2022 Minnesota Vikings Offseason

SemperFeist

Chandon Sullivan?  Who here was wildly impressed with Chandon over his Packer career?  Maybe I am mistake but I was never like wow look at that #39 on the Packers, better watch out for him in the future.  

Talk about underwhelming, maybe the dude will be ok, has decent length for a corner long arms but honestly if he is the answer to the Vikings CB problems I would be shocked.  Dantzler is a bad corner so far in the NFL and even he is probably better than Chandon Sullivan.  

Not super excited about that move as the only corner at the moment they have brought in.  

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Chandon Sullivan?  Who here was wildly impressed with Chandon over his Packer career?  Maybe I am mistake but I was never like wow look at that #39 on the Packers, better watch out for him in the future.  

Talk about underwhelming, maybe the dude will be ok, has decent length for a corner long arms but honestly if he is the answer to the Vikings CB problems I would be shocked.  Dantzler is a bad corner so far in the NFL and even he is probably better than Chandon Sullivan.  

Not super excited about that move as the only corner at the moment they have brought in.  

A lot of golf left for the Vikes to pick up some more CB talent. I think Boyd and Hand are sneaky and Dantzler isn’t a lost cause. I like this pickup. It’s decent. Better than Mack Alexander. Likely cheap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HitStickAllDay said:

A lot of golf left for the Vikes to pick up some more CB talent. I think Boyd and Hand are sneaky and Dantzler isn’t a lost cause. I like this pickup. It’s decent. Better than Mack Alexander. Likely cheap. 

His overall PFF rating was 10th highest out of 41 slot CBs.  So he'll be the starter or a back-up for McKensie's position.  He'll probably be about average, for maybe $2.5 to $3 million, and a big improvement over last season's play there.

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I mean, I don’t think this is some swinging for the fences home run hitting signing. Or do the Vikings expect it to be. We still have like 24 spots to fill on the roster before preseason. If he ends up the 3rd or 4th corner that’s fine. 

Getting a solid slot CB for close to league minimum is always a plus. No, Sullivan is not likely a 5 year fixture at the position, he’s not Antoine Winfield in the slot, but he wasn’t signed to be. 

Sullivan is an upgrade over Mackensie Alexander, and that’s what is important. Did they improve at the position over last year? Yes, they did.

45 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Getting a solid slot CB for close to league minimum is always a plus. No, Sullivan is not likely a 5 year fixture at the position, he’s not Antoine Winfield in the slot, but he wasn’t signed to be. 

Sullivan is an upgrade over Mackensie Alexander, and that’s what is important. Did they improve at the position over last year? Yes, they did.

League minimum?  Is that correct, I never saw what his contract ended up being.

Sure a corner is better than no corners, just not sure he has the overall quickness and athletic ability to be a great slot corner if that is all he can do.  Has long arms I know that and gets his hands on the football, still if you are right with this odd run on QBs top 10, where teams will take them way higher than they should be, Vikings could have tons of guys to pick from that fall because of it.  Stingley, Travon Walker and Jermaine Johnson could all be in that mix then along with Jordan Davis so that would be ideal.  

Sounds like people were expecting us to sign Stephon Gilmore and trade for Jalen Ramsey or something. 

It’s a low risk, high upside signing. We didn’t break the bank, he has familiarity with a couple of the coaches, and we need bodies at CB. It’s not like we gave him $20MM a year. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

League minimum?  Is that correct, I never saw what his contract ended up being.

Sure a corner is better than no corners, just not sure he has the overall quickness and athletic ability to be a great slot corner if that is all he can do.  Has long arms I know that and gets his hands on the football, still if you are right with this odd run on QBs top 10, where teams will take them way higher than they should be, Vikings could have tons of guys to pick from that fall because of it.  Stingley, Travon Walker and Jermaine Johnson could all be in that mix then along with Jordan Davis so that would be ideal.  

He is not supposed to be a great slot CB. He is hopefully an average slot at a hopefully bargain price. If we wanted great we’d be going after honey Badger

13 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

He is not supposed to be a great slot CB. He is hopefully an average slot at a hopefully bargain price. If we wanted great we’d be going after honey Badger

At this point, I’ll take bodies. Wouldn’t anticipate great players at this stage of FA unless they are holding out for an insane deal which we can’t afford. If the Vikes can bring back Peterson and draft a CB in round one, that’s a start. Might still be a weakness next year but hopefully having Hunter and Smith rushing the passer will help the secondary. 

I can live with Peterson, 1st round rookie, Sullivan, Dantzler, Boyd and Hand for one year. Maybe draft another slot CB in round 3 or 4 and I think that would be modest improvement. But again, even an average defense gets this team to the playoffs last year and looking at the pool of NFC teams, it seems a majority of the playoff teams have gotten worse. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

He's your average slot corner.  Probably didn't spend too much on him.

19 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

It’s a low risk, high upside signing. We didn’t break the bank, he has familiarity with a couple of the coaches, and we need bodies at CB. It’s not like we gave him $20MM a year. 

There's not much upside.  I liken this to the Lucas Patrick signing for the Bears.  You're probably getting at least a league average slot CB for relatively cheap.