Jags sign Christian Kirk to a large contract

TheRealMcCoy

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I’m aware teams overpay on players and they don’t always work out. Just like those didn’t work out, some of them do. Most of these contracts have very easy outs after two years and these AAV/full term contracts don’t even matter. Go peep the contracts and dead money on the books for 2023 without these recent signings.

Kirk was pretty easily #2/#3 as far as WRs on the market. So I’m not sure what you mean by mid tier FA. I preferred ARob (and Amari, who I said I wish we would’ve jumped at after the Mike Williams $20M per extension), but Kirk brings a skillset that is also much different than ARob. If they have a high grade on a guy like Pickens in the draft but don’t love many guys in the slot/with the versatility of Kirk, then what’s the plan?

Think we all would prefer to throw the whole bag at a proven #1 like Adams, that wasn’t an option. Amari and to a lesser extent ARob was it.

He's a mid-tier player. He may not rank mid-tier on a list of current free agents, but he is not a difference maker. From a production standpoint, you guys signed Marvin Jones a second year in a row, but this one is younger so they threw twice as much money at him.

This focus on needing a slot just screams Tim Tebow being a "move TE" to me, I'm not going to lie. But if you think they were that desperate for a slot guy, get Juju. Or Landry. Bring back Cole. Shenault played some slot in college. Could go for T.Y. Hilton as a short term option. Byron Pringle or Cedrick Wilson or Ray-Ray McCloud as cheap options. I'd rather have most of these guys for $5M than Kirk for $20M. And you could still then get a better player on top of that.

9 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I mean, Woods was coming off back to back 1100 and 1200 yard seasons & 1250 and 1400 yard scrimmage seasons (and he missed a game in the 1100 yard season). Kirk had the best season of his career in 17 games and it was just shy of 1000 yards. Woods also generally regarded as one of the best blocking receivers on the planet. 

I get what the point of the tweet is, but that's just not a valid comparison 

**edit**

NVM, I kind of missed hte point of the tweet. He wasn't really making the comparison to Woods' deal, but rather to Mike Williams' deal and why there was no outrage there. 

I did say nobody was going to talk about Williams' deal when he signed it though LOL 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

He's a mid-tier player. He may not rank mid-tier on a list of current free agents, but he is not a difference maker. From a production standpoint, you guys signed Marvin Jones a second year in a row, but this one is younger so they threw twice as much money at him.

This focus on needing a slot just screams Tim Tebow being a "move TE" to me, I'm not going to lie. But if you think they were that desperate for a slot guy, get Juju. Or Landry. Bring back Cole. Shenault played some slot in college. Could go for T.Y. Hilton as a short term option. Byron Pringle or Cedrick Wilson or Ray-Ray McCloud as cheap options. I'd rather have most of these guys for $5M than Kirk for $20M. And you could still then get a better player on top of that.

I’m not even saying that was their reasoning for going for Kirk. But teams do have certain skill sets and types they look for that they know can maximize an offense which is more so the point here. If Pickens for example is a target, getting a guy like Kirk is a nice complement.

Only free agent receiver that was better in this class was ARob. Lot of teams seem to be in on him, and ultimately at the end of the day the player has to want to come to said team as well. We also aren’t aware of Cooper and his demands/if he had a say in where he went. Word has it the Jaguars had a better offer on the table.