Giants expected to hire Chiefs QB coach Mike Kafka as OC

RaidersAreOne

10 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

He aint leaving Cali to go to Missouri for half the year on low end coach pay scale

Really just depends on what he'd wanna do. Whether he prefers the ESPN job, or wants to get into coaching eventually. If you want to coach, you wouldn't pass up an NFL job outright.

That said, I doubt they'd offer him. That's a huge step, regardless of his experience as a player and with Mahomes, to go straight to being an NFL position coach. Reid has taken shots on guys pretty quickly before (Pederson, Nagy, and Kafka each had short coaching resumes when he hired them), but he usually uses a quality control position as sort of a bridge for those guys. Not straight to a position coach spot. And even they at least had a year or two of high school or college coaching.

19 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I mean, that's how promoting someone to a coordinator position works?

But he has zero play calling experience for a job that requires play calling. I was told a certain head coach prospect cant be a head coach because he doesnt call plays even though he's applying for a job that does not require play calling. Sounds/smells/looks fishy. But that's just me. 

16 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Really just depends on what he'd wanna do. Whether he prefers the ESPN job, or wants to get into coaching eventually. If you want to coach, you wouldn't pass up an NFL job outright.

That said, I doubt they'd offer him. That's a huge step, regardless of his experience as a player and with Mahomes, to go straight to being an NFL position coach. Reid has taken shots on guys pretty quickly before (Pederson, Nagy, and Kafka each had short coaching resumes when he hired them), but he usually uses a quality control position as sort of a bridge for those guys. Not straight to a position coach spot. And even they at least had a year or two of high school or college coaching.

Thats kinda what i mean, youre leaving your family and kids, or uprooting them from their home for most of the year to go be a quality assistant/QB Coach, and their salaries while reasonable, certainly arent starting QB money. A guy who survived two intense  injuries/surgeries that almost cost him his life and limbs. Hes been through a lot is all im saying, he deserves a break in his home state and I dont expect him to leave anytime soon.

On a similar note, recently heard DJ talking about wanting to coach, but hes waiting till his kids are grown. Reid said the door is always open to him if he wants it. Got me pretty excited to hear that not gonna lie

3 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I genuinely didn't realize he was involved in the WFT scandal and honestly, regardless of some other dynamics, that involvement might make me hesitant of anyone involved also. 

He doesn't, to my knowledge. 

But I think anyone with any history of sex related incidences, regardless of severity, is likely to have a tough time these days.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

But he has zero play calling experience for a job that requires play calling. I was told a certain head coach prospect cant be a head coach because he doesnt call plays even though he's applying for a job that does not require play calling. Sounds/smells/looks fishy. But that's just me. 

There are multiple reasons EB isn’t a head coach, ignoring them at this point is pure pig headedness. It’s also silly to complain about Kafka being hired as an OC, when EB is already an OC. It’s not like MK got promoted straight to a head coaching job.

12 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

As for this thread, I am struggling to remember why I know this guy. Im not frustrated enough yet to look it up, but I will get there. Was he a tech QB or something?... the world may never know. 

He was drafted by the Eagles and played for them as a 3rd QB for a few years. That's where I remember him from.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

There are multiple reasons EB isn’t a head coach, ignoring them at this point is pure pig headedness. It’s also silly to complain about Kafka being hired as an OC, when EB is already an OC. It’s not like MK got promoted straight to a head coaching job.

While agree I don’t see how EB is relevant for this bit of news. What are the reasons beyond his “past”? Because he’s still getting interviews and requests. Which means teams don’t care about it or at least as much as y’all like to point out or he’s just another Rooney Rule prop. He’s an offensive coach and coordinator, so people can’t use the Brian Flores talk of him being a defensive coach. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

What did you call me? 

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

While agree I don’t see how EB is relevant for this bit of news. What are the reasons beyond his “past”? Because he’s still getting interviews and requests. Which means teams don’t care about it or at least as much as y’all like to point out or he’s just another Rooney Rule prop. He’s an offensive coach and coordinator, so people can’t use the Brian Flores talk of him being a defensive coach. 

I was emphasizing the irony of people saying EB shouldn’t be a Head Coach because he doesn’t call plays even though being a head coach has nothing to do with calling plays. However we always promote assistants to coordinators positions even though they have almost no play calling experience.

Also O’Connell got a head coaching job with no play calling experience so I’m hoping we can throw that excuse out the window for EB. 

I’m personally just tired of the contradictions and want people to just say what they really feel.

• Like 1