2022 Minnesota Vikings Offseason

SemperFeist

56 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It certainly should still be on the table, but I'd move it down the list, especially if they can get anything from Jones and Robinson in addition to Wonnum.  They will need additional depth, but I'm putting CB, as well as TE (since we know nothing about Irv at this point) even above it.  

And iol...please make our iol better. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sir Fobos said:

I agree that's not the intent, but when you have new blood waiting in the wings or a mediocre starter it's almost inevitable - unless you truly have top-tier talent at the position. In the pre-Cousins days the team juggled so many meh QBs that they were in a nearly perpetual state of controversy. The grass was always greener on the other side.

Cousins is certainly not a mediocre QB, but many perceive him as one. It's ridiculous to blame a good QB who personally performs well and leads a successful offense for losses caused largely by a bad defense. But all it would take for a controvery to brew is for Mond to blow things up in the preseason or for the team to draft a QB on day 1. Many fans are just like that.

All I'm saying is that Cousins can probably take some comfort in the fact that no one will likely be calling for him to be benched in favor of his backup - not that such banter has any impact on the team's decisions. Cousins has some limitations but I think he'll do really well in the new system anyway, so a lot of the unwarranted criticisms should taper off during the season.

Kirk Cousins is like the new Tony Romo. A good QB but needs everything else to click to win.

Sean Mannion just needs to get into coaching. I think he'd be a perfect fit for our current staff. He can be the next QB to young Head Coach just like Kevin O'Connell!

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

As of right now, based on who we signed and let go, would we be in line to receive any comp picks?

This would be my best guess.

Per OTC

Gains:
Harrison Phillips ($6.5M APY) - most likely cancels out loss of Conklin
Jordan Hicks ($5M APY) - released by Cardinals doesn't count against comp formula
Za'Darius Smith ($?? APY) - released by Packers doesn't count against comp formula
Johnny Mundt ($1.2M APY - likely to small to count/matter)
Austin Schlottmann ($965k - see above)

Losses:
Tyler Conklin ($6.75M APY) - imagine this would cancel out Phillips addition
Mason Cole ($5.25M APY) - looks like we could get one here
Xavier Woods ($5M APY) - looks like we could get one here
Nick Vigil (TBD APY) - possible pick here as well depending on contract

Edited by VikeManDan
Updated Hicks and Smith status
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

Really dislike that they brought back Mannion. I’m wondering if CLE is going to be forced to cut Baker, if SEA/CAR is not interested in trading assets for Baker to take on that/part contract. 

I wonder if how they feel about Mond

2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I wonder if how they feel about Mond

I don't suppose the new regime has any feelings about Mond, one way or another. No one got to see what he could do last year. McCardell would be the only coach with any real input...maybe. I could see Mond as a camp cut, but I could also see KOC liking a couple of things about him and keeping him inactive while developing him.

• Like 1

What is everyone's thoughts on the Vikings apparent approach of building through the draft and smaller FA acquisitions vs the current trend (copied from the Rams) of trading draft picks and assets for proven commodities?

3 minutes ago, Wundy said:

What is everyone's thoughts on the Vikings apparent approach of building through the draft and smaller FA acquisitions vs the current trend (copied from the Rams) of trading draft picks and assets for proven commodities?

Its Year 1. It's too hard to say if this current trend will be how our team is built going forward. 

It could be that by next year with a full season under their belts and more cap space we begin to see a change of philosophy.

• Like 1