Jags sign Christian Kirk to a large contract

TheRealMcCoy

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

We see teams overpay like you said every year on free agents. That’s what free agency is every single year and yet people get “surprised” yet again.

Yeah that was my point.

What does this contract being given out do to hurt the Jaguars? Does keeping their money and not spending it and saddling Trevor with worse weapons put us in a better position than where we now sit?

It's not how you build a successful roster. Historically, it very rarely pans out. If it doesn't work, why do it? The Jaguars could have added weapons to the roster without making this move. It isn't one or the other.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

How do you figure? You think Trevor going from Tavon Austin to Christian Kirk in the slot isn’t a massive upgrade? Not sure how you equate overpaid at a position to sucking at a position either. 

This same logic followed when the Giants signed Kenny Golladay and Blake Martinez. How the Raiders felt signing Cory Littleton. The Jets getting CJ Mosley. The Lions with Trey Flowers.

Hey, it's okay that we overpaid for this mid-tier guy, because we were so bad beforehand, the upgrade will still be worth it! Then it turns out the dude who was mid-tier in a good environment winds up struggling when they're suddenly asked to be the guy on a struggling team, and that projected upgrade never really winds up happening. And that money is still lost forever.

Like, if the logic is that there's money to spend, so what's it really matter, I don't get why these teams don't actually go all in. Why spend $20M to settle for Kirk? Throw $25M at Robinson. Throw $30M at Adams. Get an actual difference maker, if the money doesn't matter. Not next year's Marvin Jones.

• Like 3

Just now, minutemancl said:

Yeah that was my point.

It's not how you build a successful roster. Historically, it very rarely pans out. If it doesn't work, why do it? The Jaguars could have added weapons to the roster without making this move. It isn't one or the other.

Because you’re bringing in proven NFL talent on a roster that lacks it in a big way?

Im genuinely curious on the alternative. Came into this FA with the 3rd most cap space with no one internally to pay (besides Chark I guess), and no one besides Josh Allen on the horizon. You just put one of the worst rosters on the field around a stud QB prospect that clearly saddled him. Why would you not throw as many resources around Trevor as you can? 

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Etienne didn't even play last season. They are setting Lawrence up nicely. Marvin Jones was really playing well and Shanult was figuring it out. They didn't have complete scrubs but they will for sure be building him an offense. Kirk is a massive overpay but it is what it is now. They should still draft at least two WRs and one in the first two days.

22 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

In fact, spending $10 million per 50 yard reception seems a bit steep.

You sure about that? Michael Thomas has had line one 50 yard reception his entire career and he's made like 40 million the last three years alone. $10 million per 50 yard reception may be a bargain. 

Just now, .Buzz said:

Because you’re bringing in proven NFL talent on a roster that lacks it in a big way?

Im genuinely curious on the alternative. Came into this FA with the 3rd most cap space with no one internally to pay (besides Chark I guess), and no one besides Josh Allen on the horizon. You just put one of the worst rosters on the field around a stud QB prospect that clearly saddled him. Why would you not throw as many resources around Trevor as you can? 

The are literally dozens of alternatives that are better (foresight and in my opinion, obviously) than this one. They could have traded for Amari Cooper. They could have signed a much better big name WR, like bringing back Allen Robinson, for almost assuredly this same price. Davante Adams and the Packers are far apart on a contract and he won't play on the tag; they could work out a trade for him and sign him to a contract only slightly larger than this and he'd be happy. They could go the quantity over quality route and bring in Juju and Sammy Watkins for the price of 1 Christian Kirk. That's 4 other, better options of the top of my head. No one is arguing the Jaguars don't need receivers and more weapons. This signing is looked as a bad one because of who they signed and for how much money, not what position he plays.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

This same logic followed when the Giants signed Kenny Golladay and Blake Martinez. How the Raiders felt signing Cory Littleton. The Jets getting CJ Mosley. The Lions with Trey Flowers.

Hey, it's okay that we overpaid for this mid-tier guy, because we were so bad beforehand, the upgrade will still be worth it! Then it turns out the dude who was mid-tier in a good environment winds up struggling when they're suddenly asked to be the guy on a struggling team, and that projected upgrade never really winds up happening. And that money is still lost forever.

Like, if the logic is that there's money to spend, so what's it really matter, I don't get why these teams don't actually go all in. Why spend $20M to settle for Kirk? Throw $25M at Robinson. Throw $30M at Adams. Get an actual difference maker, if the money doesn't matter. Not next year's Marvin Jones.

I’m aware teams overpay on players and they don’t always work out. Just like those didn’t work out, some of them do. Most of these contracts have very easy outs after two years and these AAV/full term contracts don’t even matter. Go peep the contracts and dead money on the books for 2023 without these recent signings.

Kirk was pretty easily #2/#3 as far as WRs on the market. So I’m not sure what you mean by mid tier FA. I preferred ARob (and Amari, who I said I wish we would’ve jumped at after the Mike Williams $20M per extension), but Kirk brings a skillset that is also much different than ARob. If they have a high grade on a guy like Pickens in the draft but don’t love many guys in the slot/with the versatility of Kirk, then what’s the plan?

Think we all would prefer to throw the whole bag at a proven #1 like Adams, that wasn’t an option. Amari and to a lesser extent ARob was it as far as superior options.

3 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The are literally dozens of alternatives that are better (foresight and in my opinion, obviously) than this one. They could have traded for Amari Cooper. They could have signed a much better big name WR, like bringing back Allen Robinson, for almost assuredly this same price. Davante Adams and the Packers are far apart on a contract and he won't play on the tag; they could work out a trade for him and sign him to a contract only slightly larger than this and he'd be happy. They could go the quantity over quality route and bring in Juju and Sammy Watkins for the price of 1 Christian Kirk. That's 4 other, better options of the top of my head. No one is arguing the Jaguars don't need receivers and more weapons. This signing is looked as a bad one because of who they signed and for how much money, not what position he plays.

You legitimately think the Jaguars (or anyone for that matter) has a chance in hell at getting Adams? 

Come on…

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

My assumption is that the additional 3 each year is insanely unlikely to be reached and if he does, you won't care because it means good things 

Probably like all pro selections and things like that. 

• Like 1