GB free agency 2022

squire12

On 3/28/2022 at 7:52 AM, Outpost31 said:

I'm not even responding to them honestly. One of them uses emojis, and one of them literally is annoying and can't quite get that she should just ignore me already.

How many free agent WRs have signed with Green Bay since 2012?
How many free agent WRs have re-signed with Green Bay since 2012?
How many Packer receivers have left Green Bay since 2012?

It's not as unheard of as a couple of you are suggesting, especially if you're not the type of person who needs the disclaimer that, "None of them..." means "Most of them."

There's a QB like Brees or Brady who get the receiver the ball as the play is designed and gives them a shot on contested balls. They also throw the ball before they're open, trusting that they will be where they need to be.

Then there's a QB like Rodgers who won't throw to them until they're open, and sometimes not even when they're open.

Like, if you don't understand timing passes and how big of an issue they were for Rodgers in McCarthy's last year... And in LaFleur's first year, and still to a lesser extent right now, don't even talk.

Rodgers is not a first choice QB for a vast majority of receivers if the money is the same, and what's worse, the money isn't the same because other teams are paying their QB less and actually have more money.

No WR is going to take a discount to play with Rodgers.

Some of it is the Packers just not re-signing guys. Obviously we know they don't tend to give out a third contract (Jennings, Nelson, Cobb kind of) but they have also let others like Jones walk.

I also don't know if they really made plays to keep players at the level of Allison or Boykin.

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Be careful, most of this website thinks that doesn't matter AT ALL. 

Not me, GB is boring. When we were in GB for the Bears game in 2018, there was nothing to do after the game and we got locked out of our Airbnb by the old lady we rented from. Outside of the game which was magical and I will never forget, GB was a bad time. GB not being a destination has hurt their FA chances over the years that’s just the hard truth. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, gopackgo972 said:

Not me, GB is boring. When we were in GB for the Bears game in 2018, there was nothing to do after the game and we got locked out of our Airbnb by the old lady we rented from. Outside of the game which was magical and I will never forget, GB was a bad time. GB not being a destination has hurt their FA chances over the years that’s just the hard truth. 

Apparently you didn't hit up Applebees

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gopackgo972 said:

Not disagreeing necessarily, but that is the essence and magic of Green Bay and why it’s the most coveted community in the NFL.  The Packers are GB and vice versa.  There’s no equal in the NFL world.  It’s WHY you go to GB.  It’s Mecca, Jerusalem, Vatican City.  Folks don’t go to GB to get a tan, hang at the beach, or for its culinary attributes.  Players either want to play in GB to immerse themselves in football greatness or they don’t.  Same with the fans or tourists.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Not disagreeing necessarily, but that is the essence and magic of Green Bay and why it’s the most coveted community in the NFL.  The Packers are GB and vice versa.  There’s no equal in the NFL world.  It’s WHY you go to GB.  It’s Mecca, Jerusalem, Vatican City.  Folks don’t go to GB to get a tan, hang at the beach, or for its culinary attributes.  Players either want to play in GB to immerse themselves in football greatness or they don’t.  Same with the fans or tourists.

Partly true. But I've spent a lot of time in GB and there are a lot of folks who choose to live there over more popular places they've previously lived. I debated moving there but didn't simply due to job prospects in my specialized field.

GB is a gateway to the U.P. and Door County and weirdly gets undeserved crap for dining options. GB area has options that surpass Madison, for sure. 

It's a place where someone who appreciates non-crowded access to some incredible nature and sufficient excellent dining options would happily call home. Many many people don't care about bumping nightclubs or frequent entertainment/concert access in their hometowns. Those are events for most are totally fine to travel for.

People who crap on living in GB either have very very different values from the amazing people who do and/or have never actually spent any REAL time in the area. 

It's absolutely more than JUST the Packers and has a lot more to offer. It's on a world-class body of water, for staters.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Partly true. But I've spent a lot of time in GB and there are a lot of folks who choose to live there over more popular places they've previously lived. I debated moving there but didn't simply due to job prospects in my specialized field.

GB is a gateway to the U.P. and Door County and weirdly gets undeserved crap for dining options. GB area has options that surpass Madison, for sure. 

It's a place where someone who appreciates non-crowded access to some incredible nature and sufficient excellent dining options would happily call home. Many many people don't care about bumping nightclubs or frequent entertainment/concert access in their hometowns. Those are events for most are totally fine to travel for.

People who crap on living in GB either have very very different values from the amazing people who do and/or have never actually spent any REAL time in the area. 

The whole Fox Valley is really nice (if you exclude Fond Du Lac). 

This is more breaking news to some, but there are a lot of people who don't like people and would prefer land and privacy. Some of these people play in the NFL. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's absolutely more than JUST the Packers and has a lot more to offer. It's on a world-class body of water, for staters.

All good points.  The only folks I’ve ever met that didn’t enjoy their visit to GB (literally less than five) were those who have no interest in the aforementioned amenities or the Packers.  It’s an awesome place for outdoor and recreational enthusiasts, raising a family, working remotely with the advantages of NOT living in a big city.

I disagree with PackerRaymond that free agents only follow the money.  In most cases, yes, but it’s not an absolute by any means.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

All good points.  The only folks I’ve ever met that didn’t enjoy their visit to GB (literally less than five) were those who have no interest in the aforementioned amenities or the Packers.  It’s an awesome place for outdoor and recreational enthusiasts, raising a family, working remotely with the advantages of NOT living in a big city.

I disagree with PackerRaymond that free agents only follow the money.  In most cases, yes, but it’s not an absolute by any means.

You just agreed with me.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I think we all know there are outliers, but can still speak in certainties when something happens 90% of the time.

Generally speaking, probably so, though from city to city (team to team) I’m guessing there’s disparity.  

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I lived in GB for about 3 years when I was young.  

Now we have a cottage in Sturgeon Bay (Door County).

I loved my time in GB.  Plenty of good places to eat, plenty of night clubs to get into trouble.  But...the cost of living up there is pretty low compared to other parts of the state.

In fact, I thought I read somewhere that the Fox Valley is place where a lot of companies want to put their corporate offices now.  It seems like what employers have to pay for employees with college degrees is much lower than in other parts of the country, just because the cost of living is lower.

UHC just built a gorgeous new corporate center in DePere.  Humana was already there.  And that's the field that I work in.

I loved it there, and still love visiting there.  Would 100% relocate if my employer asked me to.  (But they won't.)

• Like 1

I thought the sledding hill was going to change all that??? 😄

I did see a poll,  had to be 15 years ago on most attractive NFL cities for free agents.

Green Bay was ranked 31st, followed by Cleveland. 

Green Bay is a great place to raise kids, but it doesn't have the weather, attractions, and quality of life many other places have.  Many players are on the first thing smokin at the airport after the season ends.  

Pretty cool place during the season though.