Colts trade QB Carson Wentz + 2nd to Commanders for 2nd + two 3rds

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

They're getting at least a 2nd round pick for him, imo.

7 hours ago, TheChancellor said:

Feels like a reach but considering how many stupid teams there are in the league, yeah, you're probably spot on. We all know who Jimmy G is at this point.

I mean, people are talking about a second for Jordan freaking Love.  Jimmy probably nets a high second, or multiple picks with what the Commanders just gave for Wentz.

13 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

It will not end up a good move. Washington does not have a better roster than Indy and he couldn't get it done there, but now with Ron Rivera coaching him he's going to lead your team to the playoffs? I don't see it.

It is good.  They upgraded the position.  As I alluded to, look at the QBs in the NFC right now; Wentz is arguably top 5 in the conference.  Whatever he did in Indy with their roster is irrelevant.  He’s in a different conference, in a very winnable division.

Now with that said Washington has a lot more work to do upgrading their roster.  This notion that they were only a QB away from competing is laughable.  Even if they had landed Russell Wilson, I’m still not convinced they’re ready to make a serious playoff push. 

It's a marginal improvement over what they had at best. It would have been better to have kept the draft picks

From Heineke to Wentz is a pretty good improvement, IMO, but generally speaking, I agree with this.  My plan would be to save  the money and picks; roll with Heineke another year, build up the team a bit more, and see where you’re at in 2023.

and/or taking a big swing at Watson. It aint like the Snyder really has any moral high ground to give up. 

Not sure if anyone has been following the Watson situation, but it’s looking like this is not a very good guy, and getting back in the NFL should be the least of his worries...

56 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, people are talking about a second for Jordan freaking Love.  Jimmy probably nets a high second, or multiple picks with what the Commanders just gave for Wentz.

Originally my thought was a second to 2 seconds (anywhere in between).  I was thinking more in line with previous Alex Smith trades. After the surgery, I'm honestly completely baffled by what his compensation will return. 

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

And I think it's a reach trading a second for love, as is a second for Jimmy G, but these trades happen all the time so whatever. I won't say much about Love cause who the hell knows if the kid can play, but Jimmy G is just so.. meh.

14 minutes ago, TheChancellor said:

And I think it's a reach trading a second for love, as is a second for Jimmy G, but these trades happen all the time so whatever. I won't say much about Love cause who the hell knows if the kid can play, but Jimmy G is just so.. meh.

Jimmy G is probably more valuable than either Love or Wentz.  The Colts broke with Wentz publicly after he was mediocre in a great situation and melted down in a game against the worst team in the NFL that was win and in.  Love has been riding the pine for two years and in his game and a half was one of the worst in the NFL.

Grappolo overachieved in the playoffs because there was a strong team around him, but that still puts him as the QB you want if you have a strong team.  Of those three, at least.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Jimmy G is probably more valuable than either Love or Wentz.  The Colts broke with Wentz publicly after he was mediocre in a great situation and melted down in a game against the worst team in the NFL that was win and in.  Love has been riding the pine for two years and in his game and a half was one of the worst in the NFL.

Garappolo overachieved in the playoffs because there was a strong team around him, but that still puts him as the QB you want if you have a strong team.  Of those three, at least.

I think he summed this up about as accurately as possible. Jimmy G. > Wentz, who is probably > Love.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Originally my thought was a second to 2 seconds (anywhere in between).  I was thinking more in line with previous Alex Smith trades. After the surgery, I'm honestly completely baffled by what his compensation will return. 

After the surgery it is a bit tougher to say. As a Colts fan though I can honestly say Jimmy G is one of our better options. If he can simply beat a terrible Jags team when it’s necessary we’re ahead of the curve. I’d be comfortable with something like a 2nd and 4th as compensation, preferably spread over 2022/2023.

If we get him for less than that, awesome! Short of a surprise deal for someone like Kirk Cousins or a trade-up for Kenny Pickett (if possible), Jimmy is actually my ideal scenario. Gives us A CHANCE now while not mortgaging the future on a big risk. 

15 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

After the surgery it is a bit tougher to say. As a Colts fan though I can honestly say Jimmy G is one of our better options. If he can simply beat a terrible Jags team when it’s necessary we’re ahead of the curve. I’d be comfortable with something like a 2nd and 4th as compensation, preferably spread over 2022/2023.

If we get him for less than that, awesome! Short of a surprise deal for someone like Kirk Cousins or a trade-up for Kenny Pickett (if possible), Jimmy is actually my ideal scenario. Gives us A CHANCE now while not mortgaging the future on a big risk. 

Most will tell you that I am not a Jimmy stan. I think he's fine, but he's in a tier of QB that i just don't find very cost effective. They have their moments, basically. 

But I think week 18 perfectly encapsulates the Wentz v Jimmy thing, even if you think that they are similar caliber QBs. Jimmy has struggled in the playoffs I will admit (this year the injuries may have played a prominent role, I can't say for sure), but in week 18, with the playoffs on the line, Wentz was basically a no show (not entirely his fault, the entire team was kind of checked out) meanwhile Jimmy helped to overcome a 17 point deficit to beat the eventual super bowl champs (without Trent Williams). And doing stuff like that isn't completely out of the ordinary for him (in the regular season, at least).  Was Jimmy great in that game? No. He made some mistakes, especially one brutal one on the Ramsey pick. But he played well enough all told, and then he went 90 yards with a minute to go and made some clutch throws including the big one to Deebo. His teammates absolutely adore him as well. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Daniel said:

Grappolo overachieved in the playoffs because there was a strong team around him, but that still puts him as the QB you want if you have a strong team.  Of those three, at least.

Good point. Neither is an overly exciting or crazy good option, but we have seen that Jimmy can at least be consistently average when there is other talent around him. I suppose it makes sense for the Colts in the short term, not like the bar has been set high the last few years anyway.

15 hours ago, Forge said:

Most will tell you that I am not a Jimmy stan. I think he's fine, but he's in a tier of QB that i just don't find very cost effective. They have their moments, basically. 

But I think week 18 perfectly encapsulates the Wentz v Jimmy thing, even if you think that they are similar caliber QBs. Jimmy has struggled in the playoffs I will admit (this year the injuries may have played a prominent role, I can't say for sure), but in week 18, with the playoffs on the line, Wentz was basically a no show (not entirely his fault, the entire team was kind of checked out) meanwhile Jimmy helped to overcome a 17 point deficit to beat the eventual super bowl champs (without Trent Williams). And doing stuff like that isn't completely out of the ordinary for him (in the regular season, at least).  Was Jimmy great in that game? No. He made some mistakes, especially one brutal one on the Ramsey pick. But he played well enough all told, and then he went 90 yards with a minute to go and made some clutch throws including the big one to Deebo. His teammates absolutely adore him as well. 

It's funny...

As a Rams fan, if I never watched Jimmy or Wilson play other teams, I would be pretty convinced that they were the same tier of QB, with Jimmy getting the edge for being more clutch.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

I think he summed this up about as accurately as possible. Jimmy G. > Wentz, who is probably > Love.

The issue is, we know who Wentz is, and it’s not someone that can get a team over the hump. At least Jimmy has proven capable of that (regardless of how much credit you do/don’t want to give him). Love has yet to prove it one way or the other. 

I’d rather have Love than Wentz if I’m Washington. But, than again, I’d probably rather just draft my preferred QB from this class than trade for Love. 

• 3 weeks later...