LeRoy Butler to Pro Football Hall of Fame

Refugee

11 hours ago, Skippy said:

First Packers jersey I ever owned was of him, but after listening to his bs about BLM two years ago, I no longer have his jersey, nor could care less if he is in or not. 

Probably says more about you, than about Leroy, Skippy

Just as a general comment, not aimed specifically at anyone, sporting stars should not be looked on as role models. Just try to enjoy their performance in their area of expertise. They may be stars in their field, but they are also just people, who can be as fallible as the next dude you walk past in the street. The main difference is that dude in the street is very unlikely to have the media spotlight on him constantly and inquiring repoorters digging into their past.

• Like 4

On 2/16/2022 at 4:10 AM, OneTwoSixFive said:

Probably says more about you, than about Leroy, Skippy

Just as a general comment, not aimed specifically at anyone, sporting stars should not be looked on as role models. Just try to enjoy their performance in their area of expertise. They may be stars in their field, but they are also just people, who can be as fallible as the next dude you walk past in the street. The main difference is that dude in the street is very unlikely to have the media spotlight on him constantly and inquiring repoorters digging into their past.

At this stage in my life, no I don't really look at any athlete as a role model. But it sure is nice to have a guy like Giannis playing on my Bucks. My kids and I do follow him and only him now. Met the guy and he seems as genuine as they come. My statement about LeRoy should be expanded upon. I've too met LeRoy, chatted with him. And the day I heard him on the radio took me back some. I hope that clarifies some things about my earlier message. No baiting. No argueing. Just a statement. It surprised me and changed my thoughts on him. And not looking back at selling his jersey. 

1 hour ago, Skippy said:

At this stage in my life, no I don't really look at any athlete as a role model. But it sure is nice to have a guy like Giannis playing on my Bucks. My kids and I do follow him and only him now. Met the guy and he seems as genuine as they come. My statement about LeRoy should be expanded upon. I've too met LeRoy, chatted with him. And the day I heard him on the radio took me back some. I hope that clarifies some things about my earlier message. No baiting. No argueing. Just a statement. It surprised me and changed my thoughts on him. And not looking back at selling his jersey. 

It changed my thoughts towards LeRoy also.  Now I admire him even more.

• Like 5

That this thread has so few posts is disheartening.

LeRoy was an excellent player.  I think he was one of like 3 guys that Wolf kept around when he started running the team.

I've seen LeRoy make plays at safety that I hadn't seen before, or really since.  Dude was a flat out monster back there.

And he evolved his game.  Remember, he came in as a corner in year one.

Add to it his continuing service to the GB community.  He didn't leave after he retired.  He stayed around.  Just an all around great guy.

We were blessed to have him on our football team and in that community.  I'm sure he will be a great ambassador for football now that he is enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

Can I tell you a quick story?

I was probably in my young 20's, living in Green Bay.  I went to mall one afternoon, and I see LeRoy talking on an old (now) phone while weaving through mall traffic.  His eyes meet mine and he knows that I know who he is.  He stops.  And asks me if I would like his autograph?  I stutter out, sure.  He asks if I have anything for him to sign, I say no.  Dude takes his hat off, signs it, then gives it to me.  I offered to buy another hat and he says he has to run and points at the phone.  

That's the kind of guy LeRoy Butler was, and I'll bet remains to this very day.

• Like 9

Yea Leroy !!!  The Butler did it.  I'm a U of F graduate who admired the play of Butler from the time he was with Florida State.  He just made so many plays when he played against my Gators.  He exudes class and holds himself accountable first, and was a fantastic locker room presence from day one with the Packers.  He was a winner in college who brought that winning attitude to the Packers which we desperately needed.  On the field, his instincts were off the chart and he just seemed to be where ever the play was.  In his first couple of years I remember remarking how effective he was as a tackler.  His game continued to grow as he gained experience.  In my opinion, he might be the best safety we've ever had and surely one of the best the NFL has ever seen.  I'll definitely be viewing his Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.  I'm stoked about his election....well deserved !

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vegas492 said:

LeRoy was an excellent player.  I think he was one of like 3 guys that Wolf kept around when he started running the team.

I've seen LeRoy make plays at safety that I hadn't seen before, or really since.  Dude was a flat out monster back there.

And he evolved his game.  Remember, he came in as a corner in year one.

Add to it his continuing service to the GB community.  He didn't leave after he retired.  He stayed around.  Just an all around great guy.

We were blessed to have him on our football team and in that community.  I'm sure he will be a great ambassador for football now that he is enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

Can I tell you a quick story?

I was probably in my young 20's, living in Green Bay.  I went to mall one afternoon, and I see LeRoy talking on an old (now) phone while weaving through mall traffic.  His eyes meet mine and he knows that I know who he is.  He stops.  And asks me if I would like his autograph?  I stutter out, sure.  He asks if I have anything for him to sign, I say no.  Dude takes his hat off, signs it, then gives it to me.  I offered to buy another hat and he says he has to run and points at the phone.  

That's the kind of guy LeRoy Butler was, and I'll bet remains to this very day.

Probably the main reason there is so few posts is that a good percentage of people posting here never saw him play or were too young and don't remember him. Might as well be having a discussion about Don Hutson as far as they are concerned. One thing to note on Butler was he was one of very few that Wolf kept around that was there before he arrived. Wolf even got rid of Bryce Paup who would go on and be DPOY for the Bills, but he did keep Butler.

• 3 months later...

LeRoy is choosing his wife Genesis, and the Gravedigger Gilbert Brown to present him into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I have to say both are thoughtful choices but I hope to see big Gilbert break out the shovel one good time when he hits the stage.

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2022 at 3:48 PM, vegas492 said:

Ah, it is what it is. This place isn't really much of a football board anymore.

For Leroy, what a great moment for him!

41 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Shees, you do love being a hypocrite. You post disgusting and political comments all the time. Then ya get your ***** on when someone else makes a comment you don't like. Pathetic.

What the **** are you talking about? This was from like 2 months ago?

I fully expect this to be a bigger story when we get closer to the induction. It's totally ridiculous that a guy like John Lynch got in before Leroy, but it will be worth the wait. 

I think Leroy was always a little overshadowed in his playing career because he played on the same team as Brett Favre and Reggie White. His 1996 season when he had 5 INT's (1 for a TD), and 6.5 sacks is one of the great seasons ever for a safety.