GB free agency 2022

squire12

There's no further need to argue about Lazard. The reality is that he'll get all the opportunity he can handle this season to put up good numbers/make big plays because it's likely the Packers plan for him to be a significant part of the the offense, so the debate will be won the field when he either puts up the numbers some think he's capable of or he doesn't. If he does, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong and frankly I'll be ecstatic for him and the team. If he doesn't, I hope I don't get 50 new excuses why.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

There's no further need to argue about Lazard. The reality is that he'll get all the opportunity he can handle this season to put up good numbers/make big plays because it's likely the Packers plan for him to be a significant part of the the offense, so the debate will be won the field when he either puts up the numbers some think he's capable of or he doesn't. If he does, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong and frankly I'll be ecstatic for him and the team. If he doesn't, I hope I don't get 50 new excuses why.

Would you be OK with 51 excuses?

16 minutes ago, Norm said:

Lazard is a victim of being a UDFA that nobody ever hyped coming out. 

There is so much truth to that, the same happens to later round picks that are developmental players. Most fans decide they just can't play even after they do develop into good players.  

• Like 1

Maybe lazard is a victim to his relative limited athleticism paired with having a star taking away attention the vast majority of his career. He's a #3 at best on most teams with good wrs.

Blocking wise it works out since he so good in the run game but can the guy get open if we run out he and MVS as our top guys and the defense isn't having to game plan for Adams? Sure hope so, but I won't hold my breath. 

Edited by PackFan13

1 minute ago, PackFan13 said:

Maybe lazard is a victim to his relative limited athleticism paired with having a star taking away attention the vast majority of his career. He's a #3 at best on most teams with good wrs.

Blocking wise it works out since he so good in the run game but can the guy get open if we run out he and MVS as our top guys and the defense isn't having to game plan for Adams? Sure hope so but I won't hold my breathe. 

Explain to me how Lazard is athletically limited but Davante isn't?

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Ironically, he tested fairly similarly to Treylon Burks.  Except Lazard was 2" taller and jumped 5" higher.

But he is limited athletically....at least people suggest

Edited by squire12
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, hitnhope said:

I think, like often happens, we are over rating our own.   I don't think Lazard is anywhere near the kind of player some of you seem to.

If we get 50 /600 we should feel fortunate.  

I am not a huge Lazard fan by any stretch, but I don't get how anyone could see 50/600 as his ceiling.  Lazard was grossly underutilized in 2021 and came out of the season at 40/513.  Something like 60/800 seems like Lazard's floor if he's seeing 6-8 targets per game.  In the final 6 games of 2021 when Lazard actually started seeing regular targets (~6 per game), he posted 35/303/5.  Lazard's best statistical game as a pro was a game Adams missed in 2020, so suggesting his success is heavily dependent on Adams also seems off.

EDIT: My mistake.  The rec count was 23 (not 35) the last six weeks of 2021.  35 was the target count.

I don't think Lazard is a stud WR by a long shot, and I'd always want to upgrade the position if he's taking WR2 snaps.  That being said, labeling him as "just a guy who can block" while listing 50/600 as his ceiling is selling him more than a little short.

Edited by Mazrimiv

On 3/19/2022 at 7:27 AM, craig said:

Oz, and Squire or many other cap experts:  *IF* the Packers were to hypothetically trade Jordan Love, would that basically be a cap-insignificant transaction?  Using Spotrac numbers, I see a $3.4 cap hit to keep him, but he's still got $3.3 of his $6.6 signing bonus left?  So basically if the Packers wanted to trade him, and they liked the return, clearing cap would be zero motivation, any trade would be motivated solely by the value you could get in return; but neither would a trade reduce their cap space either? 

(https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/jordan-love-47621/)

Sorry late getting back to this. Unless we are getting a premium draft pick there is no benefit to trading Jordan Love this year.

Any pre June 1st trade would cost us 731k in cap space (the 94k we save on Love - the 825k for the replacement player in the top 51)

Any post June 1 trade would save us 910k (the 1.735m we save on Love - the 825k for the replacement player in the top 51)

Based on that I don't think we trade unless we can get a 2nd rounder or at worst package Love with a day 3 pick to get a 2nd rounder (i.e. pick 140 and Love for a 2nd rounder)

Edited by OzPackfan

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

On 60 targets, Lazard put up 40/513/8. There's no reason to not believe that if you up his target share, he's going to produce.

Produce like a WR2? I think there's reason to doubt he'll produce proportionally with significantly more opportunities. Cobb was more productive per target, would he have gone off for 70/1000/12 on 100 targets? 

I doubt it.

Targets/gm is mostly a conscious decision by the play-caller, based on the perceived value of targeting that player relative to the other options. Lazard has received ~4 targets/gm for three straight years under MLF.

Adams' unusually high target share says more about Lazard/MVS than anything else. If MLF thought he could get comparable efficiency by spreading the ball around more, he'd do it and happily reap the benefits of that balance. Instead, he's fed Adams ~45% of the WR targets, exactly 10/gm, three years running. Even when MVS missed a stretch of games this year, Lazard still got his customary 4 targets/gm. 

With GB likely to draft an elite prospect and sign a quality free agent, Lazard will be right back to vying with Jones and Tonyan as the 3rd receiving option, to the tune of ~4 targets/gm.   

• Like 1