of those positions. So, the question becomes is WR actually that valuable, or does it just appear valuable from a metrics standpoint because QBs are that valuable, and WRs are effectively contributing the same plays/statistics? This year will give a good opportunity to try to discern that, with high profile WRs on the move. Do Hill and Adams carry their value to Miami and Las Vegas, or do we just see other WRs suddenly seem more valuable on Green Bay and Kansas City?

Like, if Hill's value from an analytics perspective plummets going to Miami, and Mahomes's doesn't from losing Hill, and that value Hill previously seemed to add just gets shared across other WRs now on the Chiefs, that would imply WRs aren't actually that valuable, they basically just leech off of QBs. This would be a bit of an oversimplification, sample size and other factors and all that, but that's the basics of what he's outlining, I believe.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Analytics would have WRs as a highly valuable position (often 2nd behind QBs), looking at stuff like EPA, win probability, etc. The trouble is, as with all attempts to boil football down to analytics, is different positions are so intrinsically tied together that it's really difficult, if not impossible, to separate the contributions of those positions. So, the question becomes is WR actually that valuable, or does it just appear valuable from a metrics standpoint because QBs are that valuable, and WRs are effectively contributing the same plays/statistics? This year will give a good opportunity to try to discern that, with high profile WRs on the move. Do Hill and Adams carry their value to Miami and Las Vegas, or do we just see other WRs suddenly seem more valuable on Green Bay and Kansas City?

Like, if Hill's value from an analytics perspective plummets going to Miami, and Mahomes's doesn't from losing Hill, and that value Hill previously seemed to add just gets shared across other WRs now on the Chiefs, that would imply WRs aren't actually that valuable, they basically just leech off of QBs. This would be a bit of an oversimplification, sample size and other factors and all that, but that's the basics of what he's outlining, I believe.

Nailed it.

League will ask for a full years suspension and the judge will probably reduce that to 6-9 games.

NFL "looks" to the masses, media, sponsers like they dropped the hammer, knowing fully GD well it will be at maximum 1/2. Both sides save face and quickly like ever other scandal in NFL history sweep it under the rug as fast as humanely possible. 

Only reason I believe the NFL is intentionally dragging this suspension out still, is to allow Watson TC practices with his new team. 

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

League will ask for a full years suspension and the judge will probably reduce that to 6-9 games.

NFL "looks" to the masses, media, sponsers like they dropped the hammer, knowing fully GD well it will be at maximum 1/2. Both sides save face and quickly like ever other scandal in NFL history sweep it under the rug as fast as humanely possible. 

Only reason I believe the NFL is intentionally dragging this suspension out still, is to allow Watson TC practices with his new team. 

He'd be there for training camp either way. Whatever the length of the suspension is, it won't kick in until the actual regular season. For reference, Deandre Hopkins is still there for training camp with the Cardinals, and can even play in preseason games. Only thing that would keep him from camp would be if they put him on the exempt list, though even then, he could participate in a decent amount of things (could still attend meetings, do individual workouts, work with the medical staff, etc.) But, if they didn't put him on the list last season, no real reason for them to have done it now.

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Update:

6 game suspension 

Apparently suspensions are in reverse order now? 👌

6 hours ago, Nabbs4u said: