Rodgers reportedly coming back

Arthur Penske

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The rebuild is coming, it's just a question of when the FO pulls the trigger.  If the team had a viable option to move on from Rodgers now, I'd probably be a little more bummed by the extension.  It does not appear that they do, so I'm fine with letting these final Rodgers seasons play out and see what comes of it.  Who among us doesn't want three more years of the Rodgers GOAT/Rodgers Sucks debate?

Agree with this as well. I'm not ready to say Love cant do the trick though. Again, I've only seen 1.5 games from him.

I'm more of the mindset that the FO didnt see a way to ditch a 4 time (2 straight) MVP. Wanna call it bad timing....or whatever. If Davante wasnt pushing to the highest paid WR at the very same time..........it would be easier to swallow - but it is what it is.

I would have accepted the AR trade and seen what this FO could do with the return. I'm not afraid of a rebuild - if done on a solid cap basis. - which apparently the one we're now facing wont be. Oh well. Life's not fair. The FO decided to go another route - okay - lets hope for the best - including - working some cap & contract magic at the end: after AR leaves.

I'm not ready to say Love is a washout either, but I'm sure not ready to pin my hopes on him.  Outside all the Rodgers drama, it's easy enough to understand why the FO made the decision they made.  All Gute needs to do now is draft a RD1 WR, and we'll know he's REALLY serious about winning.

Edited by Mazrimiv

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

I'm not ready to say Love is a washout either, but I'm sure not ready to pin my hopes on him.  Outside all the Rodgers drama, it's easy enough to understand why the FO made the decision they made.  All Gute needs to do now is draft a RD1 WR, and we'll know he's REALLY serious about winning.

It's so insanely likely this happens. I'd be shocked if we don't go get one, trade up, or somehow trade for one 

It's LeBron time anyways. Picks don't matter if we can afford what we can get with them.

4 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

What teams pass on fielding a legitimate championship contender right in thick of the primes of some of their top talent?

This team had one & done written all over it last year and many posters, including myself, said so well before the playoffs even started. We saw it coming.  Would it surprise anyone to see this happen again?  I’d be more surprised if Rodgers got it done tbh.

And I say this as someone who wants Rodgers to prove us all wrong.  

Edited by thrILL!
sp

Now we're stretching this further and trying to say the cap cost the Packers Za'Darius Smith and Billy Turner? Turner failed a physical and the Smith Bros' 2022 fate was decided the day they drafted Rashan Gary. They're not paying ZaDarius what he was set to make, injury or no injury, cap room or no cap room, when Gary solidified himself as a starting OLB. It was one Smith or the other and they kept the more durable one who stacks up better vs the run. Letting Turner and Za'Darius go isn't a cap sacrifice, it's to improve the roster elsewhere. Let's at least have an honest discussion here.

This is turning into one of the deals where fans had their mind made up that if Rodgers was extended, they'd have to gut the roster. And now that that gutting of the roster didn't take place, instead of coming around, people are dug in on a false notion. That's fine, most of you will come around when the calendar to flips to September. Many sooner.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Now we're stretching this further and trying to say the cap cost the Packers Za'Darius Smith and Billy Turner? Turner failed a physical and the Smith Bros' 2022 fate was decided the day they drafted Rashan Gary. They're not paying ZaDarius what he was set to make, injury or no injury, cap room or no cap room, when Gary solidified himself as a starting OLB. It was one Smith or the other and they kept the more durable one who stacks up better vs the run. Letting Turner and Za'Darius go isn't a cap sacrifice, it's to improve the roster elsewhere. Let's at least have an honest discussion here.

This is turning into one of the deals where fans had their mind made up that if Rodgers was extended, they'd have to gut the roster. And now that that gutting of the roster didn't take place, instead of coming around, people are dug in on a false notion. That's fine, most of you will come around when the calendar to flips to September. Many sooner.

They'll never admit they were wrong.  There are certain posters that are so determined to see Rodgers off this team it clouds their ability to judge anything else. This was the most obvious off-season we've had in quite awhile. Don't know why everyone thought we were gonna lose half our team. People that think the salary cap is still a major obstacle just haven't been paying attention to league over the last 5 years.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I can understand why they wanted to do this.  However, we've already proven we're a very good regular season team with this cast.  The proof will come in February.  Can we be a great post-season team?  Only time will tell.  After these last two years, I'm going to wait until February to get really excited.  Hopefully, they can take it all this year.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

You’d be standing on the Titanic saying, “Guys engineers said this ship wouldn’t sink. They didn’t build a canoe! Yes, we should trust the engineers.”

I guarantee you the engineers knew all too well that the ship could sink.  The Marketing department, on the other hand...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's not a 5 year deal. Pretending this is anything other than a 3 year deal is just not being real here. 

This is functionally a 3 year/146,178,804 contract with cap hits of 28.5/31.5/40.5/45.5***

***We're paying the 45.5 the 4th year when he's off the team. 

Perfect structure. 3 all in attempts for a ring then a tank year to get our next QB of the future. 

9 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

I can understand why they wanted to do this.  However, we've already proven we're a very good regular season team with this cast.  The proof will come in February.  Can we be a great post-season team?  Only time will tell.  After these last two years, I'm going to wait until February to get really excited.  Hopefully, they can take it all this year.   

That is very reasonable. I remember the poll we had here prior to the SF game and most were very confident in a good outcome. My reply to that poll was along the lines of "anything can happen with an oblong ball". Maybe the ball will bounce in the Packers favor this time around. I'm a firm believer in giving yourself the best shot you can in the tournament. And short of unearthing someone better than Aaron Rodgers in the 2022 calendar year, I believe they are doing just that.

Edited by Mr Anonymous
  • Like 2

Gee there is a lot of over reaction in here today.

Whether you like the deal or hate the deal, the Packers FO was damned no matter which way they went. Trade a back to back MVP and miss the playoffs and you cop heat and criticism, Re-sign the back to back MVP and defer the pain to the future only to not win a SB and you cop heat and criticism. The only way this doesn't end in criticism is if they win a SB.

Based on that they have no choice now but to give Adams whatever he wants (whilst pushing as much money to 2025 which will clearly be the year all the cap pain gets absorbed) and keep/sign as many supporting pieces to help win a SB in the next 2 years.

Edited by OzPackfan
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

You don’t think a healthy Z is worth $15m? Or that it isn’t even at least a discussion? Or that they wouldn’t have gambled a couple mil to have Turner’s OL depth if he recovers more sufficiently later? 

I don’t remember anyone saying the team would be “gutted”. Or that the team wouldn’t be good to some extent. Just not up to last year’s peak odds. It’s not all just due to Rodgers. But he is part of it.

• Like 1